Wing Commander 1

Overkill

Spaceman
Ok so I've trolled CIC for and enjoyed wcnews.com for the longest time. I’ve just got to say that I'm so glad people are left with the skills and heart to continue on the legacy of WC where it's developers left off. I've played through nearly all of the WC games, 1 through 5 and all the spin-offs as well. Hell, I think the WC series was the reason I upgraded my computer many times back in the day....I started on a 286DX w/ a 20meg(double spaced to 40meg ) HD for WC1 and went up from there....damn that was a long time ago.

Now for my question/problem. I was feeling a bit nostalgic they other day so I thought to blow the dust of my original 3.5" copies of WC1 and give it a play through...Much to my dismay though it seems that the disks have been become corrupted over the years. My question is does anyone know of a legitimate way I could acquire another copy. Since I own the program already I don't know the legality of someone making me a "back-up" copy since mine is busted...I doubt e-bay could save me at this point, but I've been looking anyways.

Thanks for any help fella's

EBay might be more helpful than you think; at worst, you could snag The Kilrathi Saga (WC's 1-3 in one convienent package) but that tends to cost a heckuva lot more than any of the individual games.

Overkill said:
Since I own the program already I don't know the legality of someone making me a "back-up" copy since mine is busted
Thanks for any help fella's

not sure about where ever your from but by Scottish laws (and some others I think) If you keep your originals you could buy a illegal copy and be allowed to keep it. So techincally if someone already had it and gave you a backup copy and you had your original copy then everything is nice and legal for both ends as the guy making the copy is making a back up (which is legal) and you are reciving a back up (which is also legal!) Then again you could be living somewhere where there is a weak copyright law where shops will have "illegal copies." Atleast in Britian there are some decent priced good quality WC1 available on Ebay. Infact I have a copy of the CD version of 1 & 2 for £3 total.
Getting an illegal copy will be ok anyway if you have the original (then it's seen as a back up so it's legal) and if the copier has a copy... unless he's got a big buisness of selling copied games he'll be fine too!

p.s. you may want to back up your floppies onto a CD and back up all your games, cds, dvds unless backups are deemed illegal in your area.

Disclaimer: Different Countries have different laws! I will not be reesponsible for your lack of knowledge of the law should you do the above and it turned out illegal! I am saying what is legal here (Scotland) and it may not be legal in your area.

No one cares if you download it from somewhere. But you're not going to get it through this forum.

These days when i purchase a game, i copy the dvd/cd's and put the originals back in the box, for safekeeping, i am a slob and leave discs around my desk and get scratches on them. there are also tools for making images of diskettes. Many games need the CD in the drive to play.

Also, if i were him i would look up the WC1 CD deluxe version, i'm not sure what gauranteed condition a set of 15 year old floppy disks, even sealed would be in.

Overkill said:
Ok so I've trolled CIC for and enjoyed wcnews.com for the longest time. I’ve just got to say that I'm so glad people are left with the skills and heart to continue on the legacy of WC where it's developers left off. I've played through nearly all of the WC games, 1 through 5 and all the spin-offs as well. Hell, I think the WC series was the reason I upgraded my computer many times back in the day....I started on a 286DX w/ a 20meg(double spaced to 40meg ) HD for WC1 and went up from there....damn that was a long time ago.

Well, the reason so many fans devote so much time to their projects is because there are so many other fans hanging around to play them. The most important thing you can do is play Wing Commander games and discuss other Wing Commander experiences with people on a regular basis.

Overkill said:
Now for my question/problem. I was feeling a bit nostalgic they other day so I thought to blow the dust of my original 3.5" copies of WC1 and give it a play through...Much to my dismay though it seems that the disks have been become corrupted over the years. My question is does anyone know of a legitimate way I could acquire another copy. Since I own the program already I don't know the legality of someone making me a "back-up" copy since mine is busted...I doubt e-bay could save me at this point, but I've been looking anyways.

eBay sounds like the best place to go actually. Shouldn't be too hard to find a copy on CD for a decent price. It's unnecessary to wait for a Kilrathi Saga. It's easy enough to get the DOS one working now.

Thanks for all the replys. I've been passively searching for a replacement copy of WC1 for a while. I *meant* to pick up Kilrathi Saga waaaay back in the day when it came out but I never got around to it. So now it's a touch more difficult to come by. As for backing up my games...well i'm pretty anal about keeping my cd/dvd stored proper so that nothing happens to them. However 3.5/5.25 floppies are another story...I never would have thought that 'd be searching for a program because it's storage medium has a self life of crap. :p

I'm currently knocking down episode 3 of Standoff and loving every minute of it....takes me back to the good ole days. Minus the crappy graphics(by current standards)

Overkill said:
I'm currently knocking down episode 3 of Standoff and loving every minute of it....takes me back to the good ole days. Minus the crappy graphics(by current standards)

Well, Standoff is based on an eight year old game. It's probably not technically current graphically, but it looks great. Part of this is because it uses so much of Wing Commander 2's great art style. This is something that'll look great in Standoff forever, just as it does still in the original Wing Commander 2.

Lt.Death100 said:
If u want to get kilrathi saga try waiting for a good price. I got it for 5$:D

No amount of waiting will drop a $5 KS on your lap. Not even standalone DOS WC1 really goes for that cheap. Sure, it's possible to get super lucky and run across one in a garage sale or something, but $5 is not in the Kilrathi Saga price range he can expect to look for.

ChrisReid said:
No amount of waiting will drop a $5 KS on your lap. Not even standalone DOS WC1 really goes for that cheap. Sure, it's possible to get super lucky and run across one in a garage sale or something, but $5 is not in the Kilrathi Saga price range he can expect to look for.
Well I'm just EXTREMELY lucky then cause I got it for 5$ on ebay for buy-it-now.:D

ChrisReid said:

well in the british Ebay WC1 and WC2 standalones and sometimes the CD with them both come along for a few quid! I got WC 1& 2 in a cd for £3 total! I've seen the the oldies of the series go for the same price as a stand alone too! It does happen often here! As for KS I only saw it once here after I bought WC1 & 2 cd edition and wc3 (on it's own) but after some idiot put the starting bid as £20 I saw it was a blessing in disguess (It was listed to start off as £1.99) and it was sold for about £45- £50 (some people really do want to waste money on games I mean sure there rare/great but from £1.99 to £20 at the starting bid that's just insane!!!)

Back