What would you want to find in a fighter?

The Answer is Simple

Give me a Hallecat V any day :cool:

I was totally loving that physics stuff! Aw, man! It has been a while since I last studied physics too... 'cept I actually enjoyed it and hope to get deeper into it (debated about making it my major).

Physics rule!

Hellcats rock!

:D

For me, I'd like a manned Steltek Drone ship -- five powerful green guns, speed and maneuverability, and nearly impenetrable shields. Give me some cargo space and I'm set for life.

Respectfully,

Bria nP.

well if they had 360 dps roll rate would be controlable if the ship was controlled by the mind, some sort of helmet that picked up on the brainwaves and interpreted them as stick movements should be able to handle that manuverability. But my fighter of choice would be a vampire with a couple more missiles and a little bit higher afterburn rate :)

It seems though that the bugs are capable of handling 360dps at least in the yaw-stat, look at the Lamprey.
Hmm, looking at the Lamprey makes me realize once more how crappy it is. :)
And 360dps roll-rate should be not too hard to controll, though pretty useless.

Back to the physics;)

Junior is right, forces due to rotational inertia create an effect similar to gravity. Look at the giant centrfuges they use to test astronauts, which go up to about 12g iirc. The force isn't directed down towards the earth, but outwards due to centrifugal force.

Use of g-force does imply gravity is involved but it uses the force exerted by gravity as the basis for it's unit of measurement.

Imagine what the fluid in your ears would be like?

Anyway, to answer the original question, everything that a Dragon has. And a good stereo system.

Originally posted by Gosmack
well if they had 360 dps roll rate would be controlable if the ship was controlled by the mind, some sort of helmet that picked up on the brainwaves and interpreted them as stick movements should be able to handle that manuverability

There actualy exists computer cames that you have to learn how to control before you play them becuse you just think the cursor or character left, right, up or down. The interface that I saw was just a sensor you put your hand on. Once you learn what jind of thought makes the cursor move in the desired direction, then you can control the game. I don't see why this technology couln't be implemented in the futur for driving or flying. Plus the interface doesn't have to be on the hand.

AD

360 dps doesn't seem to bad, considering the T-38 is capable of two barrel rolls a second.

Someone mentioned the spinning amusement park thing, how if you were anywhere but at the center, you would be pulled up to the walls. Well, isn't the pilot approximately in the center of a ship? Not necessarily, but if he was, the forces would not be too great.

In atmospheric ships, the g forces are not caused by the plane changing the direction it's facing, but by the change of direction caused by turning the plane. The pilot's body wants to continue in it's straight line as the plane moves up so he's pressed against his seat. If however he could turn the plane and have it continue to move in the same direction, no real G forces!

If a fighter in space kept moving in the same direction as it turned (think afterburner slide) it wouldn't be too bad I'd think.

Originally posted by MamiyaOtaru
If a fighter in space kept moving in the same direction as it turned (think afterburner slide) it wouldn't be too bad I'd think.

That would depend on if they were allowed the luxury of swivel seats:D

No. your right. The afterburner slide doesnt turn the ship fast enough to make sufficient g-forces to hinder a pilot... But the force required to turn the whole ship at such high velocities in such a short amount of time would be detrimental to your health... no mater what kind of controls or propulsion you had!

Unless of course it was a "warp drive", where you actually war space and time kind of folding it like an acordion. Then you basicaly skip fron one fold to the next. Theoreticaly your ship never goes faster than the speed of light but you traverse distances greater than if you had. So a mini jump-drive might do it!:)

AD

My answer to the original question: I would like auto firing turrets, not like the one you have to aim and fire yourself in the centurion..

The afterburner slide doesnt turn the ship fast enough to make sufficient g-forces to hinder a pilot... But the force required to turn the whole ship at such high velocities in such a short amount of time would be detrimental to your health...
True.. the spin itself isn't too bad, but the quick acceleration from no spin to spin is bad. Like I already mentioned though, the T-38 Talon is capable IRL of two barrel rolls a second, thats 720 dps.. Though when going into one quickly, the pilots head can smack against the side of the canopy sometimes.. (especially if it's the instructor pilot playing a joke on the trainee :D ) that's part of the reason they have those hard helmets I'm sure :)

So, if the ship did not instantly reach 360 dps, and if the direction of travel did not instantly change to whatever direction the ship was facing, there would be no problem with 360 dps imho

How about a cloaker that allows you to remain cloaked while shooting?

Now, that ain't fair ... but I've never been terribly fond of fair fights.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

No such thing as a fair fight anyway someone always has an advantage in a fight and if a ship that can fire when cloaked is good enough for General Chang it's good enough for me. Oh yeah and really nice stereo system

I'd like a fighter with a type of sniper setup where you have the top o' the line detection systems for long-range and weapons to match that range (energy or rail-guns) with cloaking. Like any sniper, however, its effectiveness would be better suited for covert or defensive actions. In this case it's likely that such powerful sensors would take up most of the ship, prohibiting it from being a good infighter.

Originally posted by Wulf
I'd like a fighter with a type of sniper setup where you have the top o' the line detection systems for long-range and weapons to match that range (energy or rail-guns) with cloaking. Like any sniper, however, its effectiveness would be better suited for covert or defensive actions. In this case it's likely that such powerful sensors would take up most of the ship, prohibiting it from being a good infighter.

It doesn't have to be a good infighter -- it's invisibility should give it more than enough edge.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Back