What would make it a great year for Wing Commander?

Farlander

Rear Admiral
The current poll on the CIC front page currently asks what kind of year you think it will be for Wing Commander. A fair amount of people think it will be a great year. What would constitute a great year for Wing Commander to you?

For me, nothing short of a new, official, good, moderately successful Wing Commander game can make it a great year. Since that isn't going to happen this year, I clearly don't see this as being a great year for Wing Commander.

What's your criteria?

A new game... well, Standoff and Saga make this a pretty damn good year, but a new game altogether would make it a great one. :D

Farlander said:
For me, nothing short of a new, official, good, moderately successful Wing Commander game can make it a great year. Since that isn't going to happen this year, I clearly don't see this as being a great year for Wing Commander.What's your criteria?

I would say that for it to be a great year for Wing Commander, one of two things must happen. The first is mentioned above and the second would be the burning of all copies of the movie in the streets.

That being said, it is still possible for it to be a very good year for WC with this great community putting out top notch fan projects and fiction. Sooner or later someone is bound to take notice and Wing Commander will be officially resurrected.

The first is mentioned above and the second would be the burning of all copies of the movie in the streets.

There are plenty of threads to discuss whether or not you liked the movie. This isn't one of those -- hence, you are trolling.

362-day ban for trolling.

You know - Ive had reserved, conservative expectations the last couple of years and I'm getting tired of being wrong so often. My trip to Boston a year ago only cemented the fact that Wing Commander is alive and well - and that ace makes killer burgers.

That aside, last year we got two outstanding fanmade games and we still have Saga coming out! That alone is worth celebrating! The community here is ever-expanding (How many new fansites have been made in the last two years?) and anyone who thinks otherwise should swing by #wingnut to see what I'm talking about.

The very likely release of WC Saga as well as one or more subsequent Episodes of Standoff makes this about the best WC year since the release of Secret Ops. Not talking about other projects that are also looking very promising.

Obviously the best year for wing commander was when the original came out. Now for this year to be truly great a release that would parallel the accomplishment of the original game needs to arrive.

I liked standoff, Very nice, and I look forward to Saga and UE was great fun. I believe that any game that can count grown men and women amongst it's most stalwart supporters is certainly great.

How about a convention, all of our own for all the members, supporters and other bods who still love wing commander for what it is. Pick a central location and then lets all get together for a week of madness, fun and getting to know one another.

It can only be a great year for WC if we, the people who love it and whom the universe of WC is alive in can come together!!

Im really looking forward to multiplayer WC, which hopefully WC Saga will provide. :cool:

Also my movie DVD is due to arrive tommorow and i've been enjoying standoff, so so far its been a good year.

I'd have to say that it would be Electronic Arts announcing that they'd decided to take a small risk and make a new WC combat space sim game when no one else had demonstrated lately that it was a massive money maker in the computer gaming market.

That would also be about the time I started checking for snow fall listings on the north slopes of Hell, but a guy can dream.

The most I can see would be a company stealthing in with a space combat sim that turned out to be a major hit, and Electronic Arts announcing the new Wing Commander game that wouldn't be due out until next year (since they'd have to assemble the team from scratch, no doubt).

This year? Depends on my schedule. ;) More likely though I'll just leave this year up to the Standoff team, the Privateer Remake, WC Saga, and Flight Commander, and see what I can prepare so I help make NEXT year a great year for Wing Commander.

I'd like to see EA make a game...I really would, but what I'd like MORE is for them to sell the licence. Problem is, there isn't a group good enough to handle it right now. Micro$oft? Yeah, right. Only guys out there these days who could handle a flightsim of that scope would be Epic. If they picked up some good writers, THEY could make one hell of a game.

Still, I think it's probably up to us. Flight Commander is probably the most ambitious thing I've seen yet, what with coding it from scratch and all. What we NEED is an engine we can all agree upon using for the next few years, that's more flexible than Vision. I've read about a LOT of incredible things, including flight sims, being done with the Unreal Tournament 2004 engine. If anyone thinks they can lay some groundwork, we might be able to do something very modular, very moddable, and very, VERY nice looking. It's also public domain - go look, honest!

Yes, I've got a lot of ambition and no commitment to a project right now. That's because I'm full of ideas and horribly busy with my own. Still, it's not like you pay me to throw forth random plans! :D

MamiyaOtaru said:
Cause, you know, there hasn't been any...
There may have been progress in fan projects, and maybe you could even say that compared to previous years, 2004 had "lots" of it (very much arguable IMO, but that's beyond the point)... but there's still room for improvement, and lots of it. It's still too much talk for not enough satisfied fans.

I think that was Nomad Terror's point when he says "actual" progress.

Flight Commander came out, you guys released an episode, we put out a playable remake of Privateer (albeit in beta form).. maybe I am understimating peoples' expectations :D

overmortal said:
A positive attitude and community growth.

Overmortal nailed it with the first reply.

climber said:
It can only be a great year for WC if we, the people who love it and whom the universe of WC is alive in can come together!!

How about a convention, all of our own for all the members, supporters and other bods who still love wing commander for what it is. Pick a central location and then lets all get together for a week of madness, fun and getting to know one another.

This is exactly what we do every year at DragonCon!
https://www.wcnews.com/convention.shtml
It's very hard to do a special convention just for our own people. It'd take tens of thousands of dollars of capital and dozens of people's active involvement. Unfortunately, it's already quite an effort to muster several thousand dollars and a dozen fans each summer for DC. Nevertheless, we have a great time! We see all sorts of cool science fiction actors that we wouldn't be able to get to come to our own private convention, and there's lots of science fiction panels, shows and special events. We all dress up in Wing Commander costumes and march in a Wing Commander parade through the streets of down town Atlanta. We have old Wing Commander games and #Wingnut connections set up on various laptops, hold a viewing of the movie and tv show, and stay up till 7 am playing the Wing Commander card game. I've dreamed about doing an exclusive Wing Commander convention for 8 or 9 years now, but we already do a lot of stuff that wouldn't be possible at a private con in Atlanta every Labor Day weekend! More people need to come. 2005 will be our fifth annual gathering.

Last edited by a moderator:
The majority of these fan projects are a lot of talk and very little progress. Projects like Standoff, Saga, Flight Commander and Privateer Remake are definately the odd men out. If more teams were to actually somewhat follow through on their plans we would definately see a lot less disappointment.

Back