Where Have all the Adventure Games gone?

What did you think of Loom?

• What's Loom?

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • Great!

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Eh. It was okay.

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • It made me want to vomit in rage!

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters

Fatcat

Swabbie
Banned
I've only met a few other people that remember the heyday of Adventure games. The best of which are the Monkey Island Series, but it has been such a long time since a Monkey Island game was made, not to mention a good adventure game. What does anyone think? Also, who has played Loom?

I've never got a chance to play Loom, that's why I voted that it made me vomit with range.:D Mainly because I missed that one.
I loved the old adventure games and now that I have ScummVM on my machine I still go back and play them on a regular basis.
My top three favorites are:
1) Sam N Max Hit The Road
2)Full Throttle
3)Grim Fandango

ScummVM has been a godsend because I bought The Dig shortly before my hardware became too fast to run it, so I never got a chance to finish it until now. I'm also working on a game called Beneath A Steel Sky that I got with an issue of Retro Gamer.

All those games are after the peak of adventure games to me. Space Quest, Police Quest, Gold Rush, Codename Iceman and all those were great. It was the beginning of the end once you could use a mouse and just clicked all over the place waiting for icons to light up.

I'm with chris on this one. Although I did really like SQ4 as well.

I wasn't crazy about loom at all. I got it and monkey island with our first cd-rom. I enjoyed Monkey Island because of the great humor. Loom had great atmosphere but that was about all I liked.

If you want an interesting adventure game, give Rise of the Dragon a shot. It rises above it's point and click interface (although the inventory system could have used some work, but if you played willy beamish it shouldnt bother you) but the sheer non-linearity of it is mind-bogling. Plus your on the clock. showing up late could mean the difference between another character living or dying.

It's a little short though and the end is really odd. It's done in a futuristic blade runner-like/ graphic novel style and is surprisingly mature for it's age. Theres blood, iirc foul language, and if you play your cards right your girlfriend will sleep with you. So don't say I didn't warn you.
It's comes about as close to a text interface that I've ever seen a point and click adventure game get.

I wasn't crazy about loom at all. I got it and monkey island with our first cd-rom. I enjoyed Monkey Island because of the great humor. Loom had great atmosphere but that was about all I liked.

Really? I like Loom, even though it was a serious game, unlike Monkey Island. The game's art in 256 colors in absolutely stunning, if you can believe it.

I'm still pissed at LucasArts for cancelling Sam & Max 2 and Full Throttle 2.

Did anyone ever play a game called Obsidian by Sega? I found an ad for it when I bought their fighting game Last Bronx, and it looked a lot like Myst. Just wondering if it was similar.

d3r3k said:
What the hell is Loom?

Isnt it obvious from the discussion in this thread? Its an old adventure game. By lucasarts to be specific. In it you play some kind of celtic/druid inspired character who has a magic pipe(?) on which different sequences of notes play out different spells that can be cast. As you progress through the game you learn more complex/powerfull ones. Basically a devil-like creature is trying to create a rift between the real world and the spirit realm. Anyway there's a loom (you know... the weaving kind) that has something to do with the "fabric" (pardon the pun) of the universe.

It's been so long that I don't remember many details.

Isnt it obvious from the discussion in this thread? Its an old adventure game. By lucasarts to be specific. In it you play some kind of celtic/druid inspired character who has a magic pipe(?) on which different sequences of notes play out different spells that can be cast. As you progress through the game you learn more complex/powerfull ones. Basically a devil-like creature is trying to create a rift between the real world and the spirit realm. Anyway there's a loom (you know... the weaving kind) that has something to do with the "fabric" (pardon the pun) of the universe.

Yeah, that's basically it. By the way, it's a staff, it just plays music.

Attachments

• loom1.bmp
    63.6 KB · Views: 160
  • loom2.bmp
    63.6 KB · Views: 153
I kinda disliked the Sierra games for their 'action' scenes. Sneaking through that labyrinth of alien tentacles on a pixel by pixel basis in Space Quest still brings me nightmares. Also the fact that you could die easily wasn't funny. However the least entertaining aspect of their games was that you might need an item in the very last room of the game that you could only get in the very first room of the game, however you cannot return there. Lucas Arts Adventures were great tho.

I always really liked Sierra's Police Quest series, but it was really quite extraordinary how they could sometimes manage to screw up the endings. Police Quest 4 (admittedly, the worst of the series) in particular comes to mind - you spend the first 95% of the game working on a great, realistic police investigation... and then, in order to catch the guy you're after, you are required to catch a stray dog using a piece of rope that you could find (but probably wouldn't even notice) in one of the earliest locations in the game. Argh. And then, do you get to capture the murderer using any kind of conventional police tactics? No, you gotta use a lighter and an aerosol can to improvise a flame thrower. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

In general, though, I found adventure games pretty bothersome. Most adventure games simply required such bizarre logic that I couldn't be bothered solving them on my own. I loved games like the Monkey Island series and such, but I always played with a walkthrough handy to get me through the toughest puzzles. It's a total waste of time when, in order to finish a game, you have to think exactly like the guy that designed it.

And that's why I really loved Loom. Loom is one of the two (two! :p ) adventure games that I was able to finish without any additional hints. Yeah, sure, a lot of people complained about Loom being so easy you could finish it in a few hours - but I don't see how a game is made better by forcing the player to walk in circles for five hours just to figure out how to solve one puzzle. That's not gameplay, that's a waste of time.

gotta agree with quarto on the police quest bit. Nobody here play any of the kings quest games though? Beneath a steel sky? any of the Zork games or even Simon the sorceror? Its good to have a bit of humour in these games to help ease a tense and frustrated player :)

Oh, heres a new adventure game for all of you:

http://www.homestarrunner.com/disk4of12.html

:D

And,I've played Revenge of the Patriarch. It had some of the same "bizarre logic" puzzles about which Quarto was complaining. Nevermind that it came with its own hint book, which you needed to finish the game, because there were ZERO hints on certain things in the game itself, which strikes me as bad planning.

Sorry, Death :eek:
Yes, Revenge of the Patriarch seems to be a short and flawed game. But it's somewhat hilarious to see a Kzintosh in action.

I only played Loom for a short while cause I didn't own it but my friend did. I remember liking it. There's not much I remember about it except using a spell to turn stuff green. But I do miss games that are like that. Especially the first Lands of Lore.

I remember the days, in which my friends and I compared notes in school on how to get ahead in Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis.
My favourite adventure was and still is Day of the Tentacle. There is a fanproject in development, I really look forward to (http://www.dott.de). AFAIK there will be a English translation of the finished game.
Other adventures I love include Sam'n'Max, Full Throttle, Toonstruck, Gabriel Knight 2, Simon the Sorcerer 1-2, the Kyrandia Series and many more. Man I miss the days of the classic adventure games.

I only had the third Kyrandia game. It seriously had a lot of really interesting and funny dialogue. The whole part where you're on the Isle of Cats was pretty interesting. But that puzzle where you had to put the gems into those different cat statues was really hard to figure out. I still remember the combination to this day: diamond, topaz, amethyst, emerald, sapphire, ruby.

That game also had a fanstastic intro to it.

I think a lot of those older adventure games had graphics that have managed to hold up very well over the years. I'm so nostalgic for the 256 color that I wish new games were still made with that look. In Lands of Lore it was amazing how realistic they could make people appear.

Back