Wing Commander 3 rant

Icedagger

Spaceman
Sorry, I just had to talk to someone about this. I was just playing WC3 and I was doing a mission in the Locanda system. I had Flint as my wingman and I was flying a Hellcat loaded with IR missiles. Well, the first waypoint was completely clear, but after that, I encountered tons of Kilrathi at every single stop, and the Kilrathi kept getting reinforcements. Just about every kind of Kilrathi fighter imaginable. There was a small cap ship of some kind too at like the 4th navpoint, but that wasn't a big deal. Finally after I had killed dozens of Kilrathi and the cap ship, I finally thought I could go home. But no, the next navpoint was filled with more Kilrathi fighters, including an ace! Everytime I did this mission, I died (Flint never got a scratch, of course, maybe a couple kills). Finally I just got tired of it and ejected at the final navpoint (I was about to die at the time). Then when I get back Eiesen gets mad at me for ejecting and doesn't even mention my many kills. Oh well, I just had to say that. I hope everyone sleeps well!

Ah, this is the mission where you meet Fireclaw, right? I would recommend either the Arrow (if you prefer flying rings around your opponent) or the Thunderbolt if you would rather smash him under with brute force. Apart from that, all I can suggest is that you keep trying. It's a great feeling when you can finally add the first ace to your killscore. :)

Best, Raptor

Originally posted by Raptor

Ah, this is the mission where you meet Fireclaw, right? I would recommend either the Arrow (if you prefer flying rings around your opponent) or the Thunderbolt if you would rather smash him under with brute force. Apart from that, all I can suggest is that you keep trying. It's a great feeling when you can finally add the first ace to your killscore. :)

Best, Raptor

I cannot remember that mission, but I would recommend to try another fighter than the Hellcat... (you really fly the Hellcat willingly?)

I vaugely remember that mission. If I'm feeling ballsy, I send my wingmen home so I get all the kills. :)

I refuse to fly Hellcats or Longbows, usually, but I have a special dislike for Hellcats. They're just average, there's nothing to them at all! You can't hawl back on the throttle like an Arrow or expect huge armor and shields like an Excal or a Longbow.

I thrive on being more of a pilot than a crack shot, so I'd have to say an Arrow would suit the situation better, since you can just outrun almost every Cat fighter in the game with one, and pop a chaff, pull a sheldon slide, afterburn and then shoot off on a completely different angle.

I'm also partial to the "Lead Sled" Thunderbolts, since its gun armament on full salvo is almost equal to a single IR missile. They also have pretty good accelteration for soemthing so heavy and they turn pretty well, albiet not on a dime.

I think my least favorite fighter in the WC series was either the Ferrett or the Banshee. I really like Ferretts as a ship, but I had a terrible tendency to get killed repeatedly in them. The Banshee was a stable thing, but it felt awkward to me since I was always aware that there was the third pylon beneath the cockpit. I'll never understand how a person could fly that or a goddamned B-Wing.

-J

Originally posted by Silent Warrior
Sonntag: Well... yeah! I always look for that extra p-OWER, which the Arrow lacks. The Arrow's only advantage in my eyes (well ok, I'm not too hot on maneuvering all day, I just knock the suckers to shreds) is the extra missiles. Two more than the Hellcat.

Thunderbolt! Thunderbolt! Thunderbolt!
OK we can discuss the Arrow (only used it sometimes), but I agree with you: I almost always used the THUNDERBOLT

Hmmhh...I'll have to consider that for next time. Unfortunately, I went ahead and moved on. I just hope I haven't doomed myself to the losing path now. Anyway, does Rachel get mad if you change the default ship? Just curious. This is the first time I've ever played this game. And yes, I will agree with everyone that the Hellcat is next to worthless. I want to fly the Excaliber again!

I always preferred the lighter ships. Arrow and Ferret were my favorites...I liked the Ferret much better than the Epee. I used the Vindicator more the the Banshee, because, well, the Banshee was fast and pretty tough, but it was weak. You have no idea how hard I found it to sit there and blast away at an ARROW with four lasers. Ugh. Vindicator was slower than the Banshee...and my tastes...but it had some good hitting power. I liked the Arrow, since I could fly rings around my opponent (I didn't, though...not my style :) )

Loved the Wasp...liked the Black Wasp even better. Anything that came near me...died.

Originally posted by Icedagger
Hmmhh...I'll have to consider that for next time. Unfortunately, I went ahead and moved on. I just hope I haven't doomed myself to the losing path now. Anyway, does Rachel get mad if you change the default ship? Just curious. This is the first time I've ever played this game. And yes, I will agree with everyone that the Hellcat is next to worthless. I want to fly the Excaliber again!

She is not happy, however: Rachel does not understand anything about outfitting the fighter. Normally she uses the Hellcat, and she always includes HS missiles instead of IR missiles. Stupid.

Well, give her some credit. Heat-seekers are the most powerful guided missile besides the Torpedo, but I HATE LOCKING ON WITH THEM!!!!!!!

Bad fighters

I always seem to remember that the medium fighter from WC1 (Scimitar?? so long since I've played) was even worse than the Hellcat...a truly dire averageness that was no fun to fly at all.
I did like having to do the first missions in WCIV in the Hellcat, made you appreciate the new fighters so much more.

Re: Bad fighters

Originally posted by Agent_Cooper
I always seem to remember that the medium fighter from WC1 (Scimitar?? so long since I've played) was even worse than the Hellcat...a truly dire averageness that was no fun to fly at all.
I did like having to do the first missions in WCIV in the Hellcat, made you appreciate the new fighters so much more.

Well I didn't like the handling of the scimitar either and pointed it onto my worst 10 list. However, it had really great guns and an ok missile loadout. I think that the Hellcat was worst, even worse than Hornet or Piranha (but I have written that so many times before so I won't say anything about the Hellcat anymore from now on :)

Thru one run of WCIII I actually trusted her judgement on the craft and loadouts. I did find once that she recommended the Hellcat for attacking those fighters going after the Behemoth. I used the Arrow instead, much faster, even tho you can take out all the fighters, it still blows up! So its really up to which particular craft you like to fly, as for me, after the Excalibur becomes available as regular fighter compliment, I use that alot except of course for cap ship runs. Even the Excalibur has limits against cap ships!

RFB

I never minded the hellcat but whenever possible I went for the thud or excal. The thud is a great ship, especially since I rarely miss a shot so I get the full impact of its firing

Ya know, before I started coming to the CZ, I thought the Hellcat was relativly good fighter. As a matter of fact, as far as medium/light fighters go, the Hellcat is one of my favorites. Of course, i'm not that kind of pilot. The LONGBOW is my vessel of choice. Never once died in a Longbow.

I'd much rather be in a Hellcat than an Arrow. My flying style doesn't accomodate the Arrow very well :p

The Avenger was the only semi-decent Borderworlds fighter. and even that was pure crap. The Devastator was nice, but i'd still rather be in a Longbow. Maybe a Longbow upgraded with that plasma cannon *drool*

BUT, I DON'T like the Heavy Fighters/Bombers in WC1+2. The Broadsword was just too damned slow. Some afterburners would have made that an excellent ship. The Sabre was decent. Probably my favorite of those was the WC2 Wraith.

Originally posted by Nep Parth
I always preferred the lighter ships. Arrow and Ferret were my favorites...I liked the Ferret much better than the Epee.

Wow, someone other then me who preferred the light ships. I really liked the banshee at 1300 it was one fast ship, and with the ability to hold eight ir missiles, you really didn't need the guns that much. I found the scatter was often a better choice then the lasers though. Just boost up the gun power so you can fire it repeatidly. I liked it even more for bombing runs though, load up some dumbfires lock your afterburners and you can take out a capship before the enemy can get any real damage on you :) .

Longbow? That hunk of crap?

Well, no, it was pretty good. But the Avenger was superior in every way! And it was cloak capable! Well, sort of. But check the stats...superiority!

I like more the heavy fighter (thud, raptor) than light fighter y like more firepower than speed.

Back