Which versions of WC Privateer (gemini/gold/whatever) can you use cheats?

FredDude32

Rear Admiral
As I recall, Wing Commander Privateer remake used to have built-in cheats, but i cant remember them. Can anyone tell me which version that allowed cheats and how do I cheat.

And in case anyone gets fresh: FIY: I'm not really interested in hearing "You shouldn't cheat" comments slash macho-crap comments: I've gone through Privateer more than once and got nothing left to prove in gaming. I just want to enjoy the story.

Thank you!

Are you only interested in cheats for the remakes? The original game, of course, had very accessible ways to turn on invulnerability and unlimited ammo in the options menu.

Are you only interested in cheats for the remakes? The original game, of course, had very accessible ways to turn on invulnerability and unlimited ammo in the options menu.

Oh rite..I forgot about the original. I actually purchased it on GoG. But doesn't those particular cheats thwart any story progress?

Oh, by the way. I should apologise for coming off defensive in the first post. I've gotten heat (not from this forum) bout using cheats before so I guess my shields were already up when I wrote it. :)

Yes, the built-in cheats nullify any missions you may complete, but they are still useful for cargo runs. If you're really desperate, you can use the save game editor for the DOS/GOG release.

I don't know specifics for the Remake or Gemini Gold projects, but I recall someone reporting that modifying the save game XML to increase your funds is trivial.

Heh, I'm kind of surprised there's still an "anti cheat" argument going on out there. It feels like something we were all taking up arms about in 1996 and then just disappeared as the internet grew up (well, out.)

If you want the story, though, go with the original Privateer. The fan remakes are still pretty hacky in terms of character interaction (like... their lips don't move.)

Yeh the original probably has some cheat-potential :)
But I strongly recall that the Privateer Gemini Gold 1.0 or maybe 1.1 had a fully functioning cheat available that didn't nullify the story progress and included God mode. That ability to use this cheat was removed in the later versions due to a deliberate decision made by the remake creators.
I've forgotten how to access that particular cheat..and I cant even find a Privateer Gemini version 1.0/1.1 anymore. Its all 1.2 or 1.3 now :p

Aye! I found it as well. Unfortunetely I couldnt find a relevant cheat.

But! I did find a cheat that is just as good as "God mode". In the Privateer Gemini Gold folder there is a XML file called "weapon_list". Essentially you can tweak the A.I/Computers guns/missiles to do any amount of damage, meaning NONE if you choose, which means you don't even need "god mode" if the enemy guns cant damage you :):D

*edit*

You can also increase your laser/meson/gun/whatever damage to virtually any % above the standard :)

Back