Wing Commander 2 Music Identification

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
Yoaf, music experts. Is anyone here good at placing Wing Commander II music? I have 42 tracks of Redbook audio tracks from WC2 that need to be identified.

Tracks 1 through 21 are the in flight music, and I haven't found any MIDI equivalents to them anywhere. If someone wants to help me figure those out, contact me off-list and I'll arrange a download. Tracks 22-42 are the cutscene/talking head tracks... I've identified what I can compared to the existing mp3s and the Origin soundtrack. Does anyone out there know 'what' the MIDIs are?

Here's the list:

Track 22 - (WC2-28.MID)
Track 23 - Jazz's Escape - WC2-29.MID
Track 24 - (WC2-30.MID)
Track 25 - The Bridge - WC2-31.MID
Track 26 - Angel Devereaux - WC2-32.MID
Track 27 - Poker - WC2-33.MID
Track 28 - The Flight Deck - WC2-35.MID
Track 29 - (Mystery Music)
Track 30 - Off Duty - WC2-36.MID
Track 31 - (WC2-37.MID)
Track 32 - Jazz's Storm Clouds - WC2-38.MID
Track 33 - (WC2-39.MID)
Track 34 - Midgames - WC2-40.MID
Track 35 - Main Theme - WC2-41.MID
Track 36 - (WC2-42.MID)
Track 37 - (WC2-43.MID)
Track 38 - (WC2-44.MID)
Track 39 - Prince Thrakhath's Theme - WC2-45.MID
Track 40 - (WC2-46.MID)
Track 41 - (WC2-47.MID)
Track 42 - Main Theme - Cloak and Dagger - WC2-48.MID

What I really need is someone who's familiar with Wing Commander 2, who'll know when various pieces of music play.

I got it, but perhaps Needaham knows something about it, since much of the music from UE are the original WC2 songs converted somehow to work in the Vision Engine.

Track 22 (MIDI WC2-28) is the landing music
Track 24 (MIDI WC2-30) is the torpedo lock music
Track 31 (MIDI WC2-37) is the upbeat O-deck music
Track 33 (MIDI WC2-39) is another O-deck music from Jazz's piano...usually used for "neutral" cutscenes (as opposed to the upbeat or depressing ones)
Track 36 (MIDI WC2-42) is inflight combat music
Track 37 (MIDI WC2-43) is the duel with Jazz (both in the Sabre in the K'tithrak Mang system, and in the Morningstar at Ayer's Rock at the end of SO2)
Track 38 (MIDI WC2-44) is the one on one duel with Thrakhath in the last mission of WC2
Track 40 (MIDI WC2-46) is the victory music from the last mission
Track 41 (MIDI WC2-47) is the mildly depressing music...shows up first after Shadow dies, then generally for depressing barracks scenes.

Excellent, thanks! I may post some of the remaining unidentified tracks later, if you think you can figure out what they are by listening to an mp3.

Yep, Patton's correct (not to be confused with the music that plays during a cutscene of the Concordia jumping in)

31 is Damage assessment after landing.
36 and 40 sound like variants of some medal award, but I haven't heard either before.

36 sounds a little like the Silver Star award, while 40 reminds a little of the Bronze Star award. I might be confusing the two, but neither actually appear in any of the games.

I'm curious, where'd you get those?

WC1 and 2 FM Towns have Redbook (?) soundtracks - so I ripped the music into mp3s as though it were a regular album. 42 tracks each.

The first one (31_Wing Comander) is music that plays after landing, when your fighter rises up and the tech salutes with and gives a one-liner (got away clean, you're lucky to be alive, etc)

The second one(36_Wing Commander) sounds very much like the awards music...I'm thinking it's the awards music at the end of WC1, if you receive the Medal of Valour in Venice 4.

I'm not sure, but the last one makes me think of Credits music

EDIT: On second thought, I'm also leaning towards the "Destroying the remaining Kilrathi naval power in this sector, the Tiger's Claw closes in for the kill" cutscene for the last mp3

The medal of honour (Valour, whatever) theme is something else. It's a shame you can't upload midi files cause then I could give you a demonstration.

Edit: or I could just post this.

SabreAce said:
EDIT: On second thought, I'm also leaning towards the "Destroying the remaining Kilrathi naval power in this sector, the Tiger's Claw closes in for the kill" cutscene for the last mp3

That's the same music that's playing after a succesful mission. :confused:

just a wild guess, but is not this the music for the golden sun award(ejecting and surviving)

For me, 36 is not only similar to the Medal Award music but also to the middle part of the WC1 intro. Anyone else hears that?

40 doesn't ring a bell (except for the link with Medal music).

Mace said:
just a wild guess, but is not this the music for the golden sun award(ejecting and surviving)

Sounds more like the Golden Sun ceremony from WC SNES than WC PC, but it's the closest thing that I can think of.

Back