What would you do?

Originally posted by steampunk
But atmosphere and story would be nice wouldn't it? Max Payne pulled off both very well. I don't see any reason for neglecting any aspect of a game in favour of another. That's just being lazy.

That's the thing, though.
The much hyped "story" in Half-Life wasn't really all that much. There's a disaster involving another dimension that sets aliens loose, the military is trying to kill you, and there's an unexplained guy in a suit who manages to walk through the entire complex one step ahead of you unscathed.
That's the "story"!
And it all ends with you playing first person Super Mario Brothers with a rocket launcher in an alternate dimension.

And as I said, if you want good atmosphere and story, AvP2 is an excellent example. The only thing I didn't care much for was the inability to perforate specific body parts as in the original (that, and the predator is fairly boring).
I've heard No One Lives Forever manages to capture both the story and the atmosphere elements quite well, but I haven't had the chance to play either one. Something tells me that Monolith might be good at making fps games.

The thing about Half-Life wasn´t its ¨great¨ story, it was the scripted scenes made with the game engine that appeared in the middle of the action, the cops that helps you, the scientists,etc.

It had at least a story, which wasn't bad in essential, it was inspired by Stephen King's story "The mist".
Other games have sometimes a plot like that: That's the enemy. He is bad. Kill him.

don't forget the pretty good AI. when i first played it, it freaked me out to see the military guys actually take cover and support one another.

The AI was good. Too bad i own only the german(censored) version of the game where they replaced the marines with some stupid looking robots.

I dunno how this got to be a thread on FPS games, but another thing I'd do if I found myself on the Tiger's Claw would be to go through my games, get Rogue Spear Covert Ops and give the Special Forces encyclopedia to Angel. She'd probably like that.

Originally posted by Ghost
The thing about Half-Life wasn´t its ¨great¨ story, it was the scripted scenes made with the game engine that appeared in the middle of the action, the cops that helps you, the scientists,etc.

Guess that just wasn't a big deal for me. I'd already seen stuff like that elsewhere (Jedi Knight had droids that would travel a little ways and open doors for you, for example). Half Life had more of it than any other game up to that point, but that's really about it.
*shrug*
And the AI wasn't as bad as Shogo (where you could snipe a guy and his companion wouldn't react), but it didn't seem much better than the original Unreal.
Ah, well.

Originally posted by Phillip Tanaka
Personnaly, I wouldn't wait until the Intrepid. I'd break his jaw on the Victory Read the novel and see if you can guess why.

why wait for the Victory. i'd kick his ass back on the Tiger's Claw when he says he's a better pilot than me!!:D

Originally posted by Aries
why wait for the Victory. i'd kick his ass back on the Tiger's Claw when he says he's a better pilot than me!!:D

Im sure back then that lots of guys on board wanted to kick his ass.

After his portrayal as an asshole in the HOTT novel, everyone would want him dead. He is actually level with Stingray (and behind Colson and Thrakhath) in my list of most hated WC characters.

my most hated list:

Jazz and the Mandarians

the political assholes like Jamison (she is the worst of the worst: a politician AND a traitor) in FA and More in AS

ignorant-ass people like Dr. Torg and the Human/Kilrathi friendship committee in FA

buearucrats like Pauls(o/e)n

Naismith

Seether

Thrakhath

after that, the distinct lines tend to get blurred.

I happen to quite like Paulsen. (The script refers to him as Paulsen). Tolwyn too. No, that doesn't sound right. I like Malcolm McDowell and...ah, trying to remember who played Paulsen. The same actor who played Walmack in The Rock.

the actor who played Paulson (book calls him Paulson) is great. the character Paulson is a bueauracratic son of a bitch. and saying that Tolwyn is cool ain't bad....he's one of my favorites (at least the book tolwyn). just cause the man made a bad decision doesn't mean we shouldn't remember what he did for confed.

Back