Wing Commander 3 Ace Guide Series

centaurianmudpig

Rear Admiral
Hey guys,

Wing Commander 2: Special Operations 2 is finished! With WC3 I decided to try out a different style of play, well it's more like a guide. I've removed the vast majority of the cut scene's, generally keeping the briefing scenes and showing off the combat instead, detailing what to expect and how to handle the situation.

The first couple are up, starting with Orsini 1 and Orsini 2, and I have a playlist set up to keep these and future uploads together. This guide is also using a new Videobar feature, much like a DVD remote, you can skip to selected moment's and "hide" the Videobar if it spoil's your viewing pleasure.

If you have any suggestion on how to improve this guide you know what to do. ;) If you enjoy this and my other video's in the WC series, subscribe! I know you want to. :D

My channel is: https://www.youtube.com/user/centaurianmudpig

Yours kindly,
centaurianmudpig

Last edited:
Good to see someone else giving the series a more public face. I myself am working on a playthrough for Super Wing Commander's SM2 on Panasonic 3DO as it features some specific differences from the traditional SM2 on other platforms. The Vega campaign and Thor's Hammer are no different between the series. For example, no Firekka!

I've finished the playthrough dialogue transcription and working on replaying a few select missions for some more screenshots.

Unfortunately, I lack the ability to record much of anything decent with the way noise travels in my home so my media is limited. All pictures are simple high resolution pictures off a Samsung G3 of a fairly large screen SDTV, so please bear with me.

Looking forward to seeing your run after lparchive.org finished theirs a few years ago before the GoG releases.

Thanks! I'll use it to test the scripts I'm working on to see what corrections I need to make. This will come in vary handy.

Last edited:
I always find these types of things helpful to look back on! Just finished SM1 and working on SM2 now myself (but not videoing as I don't really have the means to record anything but short videos atm). Cool project!

CTRl+ALT+F5 is for the built in Dos Box recorder. I had some sink issues with the audio I recorded in Audacity as DOS BOX would sometimes lag for some seconds, which interestingly does not show up in the recording. You can also use FRAPS, by setting up the Config to use DirectX/OpenGL, but then you get much larger file size for the recorded videos.

My first video's where done with just DOS-BOX records, 20 minute long segments. Then just uploaded to YouTube and put annotations in them. I'm not a professional, just looking to do stuff to entertain myself and others.

Centurianmudpig, I just finished going through your SM1 videos and they were helpful, Thank you. I did find a few mistakes in my scripts that I fixed.
At some point I'll have to go through WC1 as well.

I do want to point out that four of your five videos say that they are SM2. You might want to fix that if you can.

Otherwise, Well done. I look forward to the rest.

CTRl+ALT+F5 is for the built in Dos Box recorder. I had some sink issues with the audio I recorded in Audacity as DOS BOX would sometimes lag for some seconds, which interestingly does not show up in the recording. You can also use FRAPS, by setting up the Config to use DirectX/OpenGL, but then you get much larger file size for the recorded videos.

My first video's where done with just DOS-BOX records, 20 minute long segments. Then just uploaded to YouTube and put annotations in them. I'm not a professional, just looking to do stuff to entertain myself and others.

I'm using an actual vintage DOS rig ^.^ (not quite that vintage...an early Pentium using a slowdown program). Complete with Sound Blaster Pro ISA card and CH Flightstick 2 Button Joystick (same model I used years ago with my first sims [though not the same actual stick - don't remember what happened to the original]!). So video recording isn't really an option via software. =oP The video I took a while back was holding my phone. lol.

Merry Christmas guys,

As a present to you, I have created a feature length video of my Secret Missions 1 play through. As an added bonus I've uploaded my first play through of Secret Missions 2 and I've applied more editing skills to cut out some of the mundane parts, i.e. watching a cursor click on someone. I hope you enjoy.

Last edited:
centaurianmudpig, I like that the new format is more concise but the comentry was more organic in your first format and I prefer that.

Also note that the order of your SM1 videos go from 5 to 7 to 6. You may want to fix that as it is a little confusing when Iceman is dead, no he 's alive, no he's dead again. ;)

I also like that you don't keep everything perfect in your missions. That helps me tremendously testing my scripts.
Keep up the good work.

@FredDude32 I was wondering what you meant by Reavers, but it would be interesting to read some fan lore on how they acquired that Dralthi. There must be a few of these types of squads, like how Angel's team went behind enemy lines in WC3.

@capi3101 I'm gonna have to check out your game some point soon, as I have usually avoided turn based games.

@Shades2585 I thought you meant I labelled the video's wrong, but fixed the play list now.
It may have been my mood in the first couple of videos, however, for SM1 I did the commentary on playing it back where I am now adding commentary as I play. The concentration factor of playing while commenting may be the problem. I'll see how it goes for now as I'm also doing the same for a WC2 play.

@quaker2k8 Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed what you watched.

Personally I havent read any lore about the "Reavers"...Though I wouldn't mind either reading about them, or even writing some lore myself. :)
Since I'm Scandinavian I'm not really unbiased though.

As per the updated OP, I've completed my run through WC1 SM2 and have taken a direct course to WC2.

I will be uploading 2 per day for WC2, for a faster turn around. I hope you continue to enjoy these.
If you missed my WC1 SM2 playthrough, watch the full video below.

I finally got round to creating a thumbnail for my WC2 Let's Play. I could have cleaned it up better, i.e. around the Title, but other than that I think it turned out OK.
Wing%20Commander%202%20Thumbnail%20640.jpg

Back