Why Not Requisition Kilrathi Ships?

True, and perhaps the reason why the Bearcat is so close in performance (though clearly inferior) to the Bloodfang is because Confed learned how to make ships faster and stronger by studying the Bloodfangs... still I would've loved to fly one. I also contend that it could crush the Excalibur in a dogfight given equal piloting skills. The only areas where the WC3 Excalibur is superior is in its extra guns and missiles (the WC4 Excalibur has even less missiles). The Bloodfang is faster and more maneuverable than the Excalibur, so assuming it isn't destroyed on the first pass and doesn't overshoot due to poor piloting skills, it will end up on the Excalibur's tail and fly close enough to fire missiles that can't be evaded by the decoys.

Mjr. Whoopass said:
I agree that many of the Kilrathi fighters were inferior to Confed's, but NOT ALL. I would've loved to fly the Bloodfang fighter. Again, I'm not claiming Confed should have requisitioned Kilrathi ships, I'm merely showing that there were superior Kilrathi fighters that COULD be worth requisitioning IF it proved cost effective. .

The Bloodfang was Prince Thrakhath's personal custom craft. There is just one squadron known to exist. For all the many reasons other people have stated (alien controls/seats/mechanisms, no spare parts/service), it couldn't have been cost effective to use Bloodfangs.

Fair enough.

So is there only 1 in existance because it's a personal custom craft, or is there an entire squadron? Either way, I agree that it's not cost effective, but I'm just curious.

It's Thrakhath's personal craft, and the craft flown by the elite Blood Most Noble squadron.

Mjr. Whoopass said:
I'm not sure what "FC" means, but if it's WC canon, I would nominate this for the best explanation for why ship requisitioning never occured in the WC universe (of course as we know, the real reason is because the people who made the game didn't want to do it) .

FC stands for False Colors, it's one of the WC novels. It takes place between WC3 and WC4 and follows the Landreich's efforts to turn a badly damaged kilrathi Bhantkara class carrier (the KIS Karga) into a usable terran vessel. Kilrathi systems are very different from human systems. The kilrathi have a lot more redunancy built into their systems because they are very decentralized as opposed to terran ships which have very centralized computer systems.

If you are really interested in the subject I highly recommend picking up the book and while your at it you should pick up the other ones too...all fun reads.

When I read FC I tought they werer refering to the 6-deck supercarriers from FA... I was prety disapointed when I found out the Karga was just the run-of-the-mill kat karrier we wasted so easily in WC3. I am impressed how it killed two cruisers with guns!

Anyway, it was hell to fix the thing up. They had all kinds of problems...

BTW, pitty they didn't make a followup book, the story of the kilrathi prince would have been interesting. Like Thrall's story lost between Warcraft2 and 3.

Edfilho said:
BTW, pitty they didn't make a followup book, the story of the kilrathi prince would have been interesting. Like Thrall's story lost between Warcraft2 and 3.

There were two books that were to follow FC but both were the ideas of Andrew Keith and his untimely death several years ago has basically put an end to there coming into existance. I do not believe either one ever got past a very basic outline stage.

Mr. Keith described the proposed story as 'a Kilrathi Bonnie Prince Charlie'.

I didn't get the "bonnie" reference... :p But I knew that it was Mr. Keith's demise (and lack of publisher interest) that kept us from reading what happens next :(

Eh, he'd kind of have to be -- it would probably be outside the bounds of a Wing Commander novel to install a new Kilrathi leader.

... because tie-in novelists can't see the future? Who controlled the Kilrathi was a pretty established fact in most of the games, and there was no reason to assume it would suddenly fall into the realm of something a novel could decide.

It's the same reason Star Trek novels don't blow up the Enterprise or kill Captain Kirk.

Back