Why was Angel taken alive?

Shane

Spaceman
Or why did she let herself be captured? Confed was at war with the Kilrathi and she was on a mission that she had to know could win the war for Confed. Why would she risk letting that information fall into Kilrathi hands. I'm not a big fan of suicide, but in this case, I don't think she and her crew had much choice.

As a follow up, why did Thrak off her so quickly instead of finding out why she was there?

I think she knew that the mission would be a one way trip, the chances of her getting out alive was extremely slim. That is pure dedication of ones self to a cause. I would suspect that the Kilrathi were "big headed" since they had these big plans to invade Earth. So they just didnt think about getting any information from her. Fortunately, it all worked out in Confeds favor.

RFB

Angel

I'm sure they squeezed Angel for info...I don't think there was ever a date stating difference of when she was captured to the opening of WC3.

Then again, doesn't it make sense that Angel gets interrogated and then Eisen says the Kilrathi have gotten wind of Confed supply lines?

-J

Originally posted by RFBurns
I think she knew that the mission would be a one way trip, the chances of her getting out alive was extremely slim. That is pure dedication of ones self to a cause. I would suspect that the Kilrathi were "big headed" since they had these big plans to invade Earth. So they just didnt think about getting any information from her. Fortunately, it all worked out in Confeds favor.

RFB

That would go good in the insults thread. "Big Headed". Good one!

I think Napoleons right. But even if they had interorgated her, I don't think they would have gotten very far anyway.

Unless they would have used some form of mind reader or doused her with drugs, I too think they would have gotten very little information from her. I think they sort of admired her since she was, as they put it, a true warrior. That definately came true when they killed her. As with any war and POW's, if one was to be interrogated, they usually have to go thru alot of POW's before even getting close to any usefull information. History shows (WWII) that most POW's that end up in interrogation, end up dead, regardless if they got info out of them or not.

RFB

Prince Thrak clearly states, in the intro, that there will be no interrogation. He was so convinced that the Kilrathi strike on Sol would finish Confed, that he allowed himself to terminate Angel and the others without even trying to get anything out of them. That was his biggest mistake.

Originally posted by Mad Hatter
Prince Thrak clearly states, in the intro, that there will be no interrogation. He was so convinced that the Kilrathi strike on Sol would finish Confed, that he allowed himself to terminate Angel and the others without even trying to get anything out of them. That was his biggest mistake.

His big mistake was being born :p

Angel was captured in '69 -- *after* the Battle of Terra, since she see's Blair while he's in the hospital.

Thrakhath's pride and willingness to display the dramatic got him in trouble. Strong words such as "...there will be no interrogation..." was to show to his brethren than he was bold in NOT getting information out of them.

A lot of that scene was propaganda, especially I guess since a fair few Killies were doubting the stance against the humans, ie Kill them all.

Maybe the crew also had hope to be just held as slaves(like the K. often did with caught humans). What did happen with the rest of the crew? He only said 'Do with them what you want.'? They were also killed,or? I mean if I had hope to stay alive I'd definitely not kill myself, because as slave they had the chance, that Confed wins the war before they're dead and they are set free one day. But in Angel's case? As mission leader of Secret Operations I'd also let life have been life and killed myself....but directly, consequently and immidiately, before the K. come abroad the ship.

Or what about a nice present???If they didn't want anymore? Full speed, hoping to have still enough explosive fuel on board and directly into the Imperial Palace. Funny either! Whooampf! *LOL* If suicide then right!!!

A more significant question would be how Angel got to be on the Kilrah mission in the first place. She may have been a veteran pilot, but she had no SO experience, and as far as I know, no scientific knowledge either. So why was she there? What a waste of a perfectly good Wing Commander :(.

Well, she had two years of Covert experience -- she transferred there in '67. Plus, as SO2 (and SO1, and Freedom Flight) shows us, covert teams need pilots... someone had to fly the captured Kilrathi transport, at the very least.

In the WC3 Novel by Forstchen, all the Covert Ops
crew of the transport had undergone deep hypnotic
preparation with instructions to "forget" if they were
captured. So there wasn't much point in interrogating
them -- they no longer knew anything.

Also, RFBurns: you mention reading about
someone's experience that most
POWs who go into interrogation wind up dead. To what
are you referring? And whose experience? If memory serves, ALL POWs of all nationalities are
subjected to at least a cursory interrogation, and
there were quite a few prisoners -- nay
the vast majority of those Americans or Germans captured -- who did not die during the course of their internment.
The Germans killed lots of Russian prisoners, but that
was more due to malnutrition and exposure in confinement
rather than the rigors of interrogation.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Personally, I always figured that Angel was on the mission because the strike would be carried out by fighters. It would make sense that the people setting it up would see things from a fighter pilot's POV rather than a ground pounder's.

Best, Raptor

well probably she piloted the transport, was there as a fighter liason, as well as possible led the mission, and they needed a begium chick

Back