Windows 95 or 98

jammyo2k

Spaceman
I have a question for everyone with 'vintage' systems. I am considering putting together a very cheap and basic system using old parts to allow me to play my old DOS games that I have been unable to play since upgrading to Win2K. I've considered XP but it is a little too procy for me at the moment and I am not guaranteed compatability with all my old games (i.e. WCP, WCIV, Duke Nukem 3D, Doom). Should I install Win 98 or Win 95? Which would be best for playing all my old titles? I understand that hardware installation would be more time-consuming with 95 but would I get greater compatability and speed? I'd appreciate your opinions. The system would probably have a P200MXX processor with 32Mb RAM and an 8Mb video card.

Cheers

I'd install whichever is most stable for you. For me and most other people that's 98SE. Other than stability issues they're pretty much the same, certainly where DOS games are concerned.

Yep. Win98SE. I am stuck (Yes, stuck) with a Win95 P.O.S., but I still endorse Win98SE as a great OS (Or DOS frontend, what have you) for playing your DOS games and stuff.

Back