Win XP SP2 and Secret Ops Mission Editing

Dark Angel

Spaceman
Help needed with Secret Ops mission editing

Hello everyone!

Could anyone please tell me if it's possible to create missions for Secret Ops under Windows XP? The mission compiler doesn't work, it's a DOS program and no matter what I try, I always get the following dialog:

16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem (TITLE OF DIALOG)

C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

This is the dialog, exactly rewritten (except for the 'TITLE OF DIALOG', that's just my explanation of the line). It appears when I click on 'Compile and run' in the menu after creating my mission. There are two buttons - 'Close' and 'Ignore'. Unfortunately, clicking on 'Ignore' doesn't help. According to it, those system files are unsuitable for both DOS and Windows? What are they suitable for, then!? Does anyone know of any solution to this 'minor' problem, please?

Thanks,
"Dark Angel".

Please note this applies to other utils too (exactly the same error for all DOS utilities except WCP Pascal's compiler). It is strange, since other DOS programs run fine under WinXP... I'm probably going to disgruntedly abandon all hope of ever creating a mission or opening a TRE file or similiar. I could still write missions in WCP Pascal, at least if I were any good with numeric (coordinate) positioning of ships... Oh damn... Wish I had spatial imagination!

Please, if there are utilities from anyone else than HCl, tell me about it! Not that the utils are bad, I can't say that, they just don't work under WinXP (at least mine, maybe SP2 has anything to do with it?). Nothing personal against HCl, either. I don't find it worthwhile to install another operating system, though.

Sometimes, I feel as if I emitted constant EMP waves... Computers around me just stop working sometimes.

WCPPas is just about the only tool you need for creating missions. I can't help you when it comes to the older mission-editing tools - I haven't used any of them since WCPPas appeared, which was long before XP.

I found WCPPas too. It's good, I'm just missing a graphical map-editing UI, but that's a detail. Now my main concern is that all HCl's tools show this problem - including Treman, which would come in handy.

Treman works just fine in XP. If you're having difficulty running it, either there's a problem with your system, or you're doing something wrong.

The problem's probably with my system - I'm very unlucky when it comes to this kind of stuff. I have to reinstall XP about once in every three months or so (probably the result of being connected to the Internet)... :(

Back