Will IWar2 Revive Genre?

Marcml30

Spaceman
While most of the reviews seem to be favorable, I was wondering what WC fans had to say about the I-War2.

Since I didn't care for the first one, I don't really have any desire to shell out cash for the second one UNLESS the story/immersion factor is up-to-snuff. The reviews say the I2 is set 100 years after I2 so it probably will have little resemblance to the first game (remind anyone of anything?). Then again, other than a notable physics model, there was little in I1 that made it more than a "vanilla" space game.

Opinions?

I've got in on order but one things for sure it won't revive the genre, just maybe keep us space combat fanatics at bay for a little bit longer

It has real physics and you fly a corvette or something, certainly not a fighter. It's very different from Wing Commander, Freespace and the likes, so how well it sells will not affect the space combat genre at all.

As much as I respect Wing Commander, I have to admit that after four years, Prophecy is starting to show its age. Sure, it was the best space combat sim on the block - but that was FOUR YEARS AGO.

I'm certainly not dissing WC or anything (why would I even be here), I'm just saying that this pilot needs more than the sixth Midway sim mission and replaying the campaign twice. If a new WC game does come out, I'd hate to see it just Prophecy repackaged with new ships and maybe a few new characters. I'll buy it, but i'd be mighty dissapointed that Origin allowed WC to stagnate and die. Sorta how I am now. :(

As for I-War2, granted, it's a quite different game from Prophecy, but it IS a space combat game, and there may be a couple of things we can learn from it. Think about it, people.

Hmm, I liked IW1 because it was different. IW2, while having great graphics, is a bit buggy and not too user-friendly (and sometimes really hard). And I think that it is too uncommon to revive the genre. Sadly...

Originally posted by KrisV
It has real physics and you fly a corvette or something, certainly not a fighter.

I've always liked the idea of flying something bigger than a fighter/bomber.

But are real physics a good thing in a game? I still have nightmares about trying to fly in Frontier:eek: :D

I-War's engine is like Privateer 2's? Yeah, they're identical twins. Like how P2 has no physics, and I-War has physics. No doubt, they're exactly the same.

For the most part, space sim fans and I-War fans are very different people. I-War won't affect average space sims, or the other way around. Just like a great new cheese won't make people more interested in quality pinewood chairs.

I have played them all: free space, x-wing, iwar, mantis, echelon, etc and etc. No one can be compared with WC series. Not a single one. They may look better. They may have more fun in fighting. But none has the depth, the atomsphere, the "being there" feeling as Wing Commander.

So I see space sims as having two categories: 1. Wing Commander, 2. the other space sim games. They are totally different things.

SPOILER !!! (well, kind off...)

I've bought I-War 2 - The Edge of Chaos with great expectations, but... I'm not going to lie to you. The game is beautyful, the "physics" don't get in the way and the story is very good. But there's the other side of the coin. I don´t want to be a spoiler, but the only choice you've got is to be a pirate. After that, they will give all kind of missions, but only related with piracy. I think it's a kind of game that any WC fan would like, but it's not Privateer 3 in anyway. It's a bit like Xwing Alliance.

I'm more interested in Jumpgate. It sounds like the Privateer meets Everquest game we WC nuts need 'sides another WC game.

Originally posted by KrisV
For the most part, space sim fans and I-War fans are very different people. I-War won't affect average space sims, or the other way around.

It's very different from Wing Commander, Freespace and the likes, so how well it sells will not affect the space combat genre at all.
I don't argue that space sim/Iwar fans are different people. I actually considered Iwar to be closer to a *true* space simulator because of its physics. However, I don't agree that I-War2 couldn't revive the genre (provided it is successful). Granted, from what I've read, it will not be like flying a fighter but still - at it's core its a space combat game. I mean, if you're piloting a space craft like you did in WC, shooting down enemies, etc etc - who cares if it's just flying a *bigger* ship? What other genre would it fit into? And if it's a success, the game companies might try to replicate that success by generating more space combat sims.

In a portuguese magazine I've read a this :

" The same company that made "Starlancer" (Digital Anvil, I presume...) is developing a game called "Bounty Hunter" that will be a mix of a spacesim and a FPS. The release date will be sometime next year."

I've done some research and I can't confirm this. DA is producing a game called "Loose Cannon" where we will be in the role of a bounty hunter, but I couldn't find the sapacesim part anywhere.
Do any of you guys know anything about it?

I think that a Spacesim / Fps combination would be explosive !

Loose Cannon isn't a spacesim.

It's like an interstate 76/ FPS crossover in wich you play somewhat of a bounty hunter

Originally posted by LeHah
I'm more interested in Jumpgate. It sounds like the Privateer meets Everquest game we WC nuts need 'sides another WC game.

I had the beta of Jumpgate, and deleted it after a week. I wasn't impressed with it at all.

Originally posted by No Regret
Loose Cannon isn't a spacesim.

It's like an interstate 76/ FPS crossover in wich you play somewhat of a bounty hunter

That's right but I think the project has been abandonned (because of... well you know who...)

I tried Iwar2... and it can't be denied that this is most beautiful space comabt simulator today... (i'm waiting for Freelancer).
This is very impressive, especially when you enter nebulas... (there is a nice fog rendering effect)

Back