Where are my Wing Commander 1 saves, and is there a save editor to change my name?

FlightShtick

Captain
Using the WingLoader program and the voices keep calling me Hot Shot, so it's kind of stupid.

BTW, the versions are from the KS, updated with WCDX.

The saves for WC1 should be in:
C:\Users\<username>\Saved Games\Origin Systems\Wing Commander 1\SAVEGAME.WLD

I'm not sure about a save editor (at least for modern Windows), but you can do it manually with a hex editor (e.g. XVI32):
hotshot.jpg

There'll be a copy of your callsign for each save slot - which you can search for manually or via find - just make sure the new name always ends with 00 (and make sure to back up the file first just in case!).

I went and just replayed as Hot Shot, but now I noticed that name looks stupid was a space. So if I just find each instance and get rid of the space and add two zeros each time, I should be ok?

EDIT: What else can this thing do?
Which I had infinite missiles. ;)

Yep, the bytes should look like 48 6F 74 73 68 6F 74 00 for Hotshot.

There are cheats for Kilrathi Saga, but I think they're more for the devs as they're about as extreme as it gets (invincibility + key combo to kill your target or their entire wing instantly :p)...

Invincibility works in the game, I will check for target. (Testing purposes, mind you) ;)

Now what key for kill target? I am using the genius WingLoader.

Doesn't seem to work for Kilrathi Saga, the invincibility does, but I put -k -b in my config and those two destroy do not work.

Back