Wing Commander 3... CD 4 Bad?!? After all these years??!?

Mr_Blastman

Rear Admiral
Well, after 15 years I finally have played through Wing Commander 3. I've had the CD's this long. I've done it on Crazy difficulty... and finally, finally tonight I made it to CD 4 for the first time ever.

It was a big accomplishment, I felt good about myself. I popped in CD 4 after rescuing the dude off Alcor and...

It kept saying please insert the correct CD!!!!!!!!!

I tried rebooting and loading the game with CD 4 instead... Nope! I get that common error you get:

Attempt to re-init() a Tree

So, I'm fucked, right? After all these damn years I can't beat the game? After months playing on Crazy difficulty at that?

Good lord. Help please! :)

Oh, and I'm playing it on a pure MS-DOS system with real DOS hardware i.e. AWE 32 etc. But guess what? I get this same error on a Windows PC as well in Dosbox. I don't know what to do. I can't accept not being able to beat it and I'd like to beat it on original hardware at that. The CD's are authentic Origin CD's. The real deal. I can copy CD 4 to a windows PC fine with zero errors. The files all check out. The CD is clean, nothing, not a scratch on it, never been used.

I think you can run the game with the movies installed to the HD. I can't remember the exact process though I think you just need to copy the (.TRE?) movie files of each disk into the game folder. It will still ask you to inser the disk, though if done correctly, pressing any key will work as though there is a disk.

Okay, I fixed it! I just copied out my savegames to a backup directory, then deleted my old install (15 year old install... which I dd'd via unix over to a newer drive) and reinstalled it via CD 4 and... It works now!

Hahahaha good stuff. The whole scene where you meet up with Flint and Rachel at the bar... LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A kind man chooses Flint, a man true to canon chooses Rachel.

A wise man chooses neither and keeps 'em both happy.

A kind man chooses Flint, a man true to canon chooses Rachel.

A wise man chooses neither and keeps 'em both happy.

Must be why I always chose Flint. I don't think in any of my millions of playthroughs I ever chose Rachel.

Then again, I am very partial to dark hair over blondes...

Back