Will Microsoft dominate another industry???

Knight: I have all the parts to do that right now. Except for the DVD drive, which I don't plan to buy in the near future. And they are even starting to talk about those FMD optic discs that hold up to 140GB, or something like that.

Silent Warrior: I still have my Mega Drive(Genesis) with that CD addy. But I don't know if it still works. It's so darn old now... I also love Shining Force. I still hope there'll be a RPG game that combines the mass combat from Shining Force, with the Combo spells from Phantasy Star IV and the graphics and other elements from FFVII and FFVIII.

Pretty cool screeshots that the people from Lucasarts have put ip on their site.

Oh, and the fatal random thought: do you really think Microsoft can do that Xbox thingie without it giving us a single crash, freeze, GPF or blue screen of death? Even NT is bitchy at times...

------------------
The WC Source Code Release Project needs you!

"This matter winds itself ever in new riddles.", Faramir - The Lord of The Rings

"...we follow the sun, we follow the sun, we follow the sun..."

[This message has been edited by klaus (edited May 20, 2000).]

Heh, I doubt it. Of course, I don't know anything about the Xbox, but I reckon it will have internet capabilities just so you can download patches from Microsoft
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Patches from Microsoft? Heheh
biggrin.gif

That just adds to the mayhem.
biggrin.gif

I hope they ship a Win2000 install CD with the Xbox.
smile.gif

------------------
The WC Source Code Release Project needs you!

"This matter winds itself ever in new riddles.", Faramir - The Lord of The Rings

"...we follow the sun, we follow the sun, we follow the sun..."

klaus, I have an article on that someplace around here, those FMD discs, says that most DVD discs have like 2 layers, but those opticals could have up to 10 or more. The first discs will have like 4 layers, for a shitload, and then the bigger deals that'll come out later have 10 layers and will hold hte 140 GB. Those drives'll support everythign, CD-ROm, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD, whatever you can put in it that'll spin, and they're going to be pretty quick too.

------------------
HTML Assistant: WC Space Command
Administrator: UBW 5th Fleet
Member of the LMG and hating it (Disgruntled Man)
I might be right, I might be wrong, but then again, I just might not care either. Got a problem with that?--Me.

hmm..just wondering...how big is the X-box gonna be?PIII...nvidia chip..is it hot?how to cool the damn thing?

Well, the PIII they are going to use will most likely be a coppermine, which requires less power, and therefore runs cooler. Also, I heard a rumor that it will be a chip ment for laptops, so it'll be that much cooler too. But that's just a rumor, don't hold me to it. I'd imagine it'll have many cooling methods. Like TC said, fans will be the priority.

------------------
HTML Assistant: WC Space Command
Administrator: UBW 5th Fleet
Member of the LMG and hating it (Disgruntled Man)
I might be right, I might be wrong, but then again, I just might not care either. Got a problem with that?--Me.

There's a pretty good editorial in the latest Maximum PC on the X-Box. It states basically that since Microsoft was afraid of the Anti-Trust stuff;
the pulled back on PC game compatibility and web browser capability.

They say in the end, it ends up as console like Sony, Sega and Nintendo, which tend to divide the market and actually hurt the development of
PC gaming.

It was a pretty good read, and brought up points which I had not considered. It may be a good business deal for NVIDIA, but for PC gaming as a
whole it doesn't help us.

I still think that Microsoft's team working with NVIDIA will bring about good API stuff for DirectX 8 and NVIDIA chips.

PC Game compatibility? Web browser comppatability?? I thought this was a console game machine. Sounds to me like they 're tyring to turn it into a laptop without a view screen.PC's have one purpose. Consoles have another. I'm not in any hurry for someone to create 2-in-1.

All the thing needs internet connection for is to get updates and play games on-line. The only reason it needs broadband is because people are moving dial-ups everyday. It only needs broadband to reach a wider audience than the Dreamcast.

[This message has been edited by Sonic98 (edited May 25, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Sonic98 (edited May 25, 2000).]

Which issue was that? The May issue? I think I remember it. nice to see I'm not the only person on this board that gets that mag.

Back