WING COMMANDER 2 HELP!!!!!!!

Defiant

Spaceman
I got the old wing commander 2 game. now i have compleated the first one again i want to play the second. The dam problem is installing the dam thing. i have tryed all ways from copying the wing2 directory to my hard drive all i get is origin-fx drivers not found. and if i try to install from cd it wont allow me to slect my cd rom. im sure you are getting my idea.

Now i do remember having a little peace of paper that came for a dos copy commands like xcopy d:\wing2 /d c:wing2 somthing like that. If anyone has a copy of the paper can you send me the commands for dos coppying as it worked for me...untill i lost it. In addtion....where can i get all wing commanders you know the saga.

I vaguely remember getting the Origin-FX problem... probably when I set up my WC2 to run from the hard drive. Copying \WING2 to your HD should be enough, but as you say, it doesn't work for you.

To run install WC2 to run from the CD, there should be a batch file called WINSTALL.BAT. Run that.

The winstall in the root directory dont work for some unknown reson. the install from the cd rom wont work any of the installs. i don't have any drivers for the cd rom so i cant play in pure dos. So im kinda stuck. Origin did give a paper with the dulux verson on how to install from dos commands. anyone got it?????

If you can if anyone still has the original wing commander. can i have a copy or the secret ops. why cant they make installs easy now days.

thanks for the help

Re: Another helpful tip:

Originally posted by Silent Warrior
DON'T run WC2 in Windows. Won't work. Nothing.
I'm sure it does. :) At least Academy did. But if you're having problems just getting it running, you should stick to DOS.

Re: Another helpful tip:

Originally posted by Silent Warrior
The WC2 Deluxe-thing seems pretty keen on running from CD only, so be careful with moslo.
BTW, I have WC2 deluxe running from the HD.

I have been having the same experiences

I have been playing games for years, and I cannot remember a more frustrating experience than I am having now, trying to get WC2 loaded and running.

Of course, I first tried using the install program on the CD, but that, of course, just doesn't work, locking up at the "Install from A c d" prompt.

OK, no problem. I went to the Origin Tech support page. Yes! "Manual Install" is listed! I click on it and . . . the response page is corrupted! I check on the other WC response pages, and I can read NONE OF THEM!!

I find this chat zone (thank you, one and all!!) and copy WING2 to my hard drive, as suggested. I run WC2.exe and . . ."Failed to load Origin-FX drivers."

Please, if anyone can solve Defiant's problem, post the solution (you'll solve my problem as well :) )!!

Yea failed to load Origin-FX drivers. That is dam stuped. I have tryed all install ways. including copying from windows. I got the xcopy c:\wing2 d:\wing2 and copy the main files in the directory but not the data directory.

It is begging to really annoy me. Can i have a copy of the secret ops for wing commander.........if anyone has it.

Ho also how do i contact Origin help site so i can ask them.

Don't bother using xcopy; it just does the same thing as dragging the directory to your hard drive in Windows does.

Do copy the directory to your hard drive, though; it makes things easier. Once that's done, go to DOS and run the Install programs in there (NOT Winstall) and, if my memory serves, it should work.

I have tryed the copy and install from HD. to no avail. It say found game do you want to overwrite files. If i say no problem stays. if i say yes it locks up. and luni moso has nothing to do with Failed to load Origin-FX drivers that is the main problem. I think the Kiralthi dont want me kicking there ass in the second one that what i think.....heheheh

When I got WC2 running from the HD, I recall getting rid of a few files that applied only to running the game from the CD, such as CDWEDGE and a few batch files. If there is a WC2.BAT file, perhaps running WC2.EXE would solve the problem.

Update

I got a little farther last night. I found a wc2.cfg file in a subdirectory (folder) called ORIGIN2. When I ran the install.exe in the WING2 folder, it changed this file!

So. I copied the wc2.cfg file to the WING2 folder and tried running wc2.exe. The program seemed to run--it no longer gave me the Origin-FX drivers message, said that it detected expanded memory, and locked up with a repeating beeping sound.

I assume that the configuration found in the wc2.cfg file was not quite accurate, so I'll play around with it tonight. Does anyone have any idea what the entries in the cfg file mean? Here is my guess:

v a904 25 1 (i think)

v=VGA
2=address 220
5=irq
1=DMA channel
I'm not sure about the a904

Yay it works. All it took was 7 hours and 50 odd installs but i got it working in windows. that is win98 heh. Now one last request. Dose anyone have a copy of the ops for wing commander the original. Id really love to a copy please.

And thanks for all your help. All i need to do is make the speach of the story line slow down. i know its one of theses keys..... Arrr i fires a torpedo arrr.

Originally posted by Defiant
I got the old wing commander 2 game. now i have compleated the first one again i want to play the second. The dam problem is installing the dam thing. i have tryed all ways from copying the wing2 directory to my hard drive all i get is origin-fx drivers not found. and if i try to install from cd it wont allow me to slect my cd rom. im sure you are getting my idea.

Now i do remember having a little peace of paper that came for a dos copy commands like xcopy d:\wing2 /d c:wing2 somthing like that. If anyone has a copy of the paper can you send me the commands for dos coppying as it worked for me...untill i lost it. In addtion....where can i get all wing commanders you know the saga.

SOLUTION

1)copy your wing2 dir into harddisk
2)in Windows disable the attribute of READ-ONLY of the wing2 dir
3)in DOS type INSTALL, and choose your options.
4)type WC2 and play
Enjoy !!!!

[Edited by Ghost on 05-05-2001 at 20:29]

Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!

I finally got WC2 to run. Yes, the trick is to remove the "Read Only" attribute from all of the files that have been copied from the CD. The only difference with me was that I had to run WINSTALL.EXE instead of INSTALL.EXE to configure it.

Again (for those who missed it)
-Copy the files to your hard drive

-Remove the "Read Only" attribute from the files (in Windows, mark the files, right-click, and select "Properties"

-Run INSTALL.EXE or WINSTALL.EXE to configure it for your sound card.

IMHO, after reading the threads in this group, this instruction should be repeated every few weeks for those newbies that drop in trying to get the program to run.

Gah, always that little thing that gets people, huh? I don't recall having to change any attributes, but that's could be because I was running DOS 6.22. You can change attributes in DOS as well, y'know.

Back