Who was Lt. Jack Slayton? (SO Question)

you have to defend the Midway with a Devestator at the beginning of the second to last mission in Prophecy...

Originally posted by Mav23
you have to defend the Midway with a Devestator at the beginning of the second to last mission in Prophecy...
You just happened to be in a Devastator when they attacked. It was bad timing.
If you forced to launch to defend the Midway (or any Carrier) from a fighter attack in a bomber, then you are already in deep shit cause all of your Superiority fighters must be dead!

Originally posted by RATM
Correction, the midway has over 250 SHIPS not pilots, imagine each time someone ejects, you lose the ship right? if you got 250 pilots, then how many would stay grounded for lack of ships???? I think its possible that there would be 100 pilots no more, 50 on a night shift 50 on a day shift, that would be *logical*, a lot more logical then having 250 fighters and 250 pilots, i never seen a scramble where your defending your carrier with a devestator or an swac :) (or however its spelled)

No, that would be *illogical*. The Midway (or any carrier) is going to have a crew for every fighter/bomber she carries. Only 100 pilots? That means that there are 150 aircraft sitting in the hold doing jack except for taking up valuable space. Who in their right minds would do that?

Nope. One crew per fighter. The fighter gets downtime and maintenance while the pilot sleeps. The number of crews that manage to eject and get picked up would realistically be a lot smaller then the number of ships lost. In that case, they just share or rotate fighters. You could also lose pilots to injury/illness.

Additionally, in reality a pilot/crew would stick with his fighter, rather then switching all over the shop. Flying a bomber is a lot different to flying a fighter. Of course, this would make for a rather boring space sim ... but flying fighters AND bombers is not realistic.

Well maybe pilots of the future are just better.:)

But i agree with the pilot for every fighter thing.

I always thought it would be cool to see "Col. Christopher Blair" or "1st Lt. Lance Casey" on the side of a fighter in WC :)

(but it WOULD be boring to fly just ONE fighter)

I dont see a problem with restenciling a name every time they switch squadrons. Though it did seem a lot less formal than that in the other games.

Pilots in the Air Force or Navy are generally assigned to one type of fighter...Imagine if WC was like that...

Panther 4.0, anyone? :)

Originally posted by Supdon3
I dont see a problem with restenciling a name every time they switch squadrons. Though it did seem a lot less formal than that in the other games.

No problem with that. A rookie would start in a lower squadron (Tigersharks & Piranhas). Then, when he (or she) is proven in battle, he gets promoted to a better squadron and fighter. Except it wouldn't happen overnight (someone has to be promoted to open a vacancy, or die while still leaving their fighter intact for you to move into, or just screw up :) ), so after a tour of duty would be more realistic. They certainly wouldn't fly a different class of fighter every mission.

Originally posted by RATM
Correction, the midway has over 250 SHIPS not pilots, imagine each time someone ejects, you lose the ship right? if you got 250 pilots, then how many would stay grounded for lack of ships????

Correction, with 252 ships the Midway would most certainly have 250+ pilots. If the only pilots on the Midway were the ones listed on the killboard than you would have 190 horribly expensive fighters waiting in the hangars.

Furthemore, we know from the novels and the WC movie that carriers like for example, the End Run Tarawa, had as many pilots as fighters, why would that change in different classes?

We know that the pilots listed on the killboard aren't the only pilots on a carrier because while the WC3 killboard only lists the major characters in the game, we also see few other during te missionis, and the WC3 novel lists even more pilots whom we never see.

i never seen a scramble where your defending your carrier with a devestator or an swac :) (or however its spelled)

Scratch that... What is actually your point in that last paragraph?

[Edited by Earthworm on 06-04-2001 at 00:46]

There's plenty of evidence that, in WC, there's a pilot for each ship... (rather, a crew for each ship, since many of the fighters have more than one person onboard them...).

On a slightly different subject, what sort of marine complement does the Midway have? It seemed a bit unrealistic to just have Dekker's men, when the ship could be involved in some serious ground offensives.

Originally posted by Earthworm
(...)If the only pilots on the Midway were the ones listed on the killboard than you would have 190 horribly expensive fighters waiting in the hangars(...)
[Edited by Earthworm on 06-04-2001 at 00:46] [/B]

If you ask me, whats the use of having more pilots then fighters? I thought that the midway was cut off from supply lines, wouldnt get any spare fighters. I never read the novels, i never knew there even were novels until recently, i wasen't much of a bookworm then the WC series came out (im still not a bookworm) To me it makes sence to have less pilots then fighters cause what are you gonna do if a few of them eject? sure, they live on but the ship is gone, if you have 250+ pilots, thats alot of skill wasted on a scramble if they wouldn't have enough ships. (although if i remember correctly there wasent that many ships launched from the midway in a scramble was there? I dont have prophecy so im living on 2 year old memory :))

yes, if i remember right in WC2 when you first meet the concordia the hanger blows up or something, and its oyu and shadow (latter only you) defending against a bunch of fighters lol, and in the snes version of WC1 its even worst! the Tigers Claw doesent even shoot! its irritating if you ask me

Back