Why not GoG.com??

Yeah,
My copy of WC one is on floppies, there is no way I could get it to go onto a newer system because they don't make computers with floppy drives anymore. I don't see why I should have to buy a really old game all over again. Oh well.

You could get a USB floppy drive and try to get the game to run using DOSBox.

Edit: just seconds too slow.:(

Yeah,
My copy of WC one is on floppies, there is no way I could get it to go onto a newer system because they don't make computers with floppy drives anymore. I don't see why I should have to buy a really old game all over again. Oh well.

You can also find a computer that does hold a floppy drive, create images of your disks using a program like winimage and burn to to a CD, copy to USB stick or e-mail them to yourself.

And in case your copy has gone bad over the years, I do not know the rules that would apply for you downloading those disk images, since the copy-protection is still controlled by the values in the manual. And the game was ported to CD-rom at least 6 times(Well, I own six versions of WC1 from different CD-rom editions), and those are cheap to find in a game store anyway.

You might not want to pay 50 dollars for it anymore, but 2 or 3 dollars should not pose a problem right?

Sounds like GoG is the way to go then. Besides, I still have old running computers that can use it, I just have to dust them off and get them set up again to get em going.

If anyone is wondering, i've kept my word. Last week i bought WC 1&2 on GoG and today I bought WC3 and also Privateer. Whoever listened to my plea from years ago, whoever bribed whomever, THANK YOU!!!!!!! I'm proud to once again own Wing Commander games - not just own them, be playing them again!!!!!!!!

edit/update: what a perfect 100th post. I may not be the most active, but i'm a life long WingNut.

-NuAngel

Heh, the secret history of the GOG releases will probably never be known. :) But we can thank Paul Barnett at Bioware Mythic for getting the ball rolling... and then our own PopsiclePete and NinjaLA for doing proof of concept work on a Wing Commander DOSBox package.

edit/update: what a perfect 100th post. I may not be the most active, but i'm a life long WingNut.

We're glad to have you here.

It does seem most likely, at this pace, that we'll be seeing WCIV and WCP as well. But I'm wondering if we'll get our hands on the less popular Acadamy and Armada games? Or even Privateer 2?

Anticipation is mounting!

-Nu

Back