Wing Commander 2 FM Found (July 17, 2007)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
If you thought Kilrathi Saga was hard to find, you aint seen nothing yet! Kurt has sent us a picture that he describes as "the happy end of a search which went about 10 years into the past of my life." What's he holding? Wing Commander 2 for the FM Towns - one of the hardest to find Wing Commander games ever. WC2 FM Towns was released only in Japan... and even there it seems to exist in more limited numbers than other FM Towns titles like Wing Commander I or Wing Commander Armada. Congratulations on your find - you're very lucky!

--
Original update published on July 17, 2007

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a port of Wing Commander 2 for the FM Towns, a Japanese computer and game console. It's the only port of Wing Commander 2 ever released.

There was an FM Towns version of Wing Commander Armada? Do you know if it was any different from the PC version (like the CD soundtrack)? I didn't even know that version existed!

There was an FM Towns version of Wing Commander Armada? Do you know if it was any different from the PC version (like the CD soundtrack)? I didn't even know that version existed!

It does not have a CD soundtrack - it's very similar to the PC release, except the multiplayer has been nerfed so that it only has the splitscreen aspects (no modem or LAN). There's a nearly identical port for the PC9821, too (another Japanese computer).

I have both of those two... I'm still looking for a rumored PC98 port of Privateer...

Great! WC2 FM Towns has been located. Now all we need to find is the WC2 SNES!

Unfortunately that's an order of magnitude more difficult. WC2 for FM Towns was actually produced, so it's possible to get really lucky or look really really hard and maybe someday find a copy. The SNES version will require some serious archeology work to uncover, but several other things that have materialized over the last few years were once considered in the same league.

Hey.. I have that too.. I think.. maybe.. I have an FM Towns version of some Wing Commander game..

I think Loaf gave it to me..

Back