Windows deleting autoexec lines

Starkey

Avenging Rooster
I'm moving temporarily to the other side of Tech Support. :D

I have configured my computer to work on DOS, in order to play my WC games. But Microsoft's :mad: Windows 98 is for some weird reason (imagine that) DELETING some lines of my autoexec.bat, which is supposed to stay this way:

@echo off
set dircmd=/o/p
set sbpci=c:\arquiv~1\creative\audio\dosdrv\ *
set blaster=a:220 i:7 d:1 t:2 *
set temp=c:\windows\temp
mode con codepage prepare=((850) C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\ega.cpi)
mode con codepage select=850
lh keyb br,,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\ keyboard.sys
lh c:\arquiv~1\creative\ audio\dosdrv\sbinit.com
lh c:\windows\command\mscdex.exe /d:mscd000 /m:5

Well, EVERY time I start Windows the lines marked with an '*' disappear with no explanation. So when I need my SB PCI 128 to work on DOS I have to rewrite my autoexec.bat and load it again.

When I leave DOS, reset the computer and start it on DOS again, the lines are still there.

When I start the computer in Windows and check my autoexec, those lines are gone. I am sure that Windows is writing them off during Win98 startup.

It's not an obstacle to play my WC games but this problem is really annoying me. Help.

You sure you haven't got a virus? In my (admittedly limited) experience with Windows altering startup files, it doesn't delete lines, it just adds REM to the front, usually adding another line something like this:

REM ****Removed by Windows 9x ****

No, my antivirus is updated and Windows is not "REM"ming my autoexec lines, it´s really erasing them. It´s really weird, though, I´ve even tried to mark my autoexec.bat as a "system" and "read-only" file but it does not prevent the error.

Um

Not the most expert at the subject.... but... Mabe you should make a boot disk so you can boot directly to dos. (I'f my memory is working right) you need the autoexec.bat, config.sis, and command.com..... is there more?

thanks, but I´ve already found a way to solve the problem. I am making a wc.bat file and copying into it the entire autoexec.bat.
Then, when I boot in DOS, my original autoexec (without the lines that are always deleted by windows) do not load my soundcard and then I load wc.bat to replace the autoexec.bat.

It´s not a big problem but it is annoying and mysterious. Years and years of Windows experience and it keeps surprising me.

Back