Wing Commander 1 Remake Released! (August 11, 2007)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
Kevin Caccamo has released a new stand-alone version of the Wing Commander 1 Remake for Flight Commander! Here's the official word and some pretty, pretty screenshots:
The Wing Commander 1 Remake is an individualized attempt to re-create the same gameplay and action that was seen in Wing Commander 1, only this time in three dimensions. Wing Commander 1 Remake has evolved steadily along with Eddie Benowitz's game Flight Commander.

In the standalone release of WC1 Remake, mission briefings, as well as green comm videos were included. Also, new pre/post-briefing videos were included. The Raptor ship has been scaled down for the player's convenience. And at last, but not least, the weapons have been modified to more closely match their counterparts from Wing Commander 1.
You can download it here (67.2 mb).

--
Original update published on August 11, 2007

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so I downloaded it and tried it- but I can't load campaigns, none of the bar chatting works, it crashes on launch whenever I use a Kilrathi ship in the trainsim, and when I die in the trainsim, it crashes saying "can't find eject.png"- did I install it wrong, or what?

Other then the bugs- it does look pretty good when it isn't crashing. I also like the shockwaves you get from exploding Salthi.

Ok, so I downloaded it and tried it- but I can't load campaigns, none of the bar chatting works, it crashes on launch whenever I use a Kilrathi ship in the trainsim, and when I die in the trainsim, it crashes saying "can't find eject.png"- did I install it wrong, or what?

Other then the bugs- it does look pretty good when it isn't crashing. I also like the shockwaves you get from exploding Salthi.

Ok, I can fix most of these in a flash. You did install it properly, though.

I'd like to see what it says when you try and load up a campaign. Type in "flightcommander > log.txt" at the command line and please post the contents "log.txt" here. Thank you.

And here's a patch for you that fixes most of the issues. Just unzip it to your WC1 Remake directory.

Also, the main release ZIP has been updated, too.

Ok, applied the patch, but the Kilrathi ships in the sim still make the game crash, the dialogue when you click on paladin, angel, or shotglass doesn't work, and I still can't access the campaign.

Ok, download the patch again and apply it to your WC1 Remake directory. You should be able to fly Kilrathi ships in the simulator now.

And, the campaign selector is indicated by the red arrow below.

campaign.PNG

Ok, I can access the campaign missions now. Are the bar conversations enabled in this release? The other issue I have is that when I go out on the first patrol with Spirit, for whatever reason, my targeting computer is stuck on Spirit after I activate the autopilot for the first time. Is there some targeting key besides T, or is there some sort of smart targetting turned on that I need to disable?

Oh, one other slight issue- the text wrap doesn't seem to work correctly in the briefing for the briefing text- it continues off the screen.

(Again, the game looks great- I love the way the dralthi looks up close!)

The other issue I have is that when I go out on the first patrol with Spirit, for whatever reason, my targeting computer is stuck on Spirit after I activate the autopilot for the first time. Is there some targeting key besides T, or is there some sort of smart targetting turned on that I need to disable?

There is another targeting key besides T. L locks your target. If your target is locked in FC, you can then select any target you wish. Targeting in FC is quite buggy right now, as it seems to target someone behind you if your target isn't locked.

Ok, I can access the campaign missions now. Are the bar conversations enabled in this release?

Well, it's a good thing that you can access the campaign now. As for the bar conversations, I'm working on it.

And, on another note, make sure caps lock is off during a mission.

Ok- a bit of constructive criticism-

I really like how the game looks, and the implementation of the sound effects and launch tube take off are great- but you need to try and tweak a couple things with the game, and I'm not sure whether you or the FC programmers need to address the following-

Things that need to be addressed-

1. The targeting system needs to be fixed, and ITTS should be turned off, if possible (it is WC1)(and ITTS doesn't quite seem to track correctly)

2. The enemy AI- for whatever reason, the enemy seems to zoom right up next to you, drop down to low speed, and just basically slowly circle right on top of you- some more manuevering by them would really help (I mean, what they do isn't necessarily a bad tactic, but it shouldn't be their ONLY tactic)- it makes it really easy to kill enemies with your own missiles, while NEXT TO IMPOSSIBLE to dodge theirs.

3. A problem I found while autopiloting in the sim away from the Claw is that if you autopilot such that your ship hits the claw during the fly-by animation, you are literally stuck there and aren't able to leave the animation.

4. The heat seekers seem to be able to lock from front aspects instead of just the rear.

5. You might want to include some sort of prompt about flying into the rear wall of the Claw's hanger to land. It took me a while to figure out why I wasn't able to land after I got clearance and I was sitting in the hanger bay.

6. If you can, you might want to speed up the take off and "captured by the enemy's tractor beam" animations- they are cool looking, but the action in the animation runs kind of slow (as in, your Hornet kind of eases off the flight deck instead of getting catapulted into space, and it takes about 30 seconds for that Gratha to reel in your escape pod once it gets you in it's tractor beam) and you don't seem to be able to skip it.

7.- Oh, one other thing- when you're in the bar/barracks, you should include a "hot spot" button that cycles you through different points of interest in a room. I would have had no idea about the campaign selector's whereabouts without your picture above.

Otherwise, the remake is pretty neat. I'm eager to see what your finished project is like, and I certainly love hearing the old "CLANG CLANG CLANG!" sound of guns hitting armor! :) Hope these points help!

Ok- a bit of constructive criticism-

I really like how the game looks, and the implementation of the sound effects and launch tube take off are great- but you need to try and tweak a couple things with the game, and I'm not sure whether you or the FC programmers need to address the following-

Things that need to be addressed-

1. The targeting system needs to be fixed, and ITTS should be turned off, if possible (it is WC1)(and ITTS doesn't quite seem to track correctly)

2. The enemy AI- for whatever reason, the enemy seems to zoom right up next to you, drop down to low speed, and just basically slowly circle right on top of you- some more manuevering by them would really help (I mean, what they do isn't necessarily a bad tactic, but it shouldn't be their ONLY tactic)- it makes it really easy to kill enemies with your own missiles, while NEXT TO IMPOSSIBLE to dodge theirs.

3. A problem I found while autopiloting in the sim away from the Claw is that if you autopilot such that your ship hits the claw during the fly-by animation, you are literally stuck there and aren't able to leave the animation.

4. The heat seekers seem to be able to lock from front aspects instead of just the rear.

5. You might want to include some sort of prompt about flying into the rear wall of the Claw's hanger to land. It took me a while to figure out why I wasn't able to land after I got clearance and I was sitting in the hanger bay.

6. If you can, you might want to speed up the take off and "captured by the enemy's tractor beam" animations- they are cool looking, but the action in the animation runs kind of slow (as in, your Hornet kind of eases off the flight deck instead of getting catapulted into space, and it takes about 30 seconds for that Gratha to reel in your escape pod once it gets you in it's tractor beam) and you don't seem to be able to skip it.

7.- Oh, one other thing- when you're in the bar/barracks, you should include a "hot spot" button that cycles you through different points of interest in a room. I would have had no idea about the campaign selector's whereabouts without your picture above.

Otherwise, the remake is pretty neat. I'm eager to see what your finished project is like, and I certainly love hearing the old "CLANG CLANG CLANG!" sound of guns hitting armor! :) Hope these points help!

Ok, you should adress some of these issues to Eddieb, the programmer of Flight Commander, since that is the engine I'm using right now.

1. It's easy to get rid of the ITTS in WC1 Remake. I know that the ITTS is a little inaccurate. I adressed that on his "formal" feature request and bug tracking site.

2. Yes, the enemy AI definitely needs improvement. Eddieb does plan to do improve the enemy AI in a future version of Flight Commander.

3. Yeah, I'll need to redesign the mission. I've redesigned some already, like the Gateway system missions to be more realistic (Ex. You start off flying away from the Tiger's Claw instead of facing it's backside.)

4. I can't do anything about that right now, except adress that on his feature request/bug tracking site. It does say something about improving the lock cone, though.

5. Hmm... I'll have to think about it. I don't really know where to put it.

6. That's something to tell Eddieb. I'll add it to his feature request/bug tracking site.

7. Ok, I'll add that to his list of feature requests.

And BTW, thank you for helping me get up to speed with my Standalone Release. I'll include you on the Credits page for helping me out.

At last but not least, have you noticed you can destroy the Tiger's claw with your lasers now?

Hey, neat. Best standalone release yet. I've only flown the Hornet so far but I have noticed a few bugs. The capital ship is facing the wrong way in the sim missions, the ship's textures are messed up in some areas, and the ship icons aren't transparent.

I've updated the Hornet so the weapons are lined up and the thrusters are the correct size.

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="ship.xsl"?>
<shipfile name="Hornet" image="hornet2d.bmp" mass = "12500"  hitpoints = "120" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="shipfile.xsd">
   <meshfile numpods = "0"  name="xwahrnt.mesh.bin">
   </meshfile>
   <cockpit mesh="co_dev.mesh.bin" hud="wcgreen.hud.xml">
      <point x = "0"  y = "0"  z = "0" />
   </cockpit>
   <mounts number = "4" decoys="0">
      <mount>
         <point x = "8"  y = "-1"  z = "5" />
         <weapon number = "0" />
      </mount>
      <mount>
         <point x = "-8"  y = "-1"  z = "5" />
         <weapon number = "0" />
      </mount>
      <mount number_of_shots = "1" >
         <point x = "0"  y = "-1"  z = "-5" />
         <weapon number = "11" />
      </mount>
      <mount number_of_shots = "2" >
         <point x = "0"  y = "-3"  z = "4" />
         <weapon number = "8" />
      </mount>
   </mounts>
   <thrusters number = "2" >
      <thruster radius = "0.6" >
         <point x = "1.027"  y = "-0.797"  z = "-4.600" />
      </thruster>
      <thruster radius = "0.6" >
         <point x = "-1.027"  y = "-0.797"  z = "-4.600" />
      </thruster>
   </thrusters>
   <engines number = "1" >
      <engine>
         <point x = "0"  y = "-1"  z = "-5" />
      </engine>
   </engines>
   <shields front = "100"  left = "100"  right = "100"  rear = "100"  regeneration_rate = "20" />
   <armor front = "100"  left = "100"  right = "100"  rear = "100" />
   <speeds roll = "80"  pitch = "80"  yaw = "90"  angular_acceleration = "220"  velocity = "420"  acceleration = "600" />
   <afterburner velocity = "1240"  acceleration = "1200"  fuel = "600" />
   <energy total = "160"  recharge_rate = "32" />
   <debris_set>
      <debris mesh="vak_db1.mesh.bin"/>
      <debris mesh="vak_db2.mesh.bin"/>
      <debris mesh="vak_db3.mesh.bin"/>
   </debris_set>
</shipfile>

eddieb said:
Thanks, I'm sure Kevin will appreciate it.

Somewhat. I do appreciate the bigger engine flame. The reason why I put the guns close together is because I couldn't hit anything with them being far apart like that. That's also the same reason why I scaled down the Raptor: because I couldn't hit anything!

BTW: Go into the sim and kill the Tiger's Claw by destroying it's components with your guns!

Also, I have been working on a small weapons.xml patch that will better improve the "classic" feel of WC1 Remake. You'll see which guns you have selected on your ship. They're all done for Confed ships, but not for the Kitty fighters.

Somewhat. I do appreciate the bigger engine flame. The reason why I put the guns close together is because I couldn't hit anything with them being far apart like that. That's also the same reason why I scaled down the Raptor: because I couldn't hit anything!

Perhaps, maybe some trick could be implemented in the engine so while your in the cockpit the ship shoots closer then it really does. Mmmm, it really does look bad with it closer together. Maybe it could shoot at an angle.

Back