Wing Commander 2 Ports?

Benjamin

Rear Admiral
Ok, a while ago i asked a few questions about ports of various Wing Commander games and how they compared to the original. Recently I realised that I couldn’t think of a single port of Wing 2 and was wondering if any exist? It seems strange that Wing 1 was so widely ported to other machines and yet Wing 2 seems to exist (as far as I'm aware) only on the PC. Can anyone fill me in?

Wing Commander 2 was ported to the FM Towns and the Super Nintendo. Unfortunately, the SNES version was completed but never released, due to declining SNES sales circa 1994-1995.

They did release WC2 secreat ops though i saw it in a bargin bin at walmart once but i didnt get it because i already had it for PC. Back of the cover had the art showing a destroyed pittsburg.

That was Wing Commander: The Secret Missions, a stand-alone port of the first WC1 addon... WC2 was developed afterwards, but wasn't released.

Bandit LOAF said:
Wing Commander 2 was ported to the FM Towns and the Super Nintendo. Unfortunately, the SNES version was completed but never released, due to declining SNES sales circa 1994-1995.

Interesting, have you played the FM-Towns version? How does it compare, any notable differences?

Also were there any ports made of Privateer?

The reason I'm so interested in this is that given the difficulties of running old games on new machines, its far easier to play console versions. A lot of major PC games were ported to the Playstation when it was at its peak and it provides an excellent fixed platform on which to enjoy them today. Not to mention its far more convieneint than setting up an old dos computer which I havent really got the space for. Mind you I have just managed to get hold of a copy of Wings Of Glory (I loved Strike Commander, but never got a chance to play this) and will want a proper setup to play it on

Interesting, have you played the FM-Towns version? How does it compare, any notable differences?

I have -- no noticable difference, save for the music (which is Redbook Audio tracks instead of MIDIs). (And, of course, the game being in Japanese...).

The SNES version, though, was supposed to have a *lot* of differences -- completely redesigned missions, different cockpits (the Ferret has two VDUs!).. and, for some reason, color comms!

Also were there any ports made of Privateer?

Nope.

The reason I'm so interested in this is that given the difficulties of running old games on new machines, its far easier to play console versions. A lot of major PC games were ported to the Playstation when it was at its peak and it provides an excellent fixed platform on which to enjoy them today. Not to mention its far more convieneint than setting up an old dos computer which I havent really got the space for. Mind you I have just managed to get hold of a copy of Wings Of Glory (I loved Strike Commander, but never got a chance to play this) and will want a proper setup to play it on

Eh, I'd go the extra mile and build the machine -- there are a lot of subpar ports of games out there... (WC3 PSX stands out:)). An extra computer case (share a monitor/keyboard/etc with your regular machine) doesn't take up *that* much space.

(Of course, I went all out and set up a machine that can play every port and every regular game... so... don't listen to me. :))

I was able to get the Privateer CD to work on a Compaq 333 with Win98. Didn't have to change any settings or anything. Just popped it, installed it and started playing. I haven't tried any other WC games on it yet. WC1 works great on my newer machine using dosbox. All I had to do was mess with the speed setting so it didn't sputter. I can even use a USB joystick.

Your best bet may be to just find an older machine somewhere. Keeps things simple.

Eh, I'd go the extra mile and build the machine -- there are a lot of subpar ports of games out there... (WC3 PSX stands out). An extra computer case (share a monitor/keyboard/etc with your regular machine) doesn't take up *that* much space.

Your right of course, in fact I'm setting up a DOS machine as I type, just formatting the HD at the moment ;)

Oh yeah you guys talk about building a machine slow enough to handle the DOS versions. I've tried and I can never find components. It's like once the hardware gets to be ten years old it vanishes of the face of the earth.
Well that's my experience at least.
Maybe the underpants gnomes have them. :)

I have the WC port to SNES. It was my very first exposure to the WC universe. I borrowed it from my sister-in-law's brother, and ended up buying a copy of my own.

I can tell you that it's nowhere near as good as the computer version. You can only engage one enemy at a time, you have to remember these complex button sequences to do the simplest of things, the gameplay was jerky and slow, and the graphics were horrible. But, as a first exposure to the world of WC, I didn't know any better, and so I ate it up. Even played (and beat) Secret Missions for SNES. It was awesome.

Then my family got our first computer, and I bought WC3 (the original release, with the midi music and ran in dos). I was floored. Completely floored. Then I bought WC2 delux, with SO 1 and 2, and had the hardest time getting it to run. Then Privateer, and Armada, and Academy. Then WC4. Then K-saga. Then Privateer 2 (which, honestly, isn't WC). Then Prophecy. I'll probably end up buying Prophecy Advance, just because I'd love to have some good WC action on the road.

By the way, how do the controls work in Prophecy Advance? How'd they rig all of that up?

Bandit LOAF said:
The SNES version, though, was supposed to have a *lot* of differences -- completely redesigned missions, different cockpits (the Ferret has two VDUs!).. and, for some reason, color comms!
Supposed? What happened? I've never played it but for a few minutes on an emulator, then I got rid of it :).

C-ya

Isn't it possible that someone made a rom of the unreleased game? I think I've had a few NES roms like that myself over the years.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem so -- I've pretty much tracked down everyone who was ever involved in the design of the game, and no one saved anything :/

Oh well. At least we have the actual PC releases. I have both the WCII Delux Edition and the WCKS. (With SO1 and 2). Too bad my computer is in the habit of crashing these days.

Bandit LOAF said:
You didn't play it at all -- you played WC1 or Secret Missions... WC2 SNES was never released.

Oh, I thought you were still talking about the SNES WC port (talking about a Ferret should have tipped me off, huh?). Thats why I had asked what had happened to all the cool stuff (since none of that stuff you had said showed up in the SNES WC)

C-ya

dextorboot said:
I was able to get the Privateer CD to work on a Compaq 333 with Win98. Didn't have to change any settings or anything. Just popped it, installed it and started playing.
That's because old Compaqs are great for playing old WC games, especially Privateer and Armada. :)

If anything helps, I have the rips of the SNES Wing Commander: Secret Mission music. Been directly extracted from the roms. There's some stuff in there that you don't hear in the PC version of the game. Does the CIC staff have this yet?

Back