What would you do?

Well T8H3X11 said _first_ breakthrough. He's right about that. Dark Forces was the first one to have a real story line and make you care about completing the game. Doom and Quake has always just been kill, move kill some more. Booooooring in single player.

Bond? He's the worst spy ever. Down with Bond!

you wan't the best FPS with a story....Half Life. that is the standard which all future FPS's should be based on.

Originally posted by T8H3X11
I never cared for DOOM. To stupid if you ask me. A demon that shoots missles out of his privates? Now that's a stretch. I thought Dark Forces was the first major breakthrough for FPS'

ID's original Wolfenstien was the most original, as it was THE original FPS, and a classic if I must say. Doom was a good improvement upon the game play, but poor story, doom 2 was somewhat better, but still lacking. The game that really changed the genre was duke nukem' (sp?). it had a cartoonish visual story that unfolded as u played. but i never played those games for stories, i played WC for a story.

I only ever played the first Half Life. Never even completed it. Some parts are just so damn long, got hit with assignments and never went back.

As for the FPS all future (single player) FPSes should be compred with, Max Payne! Cheesy story but done so well it just worked and the controls in that game are the best I've seen in any FPS. Of course, I haven't played all of them. And bullet time! You can never get tired of bullet time!

Cheesy story? Well, maybe if you watch The Sopranos. What can I say about it that hasn't been said before? Video game's first sex scene! The part with Candy Dawn and one of the mobsters. Seriously, love the story, and I just love the piano theme. (Yeah, cunt Colson plays the piano. What's your point?) There's a Kung Fu mod that simply rocks. For lack of a better description, Max Payne has an assortment of kung fu moves and Matrix style jumps and tricks. The intro, with Max Payne kicking ass to the tune of Ash's Kung Fu, is the best intro ever. Bar none.

Originally posted by Phillip Tanaka
Cheesy story? Well, maybe if you watch The Sopranos. What can I say about it that hasn't been said before? Video game's first sex scene! The part with Candy Dawn and one of the mobsters.

I so missed that. My coffee guy must be slipping me something.

It's kinda cheesy because it's all so ... cliche. Not that i don't like it. Like I said it works very well.

Originally posted by Aries
you wan't the best FPS with a story....Half Life. that is the standard which all future FPS's should be based on.

Eh...
Never really cared for Half-Life, and I played both the original and Opposing Force.
It had its plusses, but I never really saw what other people liked about it.

Some of the ones I liked...
Shogo - probably the giant robot angle is what attracted me. A fun game, although the AI was pretty bad. The variety of high explosive weapons in the game didn't hurt, either.

Aliens vs. Predator - this game gets kudos for the "Ohcrapkillitkillitkillit!" factor. Blowing both legs off of a xenomorph and watching the legless thing crawl towards you using its arms is one of the freakier experiences I've had in a game. AvP2 was a better game EXCEPT that the only location hits that seemed to matter were head hits.
As far as I'm concerned, though, they could have completely removed Predators from the game. They were interesting to play, but I don't think they really add all that much.

Originally posted by junior
Eh...
Never really cared for Half-Life, and I played both the original and Opposing Force.
It had its plusses, but I never really saw what other people liked about it.

It wasn't just mindless killing. There was some purpose to the game, some sort of story behind it. AvP is just about blowing things up. Pretty boring if you think about it. Hell if you ask me even multiplayer mindless killing is pretty boring.

Aliens vs. Predator is EASILY the freakiest movie I've ever played.

You walk around for like TEN minutes and don't encounter a single thing, it's dark and quiet, and you go down this hallway and out of NOWHERE, an alien comes running towards you. Christ, I nearly crapped my pants.

Then the facehuggers........ugh.........that little crawling noise...

"Movie" ??You mean game....... Anyway...Its is also AVP1 and AVP2 very but very atmospheric and also very scary....both of them.

I still get scared with FaceHuggers.....:eek:

Originally posted by steampunk
It wasn't just mindless killing. There was some purpose to the game, some sort of story behind it. AvP is just about blowing things up. Pretty boring if you think about it. Hell if you ask me even multiplayer mindless killing is pretty boring.

There was a story behind the game, but it really wasn't much of one. Valve just did a slightly better job of disguising the buttons you push, added a mysterious guy in a suit who's always one step ahead of you, and called it a story. And the last few levels (the ones on the alien world) were, imho, among the more poorly designed game levels out there.
The original AvP didn't have much of a story (only some of the levels were loosely connected to other levels), but it more than made up for it in atmosphere. The thought of legless xenomorphs crawling at me still unnerves me somewhat to this day - and I haven't played the original in over a year.
The second AvP had a cohesive story with plenty of backstory hidden in the game, but the atmosphere suffered a little bit. It still does a good job, particularly on the marine missions (Monolith realized that sometimes, when nothing has attacked you since the start of the level, you get even jumpier), and its also a lot of fun to piece together where each mission fits together in the overall story.

But the most important thing is this - I don't play FPS games because I'm looking for the next great work of literature. Yes, a story is nice for the single player game, but I'm looking primarily for a game that sucks me in and makes me feel like I'm right there as I lay waste to my enemies.
If I want a story, I'll go play Torment or Grim Fandango, or maybe Deus Ex.

But atmosphere and story would be nice wouldn't it? Max Payne pulled off both very well. I don't see any reason for neglecting any aspect of a game in favour of another. That's just being lazy.

Though I guess some of these games never pretend to have any story in the first place (Q3 say) so I guess i really can't complain. I'll just stick to buying games with a story ...

games with stories are the best, but mindless killing games have their place too. they are great stress relief, course if you tell people that, they might look at you funny (happened to me many times:D)

Originally posted by Aries
games with stories are the best, but mindless killing games have their place too. they are great stress relief, course if you tell people that, they might look at you funny (happened to me many times:D)

Well, maybe you are right....sometimes I play such games when Iam angry or something,or when Im boring.
I usually play Serius Sam

Back