Will Microsoft dominate another industry???

Sonic98

Spaceman
I've seen a lot of people talk about the PX2, but what do you think of the X-Box? Will you get it? Is microsoft trying to over step it's bounds?

Oh yeah I'll get a console that runs windows (permanently not like the DC) crashes and helps line bill gates' pockets, I'm sticking for a Dolphin, it seems to be the sensible but somewhat overlooked choince, after the PS2 but before the X-box, mid specs of the 3, mid release date, cheapest price, nintendo, rare, silicon nights
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
No, because by the time the X-box comes out, it will be outdated. I'd look for the Playstation 3 (or the PSX2's next decendant, whatever it may be called) to be coming out either at the same time, or shortly after the X-box. The X-box is supposed to have a 600Mhz PIII, (was supposed to have AMD K7, but AMD got screwed over, another reason I won't buy), it's also going ot have a 300Mhx nVidia X-chip and 64MB of DDR memory. it'll have an 8 gig storage, the Win00 Kernel, and will be released in the fall of next year. it'll also have USB, NIC, HDTV, and DVD.
Now, lets compare those to a PC in 2001. at least 1.5-2Ghz, a 350Mhz GPU (possibly the GeFor2, but might be it's successor), 128MB or better of high-speed RAM, a holy shit load of storage, both mounted and removable, Windows Mill or Linux, and will support everythign under the sun now, and then.
The X box sounds high tech now, and surely if it were released tomorrow, it'd be at the top of the charts, but how will those specs compete next year against the Dolphin, Dreamcast2, and like i said, the next PSX.

------------------
HTML Assistant: WC Space Command
Administrator: UBW 5th Fleet
Member of the LMG and hating it (Disgruntled Man)
I might be right, I might be wrong, but then again, I just might not care either. Got a problem with that?--Me.

Whatever console I go for must have 1st and 2nd party support, most 3rd party stuff comes to the PC anyway, and I just love 1st/ 2nd party stuff, when was the last time sony made a worthwhile game? Microsoft made starlancer and some flight and golf sims but nothing to blow your socks off.

I'm sure that they will improve the specs before it comes out. I heard that it was gonna have a Willamette Proecessor and a NV20 video card. I doubt that the Playstation 3 will be out before 2004

I don't know maybe this question is stupid but do you think Windows games can be played on the X-Box?

------------------
There's No Point In Ho's If You Can't Share 'Em With Your Bro's

I dunno, but I heard rummors that you can.

------------------
Robert "Meson" Stukowski

Wing Commander is more than just a game. It is a lifestyle.

I heard that rumor too.

------------------
I might be right, I might be wrong, but then again, I just might not care either. Got a problem with that?--Me.

Funny, I thought the official word was that you couldn't play PC games on an X-Box. Whatever, I might be wrong but I don't care.
And by 2001 Nvidia will have released whatever comes after the Geforce2. I believe they plan on releasing a new product every 6 months. Which really kinda sucks. I don't have the cash to keep up. As for a 1.5Ghz chip, I hope so, but I wish Intel would come up with some sort of new architecture. Thier chips run way too hot to not have an active cooling system ...

And down with consoles!
smile.gif
Up with PCs!

BTW, does anyone know the current availablity of Athlon 800Mhz chips, their motherboards and RDRAM in australia? My parents are coming over for a visit and I'm hoping to squeeze some cash out of them. Then I can set up my current system as a Linux box. Yay!
biggrin.gif

------------------
Mess with the best, die like the rest.

Like Lucasarts is gonna make any adventures in the near future
mad.gif

------------------
The time is near.
There are still quite a few days remaining.

I don't care for fame, power or money...
I just want to FIGHT!
-Sanosuke Sagara

Lucasarts is to Monkey Island, as Origin is to Ultima. There definitely be another aventure game form Lucasarts

------------------
Robert "Meson" Stukowski

Wing Commander is more than just a game. It is a lifestyle.

[This message has been edited by Meson (edited May 16, 2000).]

Ok, everyone, can I have your attention please, in regards to the X-box, it will have Nvidia's NV-15 chip, the next step up from the GeFor (NV-10). I'm reading a thing as I write this, about the PSX2 and the Xb. It says that the PSX won't be as popluar, because it'll be harder to write games for, and that the Xbox uses DirectX, so it'll be just like coding a computer game today. In other words, look for alot of games for the Xbox to be computer games and vice-versa.

Just wanted to say that little piece.

------------------

Back off topic... I'm still pissed about Microsoft buying Access... after the cliffhanger at the end of Overseer?!? Knowing Microsoft, they've probably cancelled the Tex Murphy games too! hmph...

------------------
"Your job is not to die for your country, your job is to make some poor dumb bastard die for his!"- Patton

Monkey Island 4? Cool! Except... wasn't the ending of Curse pretty much conclusive?
Ah, but who am I to argue, when a brilliant game spawns yet another sequel?
biggrin.gif

From Cnet.com:

Microsoft demonstrated the X-Box with a prototype box using an NV-15 graphics processor. The chip, at present, has approximately 10 percent of the capability that the final X-Box chip--the NV-25--will have. Dan Vivoli, Nvidia senior vice president of marketing, told Gamecenter that the X-Box graphics chip was approximately two generations beyond the NV-15 and three generations beyond the latest PC graphics processors, in terms of technology.

[This message has been edited by Sonic98 (edited May 17, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Sonic98 (edited May 17, 2000).]

Buy an Xbox, open it up. Carefully take out the graphics card. Figure out how to put it into an AGP slot. See if we can take the drivers from the Xbox's HD (or where ever). Port them over to a PC.
smile.gif
Now that would be cool.

But my bet is that all the hardware will be hard wired into the motherboard. But that would have been a good plan.

------------------
Mess with the best, die like the rest.

I was thinking the same thing. Someone said something to me the other day about opening up the X-Box and putting it into thier computer. I told them that I Was pretty sure that it would be one of those embedded deals.

How bout they go ahead and stick an SB-Live Platinum of whatever the best A3D card at that time will be. If we're getting top graphics, we mighy as have the best sound.

I mean, think about it. More people probably have thier tv or VCR hooked to a great sound system than have thier computer.

Well, give me a few years, and I'll have the best of both worlds. Medium TV, dolby digital surround, and my computer with DVD, all in one room, with the sound from the SB Live! I'll have piped to the reciever/amp for the speakers.
smile.gif
Like I said, it'll be a few years
tongue.gif
Like 10-20!
smile.gif

------------------

Back