What would you fight for?

Ender

Spaceman
What (aside from the survival of your species) could make you strap on a fighter and hit the void?

Would it be a picture of your girlfrind or wife taped to your console that your eyes find before that last missile hits? Your family?

What is worth the sacrifice?

What's worth fighting for?
My family above all, then would come my right to freedom, freedom of speech, religion, the right to live my life as i see fit.
"I may disapprove of what you say, but i would defend to the death your right to say it"- Voltaire.
However, realistically, it is much easier to say what you would fight and die for than actually do it. I have not been placed in this situation yet, however i hope that if faced with the choice of conforming or fighting for my principles i would fight for my principles.
Personally, when i read about those who have stood up for their beliefs and sacrificed their lives, it not only inspires me, but leaves me wondering if i am a strong enough person to do this. I sincerely hope that i am. However, how can you know unless you are put in such a postition?

Never Give Up! Never Surrender!

I'd have to say that my homeplanet would be the reason I would fight. I feel that my life is worth sacrificing if it means that hundreds of millions will survive.

Hell, just being able to fly a fighter would be enough for me!
(Airline pilots hate it when you flip the plane upside down, especially when don't even have a pilot's license:D )

Both my homeplanet, my right to my opinion/beliefs, etc. (Like Zara) AND, most importantly, I think I would fight for my family/friends/girlfriend. As they're basically what tend to drive me in life, I think I'd easily jump up to protect them.

Oh yeah, and I agree being in the cockpit! Man, put me in a space fighter, and I'll be a happy man!

Planet, family, freedom,and beliefs, for these I will fight. I , however, would not give my life. It would not my job to die for what I believe. That honorable duty belongs to my enemies. :)

I would say that probably most of us who are not highly self-centered would be willing to sacrifice their own lives to save their loved ones. Who would honestly NOT put his own life on the line to save his wife, sibling, or child? "Survivor guilt" also figures into this--could you live with yourself after witnessing a loved one die, knowing that you could have at least tried to save him or her, but didn't?

As for fighting for your ideals, many people may choose that route--posthumously we call them "martyrs" if the ideals they fought for endure, or we call them "fanatics" if the ideals they fought for died.

As for WHO would choose to die for his or her ideals, it depends on whether, as Eisen says in the briefing to the last mission in the losing path of WC3, you "want to live under Kilrathi rule" instead of dying. Remember, war is NOT about dying for your country; it is about making the bastards on the OTHER side die for THEIR country.

Originally posted by Ijuin
...as Eisen says in the briefing to the last mission in the losing path of WC3, you "want to live under Kilrathi rule" instead of dying. Remember, war is NOT about dying for your country; it is about making the bastards on the OTHER side die for THEIR country.
Actually, George S. Patton said that, roughly.
patton.jpg

What's worth dying for...

Have you tried the new Ben and Jerry's limited batch "Honey I'm Home" ice cream? Yeah, I'd... "strap on a fighter" for that.

I almost forgot, i would also fight for my property, rather my right to property which is as basic as the right to speech and beliefs

Already did it. Desert Storm, Restore Hope.

But to answer the generic question: FREEDOM. Without it, nothing else matters.

I would fight for my freedom and all the other rights that i have. my whole outlook about defense and 'patriotism' has drastically changed over the last few months.

I would also fight for a double quarter punder with cheese........;)

oh yes, and little teapots, and cute little bunnies and.....

Originally posted by Wulf
1 meeeeeeeliion dollars!...and sharks with laser beams attached to their heads.

That's FRIGGIN sharks with FRIGGIN laser beams on their FRIGGIN heads....come on now...

Back