Who loves sequels? I’m a sequel-holic!

Ace Rimmer

Spaceman
I definitely get exited about sequels, prequels and spin-offs to my favorite franchises, especially in the sci-fi genre. I can’t resist new stories set in the worlds I love. With all the new sequels being made, I’m in heaven. With sequels coming out in the Highlander, Star Trek, Terminator, Die Heard, Jurassic Park, Alien vs. Predator and Stargate franchises, I’m as happy as a hummingbird on a honeysuckle farm! I watch every Stargate, Star Trek and Wing Commander fan-film I can get my hands on, they’re not exactly sequels but they come pretty close. This same addiction drives me to write and I couldn’t live without it.

Sequels ruined Terminator and Alien and Jurassic Park and Highlander for me. Sequels suck.

P.S. - and Star Wars

I also enjoy sequels (I'm one of the few who likes The Lost World MORE than Jurassic Park). Some of my favorite movies of all time are sequels, Terminator 2, Star Wars sequels/prequels, Star Treks, all that.

To clarify, I also loved Terminator 2. I was referring to the piece of crap that came after it. Same with Aliens.

I think Terminator 3 is okay, but certainly lacks a lot of what it's predecessors had going for them. I hated the alien movies after Aliens, and if you ask me Jurassic Park movies ended after The Lost World.

Mav23 said:
I think Terminator 3 is okay, but certainly lacks a lot of what it's predecessors had going for them. I hated the alien movies after Aliens, and if you ask me Jurassic Park movies ended after The Lost World.

THe lost World was nothing like the novel, though that's not why I didn't like it. I liked JP3 better than the lost world because it was as if they took all the stuff from the Lost World Novel that they didn't bother with in the movie and the stuff left out of the first novel and put it all together into a third movie.

I didn't originally like Alien 3 much, but i watched all of the quadrilogy (stupid name) set and I must say that the alternate version of Alien 3 is somewhat superb and wonderfully disturbing, It works on many levels that are just completely different than the first two movies. If you can accept that the characters you enjoyed from Aliens die then you may enjoy it. Alien Resurection on the other hand makes the mistake of trying to be a black comedy to ofset just how utterly disgusting it is (Pretty much a tradmark of Jean-Pierre Jeunet that serves the wonderful Un long dimanche de fiançailles [AKA A Very Long Engagement] so well). The movie looks good for the most part at least and the underwater scene was memorable, but over all I hated it.

I think I enjoyed The Lost World more 'cause I'm a huge Malcolm fan, I can't exactly put my finger on what I like more about it than JP, I just like it more. That Movie That Doesn't Exist was just too popcorny for me. It just didn't take itself seriously enough (some may like that but I prefer the serious approach especially when following JP and TLW) and it didn't really further the grand plot or serve any real purpose. In other words it didn't give me something I hadn't seen before in the other two movies (Spinosauruses don't count) and at the end of the movie I was just kinda like "that's it?". It had one of the worst "out of nowhere" endings I've ever seen.

When it came to Alien 3 I suppose there is something to say for rendering the previous film useless by killing everyone you grew to care for in the previous one, however it didn't work for me. There's really not one part of the movie that I really care for. Alien Resurection just didnt' make any sense at all.

Mav23 said:
In other words it didn't give me something I hadn't seen before in the other two movies...

Flying Dynos! (Though I can't say they were implemented the best. To be honest none of the Dinosaurs in JP3 felt as alive as in the first two... probably Spielbergs touch)

To me they were portrayed as movie monsters where as before they were actual animals just going about their business.

Back