Wing Commander 3 problems please help!

Hangfire

Spaceman
VERY Strange problems with WC3

If I try to run WC3 directly then I get a million and one errors from the joystick not being detected nor the sound being detected and then there are the problems with the joystick/pad

If I try to run WC3 with VDMS then I get a really strange error

Open failed on file: ..\..\DATA\SOUND\GFSAMPLE.IFF

This error is probably the result of a bad CD-ROM read.
Please try running the game again from your latest save
game and the problem should go away. If the problem
persists, you may have a bad CD. If you continue to have trouble,
please call Origin Customer Service for more information

Press any key to continue . . .

oh quick edit

system specs are a P4 2.4 with 1GIG of RAM and running on an ASUS P4PE motherboard and an Nvidia Geforce4 Ti4200 graphics card. With either a Samsung DVD-ROM/CD-RW combi drive, Pioneer A06 DVD+/-RW drive, a Matsushita DVD-ROM and a Plextor 12/10/32A.

I am at my wits end does anyone have a suggestion for me?

I can tell you right now that WC3 wasn't built with that rig in mind, if it should come as a surprise. Is there a soundcard in that machine? I bet lacking one would make WC3 go berserk. ;) What joystick are you trying to use? I bet Ye Olde Analogue is preferred by the game. Unless, of course, you're shaking patches from that french site at the game, in which case I'm not able to provide help.

This is making my head hurt... Well, do you have good drivers for everything? No bizarre write-protection... Um, wait, WC3 reads just about everything off the CD. Can't be that, then. Try reducing a bunch of sliders here and there. :) As far as I can see (and I'm NOT an expert, believe me), it's possible that your rig is either too fast, or the CDs have deteriorated into something unreadable.

What's VDMS?

Regarding the problems with the joystick, I remember that it didn't work well when I first installed WC3. I had to modify the settings (well, use what Origin called an alternate dll)
However, I'm not sure that's enough to explain your sound problems. Moreover, since joysticks are usually connected to the sound card, the fact that both joystick and soundcard are not detected would rather lead to a driver/soundcard configuration problem.

Open failed on file: ..\..\DATA\SOUND\GFSAMPLE.IFF
I'm getting exactly the same Error Message! And yes, I'm using VDMS, too - a program to simluate DOS Soundcard (drivers), Joystick and some more stuff, don't know everything, cause I used it the first time...
Anyway, here is my PC Setup:

MoBo/Case: Shuttle XPC SB51G
CPU: Intel PIV 3.066GHz
RAM: 1GB DDR 333MHz
Sound: Plantronics DSP-500 Headset (USB, the one with soundcard)
Joystick: MS Sidewinder Precision Pro (USB)
Gfx: Radeon 9700 Pro
CD: LG 48x/32x/48x CD-RW + 16x DVD Combo

And to my CDs: They work perfect in my DOS-Rig. Already tried to virtual them, still the same prob. So my guess: It has nothing to do with the CDs...

Oh, and my Josystick /sound works fine in the test proggy druing install.
Hope those infos help to solve the problem, cause I want to play WC3 with that rig, too. It's the only WC game I have not working yet + the WC Prophecy Video Bug - have tried all tips posted in this Forum already, but no go. :( But at least I'm glad, that WC1+ SM1/2, WC2 + SO1/2, WC4, WC5 SO, WC Priv work fine...

I've asked the same question in the VDMS Forum (http://vogons.zetafleet.com), and this is what I got:
These are my WC3 launch pad settings:

[program]
workdir=L:\
params=
executable=WC3.Exe
[vdms.gameport]
enabled=no
[vdms.midi]
useSysExLed=no
sysExLed=Scroll Lock
mapFile=H:\Programmer\VDMSound\identity.map
enabled=yes
[vdms.sb.fm]
enabled=no
[vdms.sb.dsp]
version=4.05 (SoundBlaster 16)
IRQ=7
enabled=yes
devOutID=-1
devOutType=2
buffer=175
useDevOut=yes
useFileOut=no
fileOut=M:\EMS-test\Wing Commander III
[winnt.video]
useVESA=yes
[winnt.memory]
useEMS=yes
useXMS=no
memEMS=8192
[winnt.storage]
useCDROM=yes
[winnt.dosbox]
exitClose=no
[winnt.pmode]
useCLIPOPF=no
[winnt.dos]
useAutoexec=no
autoexec=
useUMB=yes
useHIMEM.SYS=yes
useConfig=yes
config=FILES=40
[vdms.debug]
logEnabled=yes
logFile=M:\EMS-test\Wing Commander III\VDMS.log
useCustomCfg=no
customCfg=
[winnt.scheduling]
compatHWEmu=no
detectIdle=no
[vdms.dmac]
minDMAPeriod=2
maxDMAPeriod=4

I had to use XMS instead of EMS, though, but nevertheless these settings helped me! Now my WC3 is working :D :cool:
Oh, and you can leave the Joystick enabled, doesn't matter. Just fiddle around a bit with the settings to see, whether the settings you want to use work or not ;)

Forgot to update this: Now I'm getting sound problems (clicking in the movies, heavy clicking in the victory and totally bad sound while fighting.) Strange thing is, on my PC with the Audigy connecting the Audiocables from DVD-Drive to Audigy helped slightly, but not much.
Oh, and the fix was the
"[winnt.storage]
useCDROM=yes "
btw. ;)

THE_WUQKED- I had the same problem as Hangfire when trying to load with VDMSound. Now I went to that thread you had and i did not understand half of what was going on. I do not know what EMS/XMS is, or what "Launch Pad" you're refering to. If you have the time, could you please help me out? I'm running Win2k Pro btw. Thanks

Ok, I'll try a step by step instruction (I use VDMS Version 2.10, so might differ with different version):
1. right-click on your VDMS-WC3 shortcut
2. select "properties"
3. in the register VDMSound make sure "Enable low-level CD-ROm support (MSCDEX)" is selected - this one should fix the Error you are getting.

Now to the XMS/EMS stuff (I don't know if I can explain it correct, so if someone else would correct me if I talk pure nonsense, thx ;) )
XMS and EMS are to different routines which allow DOS to use Memory - originally DOS could only use 640KB conventional memory. But as you migght have guessed, that wasn't enough after a while. So the extended memory was needed. And EMS and XMS just let the games / apps use this memory.
This is just what I think EMS / XMS are, but not sure if I got it right and if it isn't more complicated than that. - Didn't know about it before replaying the old WC games either. ;)

And now to the XMS / EMS problem with WC3: Cause those are towo different routines, there are some games / PCs which prefer that one, and some the other one. To be able to run WC3 I had to deactivate EMS or WC3 wouldn't run at all. another one (in the Thread I linked) uses EMS and has disabled XMS.

To change those "XMS / EMS" settings after you made a wC3 shortcut via VDMS (guess you know how to do it, cause you already got errors ;) ), just select properties again and then go to "Advanced"
Under "Compatibilty" you can change the memory (XMS / EMS) settings if you get any other errors (like "Files = 25 in config.sys needed" although = 40 is VDMS default and normally works)

If you didn't save your VDMS settings and don't know how to do so, here is what I did:
1. copy "Wc3.exe" from your CD to your HDD
2. run it with VDMS
3. select "setup custom config" -> "next"
4. select "create new config" -> "next"
5. select "advanced"
6. under "program" -> program change the path to: "D:\wc3.exe" (if D: is your CD-Drive)
7. under "Run in" select D:\
8. now under "compatibility" select "enable low-level CD-Rom support (MSCDEX)"
9. here you can change the XMS / EMS, too, if needed
10. select "Ok" -> "next"
11. check both "remember my settings" and "create desktop shortcut" -> "finish"

now you got a shortcut that you can change
I hope I could help you and didn't confuse you even more :)

P.S.: My WC3 DOS version still doesn't work correct. So if you get it started, but suffer under crackling sound, skipping videos, or random crashes you are there, where I am currently. If you don't have that, you are lucky and I would be gratefull if you posted your settings here :D

no, actually i didn't make a shortcut, all i did was rightclick on the executable on the cd and went "Run with VDMS" so could you please explain that too please? :p

Did that already, if you read carefully, cause I nearly thought so :D
If you didn't save your VDMS settings and don't know how to do so, here is what I did:
1. copy "Wc3.exe" from your CD to your HDD
2. run it with VDMS
3. select "setup custom config" -> "next"
4. select "create new config" -> "next"
5. select "advanced"
6. under "program" -> program change the path to: "D:\wc3.exe" (if D: is your CD-Drive)
7. under "Run in" select D:\
8. now under "compatibility" select "enable low-level CD-Rom support (MSCDEX)"
9. here you can change the XMS / EMS, too, if needed
10. select "Ok" -> "next"
11. check both "remember my settings" and "create desktop shortcut" -> "finish"

now you got a shortcut that you can change

ok, when i run it w/ vdms, it tries to run the program and i just get the
failed to open ./globals.iff, this error is probably the result of....
press any key to continue
and when i press something vdms closes

lol, i'm feeling pretty stupid right about now... if you would be willing to help me out via MSN messenger, I think it would be better than having to keep posting here when i'm having such minor problems following the instructions. gordaya77@hotmail.com thanks!

? You get the Error again? have you REALLY selected "enable CD-Rom support (MSCDEX)"? - At least for me, that was the solution to the bug.
And sorry, I have got no MSN (was even one of the first things I uninstalled after installing Windows XP ;) ) - But I've got ICQ.
Oh, btw: where are you from? I ask cause of the time difference, so we could coordinate chatting better ;)

I'm in the west coast of Canada... so yeah, 8-10 hours behind you

sry for double post, but i'm not registered, anyways i don't have ICQ, we could just talk in the wingnut javachat

we could just talk in the wingnut javachat
Sorry, but who? - Don't know that chat :confused:
Anyway, it's 8:00 am here now. So I guess 10:00 to 0:00 am where you are?
Hmm I guess it's really easier to ask your questions here... Wait a second. I got an idea :D
I'll make screenshots on how to do it, this way everything should be clear (VDMS is in English anyway, so shouldn't make any probs.) See you later ;)

As I said, here is my instruction with pics :)

1. Delete your current WC3 setup, cause otherwise this might not work! (Remember to delete c:\WC3, which always exists, even when installed to another folder)

2. Copy wc3.exe from your CD to the Desktop

3. Rightclick on the wc3.exe on your Desktop

4. Select "run with VDMS"
wuqked.setclan.com/vdmspic/vdms1.jpg

5. Follow the steps in the pic:
wuqked.setclan.com/vdmspic/vdms2.jpg
wuqked.setclan.com/vdmspic/vdms3.jpg
wuqked.setclan.com/vdmspic/vdms4.jpg
wuqked.setclan.com/vdmspic/vdms5.jpg
wuqked.setclan.com/vdmspic/vdms6.jpg
wuqked.setclan.com/vdmspic/vdms7.jpg
wuqked.setclan.com/vdmspic/vdms8.jpg
wuqked.setclan.com/vdmspic/vdms9.jpg
wuqked.setclan.com/vdmspic/vdms10.jpg
wuqked.setclan.com/vdmspic/vdms11.jpg
wuqked.setclan.com/vdmspic/vdms12.jpg
wuqked.setclan.com/vdmspic/vdms13.jpg
wuqked.setclan.com/vdmspic/vdms4.jpg
wuqked.setclan.com/vdmspic/vdms14.jpg

6. Now doubleclick on the new icon on your Desktop: "Shortcut to Wc3"

7. Install WC3 with the settings you selected in VDMS (music: MPU-401, Digital Sound: SB 16 with port 220, IRQ 7, DMA-Low 1, DMA-High 5)

8. Hopefully enjoy the game.

IMPORTANT NOTES:
E: is MY CD-Drive. Change it to what ever your CD-Drive is!
You need your CD in the CD-Drive. - I say that, cause I once forgot it myself :eek:

I hope that everything works for you now ;) - Otherwise, no idea how to describe it even more detailed :confused:

P.S.: Don't get confused by "Weiter", "Zurück", "Abbrechen" and "Fertigstellen" - but these are the only German words (excvept those in the first pic) in this tutorial. - And vdms4.jpg is meant to be there twice.

oooh i found out what our communication problem was all about, the link i had gave me version 2.0.4 lol! so now i got 2.1 and i see what you're on about... so yeah, i'm playing around with some settings. i'll let you know if i get anything good. thanks so much for your help m8!

Back