• I know

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • What are you talking about?

Votes: 11 47.8%

• Total voters

gevatter Lars

Vice Admiral
Hi,

Who knows the story about the Tree in the Forrest?
"When a tree falls in a forrest and no one is their to see it, has it realy fallen?

Pleace vote...its importent for something I am working on...I will explain later what its for.

Quite irrelevant. As is the question in any case unless you are either talking about quantum physics or about philosophy. In that case it is just whacky ;-)

Its a little bit of both...quantum physics and philosophy.
What I find realy interesting is that when I mention the tree stuff in nearly every forum their are some people who connect it to the quantum physik...I told other people about Schrödingers cat...and most people didn't understand it...but then I told them about the tree and then they said something like "ah yes that is understandable"
I found this a little bit strange and so made this vote to see if that is more normal and realy easier to understand.

As for what I need this...I am trying to write a script for a little student project and it includes schrödingers cat...but as mentiond people didn't understand it very good so I searched for an alternative.

Yup its that special cat...same prinzipals could be transfered to the tree-story.
Someone else to mention would be Winingers friend (hope its the right name..mostly mix it up with someone I know)...its about instead of using a cat using Winingers friend ^_^

Colonel Sanders said:
Isn't Schrodingers cat the cat in the box and you don't know if it's alive or dead unti you open the box?
Uh, but if the cat's dead, wouldn't you know it just because of the stench? Or is the box completely sealed (in which case, you know it's dead because it's got no air)? :p

The experiment isnt a real one..Schrödinger has just thought about how to explain a complicated thing with terms he hoped everyone could understand.
So their never was a cat in a box..or Winingers friend.

@Leha
Stuff like this is what made WildWeasel leave.
I don't understand what you want to say with that?

There are soooooo many interestin, yet useless facts with Schrödinger' cat. For example there is a chance that it would be immortal...

Quarto said:
Uh, but if the cat's dead, wouldn't you know it just because of the stench? Or is the box completely sealed (in which case, you know it's dead because it's got no air)? :p

I dont know about that, a cat that has been trapped in a box for some time will make a horrilbe smell after a while anyway. :p

The cat in the box is about the absolute state of being ant any given point in time. The tree is about the specific state of being at a defined moment in time.
For the cat, it is at any moment impossible to know if it's alive or dead without opening the box. For the tree, it is impossible to know if it made a sound - but only for the exact moment it fell. It's the juxtaposition between the concept of "Anytime" and "Now".
I think. :rolleyes:

Back