What's a Gatling Launch Tube?

Concordia

Swabbie
Banned
Is it a rapid fire missile system for taking out torpedoes? Is it a torpedo launcher? Is it both?

-Concordia

'Gatling' simply means rapid firing. In the case you're referring to (the new weapon that the Tarawa *didn't* have, it's a thing that launches missiles really quickly.

historical reference

I belive anything that refered to having a "Gatling" configuration would have to live up to Richard Gatling patented design of using multiple chambers to increase the firing rate of a weapon. Thus I would surmise that a gatling launch tube would in fact be a multiple launch tube system that would allow loading of a torpedo/missle while another was being fired, instead of launch-load-launch of a single "barrel" weapon.

C-ya

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
'Gatling' simply means rapid firing. In the case you're referring to (the new weapon that the Tarawa *didn't* have, it's a thing that launches missiles really quickly.

hmmm...almost sounds like anime......

WC anime.....now that sounds interesting...

Originally posted by Ladiesman^

hehehe...yeah, it was invented in an 1850's anime....don't you know anything?

not to pick a nit but it was 1862 by Dr. (Richard?) Gatling he invented it to "make war so horrible" that it would never happen again. He failed but several were bought by the US army and used in the Civil War

Originally posted by Napoleon

not to pick a nit but it was 1862 by Dr. (Richard?) Gatling he invented it to "make war so horrible" that it would never happen again. He failed but several were bought by the US army and used in the Civil War

Sadly, no weapon, no matter how powerful, can "make war so horrible" that it will never happen again. Nearly sixty years ago, we developed a fearsome weapon capable of destroying a city with hundreds of thousands of people with one shot, and there have been plenty of wars since then. Any time a weapon "too horrible to use" appears, nations simply forgo using it and fight without it.

Originally posted by Ijuin

Sadly, no weapon, no matter how powerful, can "make war so horrible" that it will never happen again. Nearly sixty years ago, we developed a fearsome weapon capable of destroying a city with hundreds of thousands of people with one shot, and there have been plenty of wars since then. Any time a weapon "too horrible to use" appears, nations simply forgo using it and fight without it.

However, it DID prevent a worse war than those....nuclear weapons at least prevented WWIII on at least 2 or 3 occasions...hehehe...it could theoretically prevent wars if everyone had them...but then the dumb nations would go ahead and use them...

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF

LOAF is correct. The Gatling Launch Tube is a anti-torpedo system that the TARAWA didn't have. The system fires several round very quickly taking out multiple torpedos and was far superior to the previous anti-torpedo system.

I believe it's a torpedo system not an anti-torpedo system. Since it is mentioned that it can fire off a wave of torpedos. But I maybe wrong.

Originally posted by Dark Tower
I believe it's a torpedo system not an anti-torpedo system. Since it is mentioned that it can fire off a wave of torpedos. But I maybe wrong.

It's an anti-torpedo missile launcher system. The system dumps ten missiles in under two seconds, which detonate torpedoes before they ever hit the hull.

See page 68 for the reference, where Bondarevsky's hoping they got the newer antitorp system rather than the antique version that they turn out to have (end of page 76).

Back