Wikipedia.org needs help w/ WC

LeHah said:
Elephant jokes had their day in the sun, sure. But everyone knows them now; they're tired and old. Internet humor is fast approaching the same level.
I'm sure Chuck Norris would disagree with you. And by disagree I mean roundhouse kick.

rofl lawl

Case in point: the other day some dumbass added a 'cancelled games' section to the Wing Commander page.

Now, sure, great - there've been dozens of cancelled Wing Commander projects over the years, you could write an interesting article about that. Except in this case, it ended up being three 'stubs', for Privateer 3, Privateer Online and 'Wing Commander 6: Strike Team'... and a paragraph bitching about how these titles were cancelled because the movie didn't perform well.

... except Privateer 3 and Strike Team were cancelled long before the movie came out, and the major Wing Commander Online project people are familiar with wasn't even *started* until afterwards.

So instead of a web site listing all the fascinating cancelled projects (including completed games! Prophecy DVD, Wing Commander AGA, Wing Commander 3 for the Saturn, Wing Commander 2 SNES! Amazing stuff!) you have some e-dork being an asshole because he didn't like the Wing Commander movie.

powell99 said:
Strike team?

Purported to be the title of the next "prophecy" game after secret ops that would have had an emphasis on multiplayer (hence the "team" part of the name).

Yes, Strike Team was one of the immediate post-Secret Ops projects.

I don't think it was at any serious stage when it was cancelled, but it is one of the better known projects because Electronic Arts UK listed it in an advertising booklet about future releases.

Strike Team was cancelled in late 1998 -- between a time when I visited Origin and took a picture of a 'Strike Team' sign and when I got back to read an e-mail from Boomer asking me not to post that since the project was dead.

Wing Commander AGA was an improved Amiga port of the original Wing Commander (for the A1200) that was completed but not released. A Wing Commander 2 Amiga port died somewhere on the vine, too.

I wonder if they would pick up where WCSO left or go for a new story altogheter on a new WC game.

Bandit LOAF said:
Case in point: the other day some dumbass added a 'cancelled games' section to the Wing Commander page.

Thankfully that wasn't me, although I did notice it with displeasure... I have been doing some editing on WC if you're interested!

I wonder if they would pick up where WCSO left or go for a new story altogheter on a new WC game.

The last several attempts have all involved going back to the Kilrathi War.

Thankfully that wasn't me, although I did notice it with displeasure... I have been doing some editing on WC if you're interested!

I am glad people are editing WC, and the new 'about WC' project Bob McDob has coordinated is certainly much better than the old elaborate system of random ships having backstories made up for them... but it just takes one "Iceberg3k" to stupid up everything else.

well, then us good guys fix the supidity...
Sure, Wiki is no good for serious works and has a few mistakes here and there, but the good/bad information ratio is not that bad.

Pardon my distaste but why does WC even need a Wiki entry when we have the CIC (slowly) making a definitive guide to all things Wing Commander?

More people know about Wikipedia than Wing Commander... I would have thought so anyway... It could draw new members to the community?

With the drooling all over Slashdot when Privateer Remake was originally released, I doubt the techie community (who seem to be the primary source for those who take Wikipedia more seriously than it deserves, IMO) is unaware of WC. Ditto how most gaming articles in magazines or on web pages inevitably draw comparisons between any new space sim games and WC.

Personally, I find the ignorance of not knowing about WC more tolerable than artificially induced ignorance caused by uninformed random idiots using what could otherwise have been a significant reference as a platform for their pontificating and ranting based solely on their own cherished misconceptions of WC.

Death said:
Personally, I find the ignorance of not knowing about WC more tolerable than artificially induced ignorance caused by uninformed random idiots using what could otherwise have been a significant reference as a platform for their pontificating and ranting based solely on their own cherished misconceptions of WC.

As usual, you eloquent state what I inarticulately think

Peidu said:
More people know about Wikipedia than Wing Commander... I would have thought so anyway... It could draw new members to the community?

Yeah, you don't really have all that many people who type "Wing Commander" into Wikipedia and find their way here via that link to the CIC at the bottom. A hell of a lot more people just type it into Google and click the first link to get here.

Back