Wing Commander 1 & 2 CD problems

Hey I have been having problems with my new Wing Commander CD which got from ebay (for an amarzong price of £3).

1) I somehow can't install wing commander 2 using Dos box as when I choose my c drive for the saved game directory it says there is an error with it! But I don't have a e,f,g,h etc drives!

2)Of course Wing Commander 1 plays too fast when I try to play it so I downloaded dos box for it. However when I do use dos box no matter what the game is too slow! Can some one help me with this? My comp is a pentium 3 (647Mhz) and I did install the game via windows!

3) This isn't a problem but an annoyance! Can someone tell me if and how I can turn off the copyright security thing (the thing where you have to enter an answer to a question with the answers being in the manuals? I rember my dad saying it was on an old dune game but he managed to get rid of it (I think).

Please help me with these problems and thank you for your time!

scottandfiddle said:
1) I somehow can't install wing commander 2 using Dos box as when I choose my c drive for the saved game directory it says there is an error with it! But I don't have a e,f,g,h etc drives!
[\QUOTE]

Solved it but now I have the same problem with wc2 as described in problem 2)! Help will be appresatated Thank you!

been a while since I've tried anything in dosbox, it was too slow for a lot of games on my P3 500MHz, but i rmember there being some key combination that would increase the cycles, maybe try that.

scottandfiddle said:
Hey I have been having problems with my new Wing Commander CD which got from ebay (for an amarzong price of £3).

In DosBOX, you have to mount the drives, so fo example if you want to use your C: hard drive in DosBOX, you'll have to type MOUNT C C:\ in it before you can use it

scottandfiddle said:
2)Of course Wing Commander 1 plays too fast when I try to play it so I downloaded dos box for it. However when I do use dos box no matter what the game is too slow! Can some one help me with this? My comp is a pentium 3 (647Mhz) and I did install the game via windows!
If you want to increase the speed in DosBOX, the keys are CTRL+F12 to increase the cycles. I don't quite know if your PC will be able to run it smoothly, but it's worth à try.

scottandfiddle said:
3) This isn't a problem but an annoyance! Can someone tell me if and how I can turn off the copyright security thing (the thing where you have to enter an answer to a question with the answers being in the manuals? I rember my dad saying it was on an old dune game but he managed to get rid of it (I think).
Well, no wonder it was so cheap if you didn't get the manuals ;)
As far as I'm concerned, I don't know of any way to turn the copy protection off other than using cracked EXE which isn't the nicest way IMHO.

Hope it helped

DeadFish said:
Well, no wonder it was so cheap if you didn't get the manuals ;)
As far as I'm concerned, I don't know of any way to turn the copy protection off other than using cracked EXE which isn't the nicest way IMHO.

Hope it helped

I did get the manuals but I don't want to spend 5 minutes everytime I want to play WC looking for the right manual and entering the answers. Thats why want to get rid of it!

DeadFish said:
If you want to increase the speed in DosBOX, the keys are CTRL+F12 to increase the cycles. I don't quite know if your PC will be able to run it smoothly, but it's worth à try.

I have tried that but it seemed to actually slow it down more (though I might of increased it too much). Thanks for your help anyway!

scottandfiddle said:
I did get the manuals but I don't want to spend 5 minutes everytime I want to play WC looking for the right manual and entering the answers. Thats why want to get rid of it!

What would be the point of copy protection if you could just turn it off? WC1 asks some very good questions. If you have to struggle to answer them, you should study the documentation. Each answer is something you should keep in memory.

scottandfiddle said:
I have tried that but it seemed to actually slow it down more (though I might of increased it too much). Thanks for your help anyway!

If you increase the cycles beyond what your system can handle, it chokes and runs even slower. You probably don't have a fast enough computer.

Back