Wing Commander 2 (Non-KS) in Windows

TC

SubCrid
Stinger: I was able to get WC2 running in windows again :) I'll post my setup here.

233MMX AMD
Sound Blaster 16
Windows 95
Some generic onboard Video Card (I could get it if I cared)
64MB RAM

Autoexec (I still use it as I find it useful)

@ECHO OFF
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4
REM Sound Blaster
SET PATH=c:\windows;c:\windows\COMMAND
REM Path
SET PATH=%PATH%;C:\GMOUSE
Was path to old mouse driver, is still here because I sometimes use it
LH /L:1,16016 C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\DOSKEY
Doskey
LOADHIGH C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /S /D:IDECD000 /M:10 /L:F > NUL
REM DOS CD-ROM driver (I use Dos alot)
SET SQLANY=C:\handicap\StatCaddie
REM Added by father's handicap software
mode con codepage prepare=((850) c:\windows\COMMAND\ega.cpi)
mode con codepage select=850

Config.sys (really don't feel like adding comments :)

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM HIGHSCAN
WIN=ED00-EFFF WIN=EA00-ECFF
FILES=50
DOS=UMB
LASTDRIVE=G
DOS=HIGH
FILESHIGH=50
DEVICEHIGH /L:1,131680 =C:\WINDOWS\CWBINIT.EXE /O
devicehigh=c:\dosdrvrs\AOATAPI.SYS /D:IDECD000
device=c:\windows\COMMAND\display.sys con=(ega,,1)
Country=004,850,c:\windows\COMMAND\country.sys

Then the game is set to ignore windows, not run in dos mode and to be allowed access to all memory. Once I get Linux running better I'll run WC2 there too :) (Yeah for DOSEMU)

------------------
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC

[This message has been edited by TC (edited January 04, 2000).]

Thanks! Good to see another DOS guru out there.

Hmm... Could someone else out there who has WC2 Deluxe try setting it to ignore Windows (it's an option in the shortcut you get when you run WC2.EXE)? If it's that easy, I'm gonna kick myself.

I noticed that you have your EMM386 set to HIGHSCAN, which tends to interfere with hardware detection. Have you had any problems with it? Will WC2 still run fine if you take out the HIGHSCAN parameter?

And you're right, DOSEMU rocks. I'd love to see a Windows version of it, or something similar; it would finally allow people to run things like old WCs and Ultima 7 with a minimum of fuss. If I can get the required documentation on DOS, I might even make an emu myself. Hmm... perhaps I'll contact the DOSEMU guys.

[This message has been edited by Stinger (edited January 05, 2000).]

Didn't work, huh? How are your setups done (TC and SW)? Are you running from the HD or the CD?

------------------

I'm able to install the game off the CD (the copy I'm using is part of a 10 pack but I've got it working using the deluxe edition (actually the one in the ten pack is also the deluxe edition it is just on a CD with 9 other games)

After it is installed from the CD (which I can do through windows) I am able to run the game fine. (now :)

TC

------------------
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC

Hmm... so that ain't it, huh? Well, perhaps it's the real-mode CD-ROM driver, then... try REMming out the MSCDEX line from your autoexec.bat and tell me if it still works.

Thanks TC, I'll copy that to a boot disk and try and weed through all your comments and see if I can enjoy WCII Deluxe Edition.

------------------
Member of the Blacklance HQ
HTML Assistant: WC Space Command
When I'm in the cockpit, Knight never falls.

Back