What was your toughest mission of all time!

SyyBorg

Spaceman
of all the WC games what was your most difficult mission

I paid hell for the the first mission in SM1,
i replayed it over twenty times, till i finally beat it

my wingmen ended up dying every time , the last nav point i ran out of fuel, my craft was spittin toasters. i wanted to eject but my determination kept me going.

that first mission is a wake-up call for WC1
waves and waves of Kilrathi!

The first time I was playing through WC2, I hated the mission in Noveya Kiev where you go out alone to try to save the Free Trader courier ship. The ship blows up as you arrive, leaving you alone to face 3 Sartha and a Ralatha in a Broadsword.

3 Sartha pumping Neutron guns into your shields from all sides, all the while trying to stay outside of the Ralatha's flak range...it just wasn't a good time. I think I replayed that mission a good 10 times during that first playthrough. It became a lot easier the next time, but that first run was hell.

Originally posted by gryphon
Now everybody chant in... 3... 2... 1...

SAVE THE RALARI

hell yeah. i've yet to beat it, and i've played it a hundred times at least, probably more. no matter what i do, the damn thing always blows up

Originally posted by SabreAce
3 Sartha pumping Neutron guns into your shields from all sides, all the while trying to stay outside of the Ralatha's flak range...it just wasn't a good time. I think I replayed that mission a good 10 times during that first playthrough. It became a lot easier the next time, but that first run was hell.

The problem there ain´t just the Sarthas and the flak cannons, but mainly the Ralatha´s AntiMatterGuns tearing your Broadsword apart. So whenever you get there, just fire all your FF missiles (that´ll take 2 or 3 Sartha), fly away from the Ralatha making evasive maneuvers to avoid the AMGs.

I must say that the WC1 mission where you have to save the Ralari IS the most difficult to beat. In second place I could point out several missions in SM2, the last missions in SO2 and most missions in WC4 in Nightmare level.

There are hard mission in every game, I think thats part of the appeal of the earlier WC games. I've got my list of the hair raisers I can remember (At least from the early games)

#5 - Last mission of WC1, taking out the starbase. I actually got through this the first time I played it by making run after run at the base, expending all my ammo, finally watching it go up in a nice big explosion and afterburning my butt out. The problem is trying to win the medal of honor by taking out all the fighters. Wave after wave after wave. . . tough stuff.

#4 - Saving the Exeter in WC1 was a challange. The skies are alive with red pipers in that mission.

#3 - the Gwenhyvar. This is another mission I won the first time, by making multiple attack runs on the ship. Taking out all the fighter cover before hand, that's a real challange. Doing all this and keeping spirit alive, that's damn near impossible. Best strategy, fire a few opening shot at the Rapiers as you pass and then burn for the Gwenhyvar, barely skimming it. The enemy fighters seem to take the same route you do and alot of them will take themselves out by bashing into the Gwenhyvar.

#2 - Save the Ralari. Yet another mission I won the 1st time through, but later playings showed that it was pure luck. It probably took me another 10 times throuhg to develop a good strategy and another 10 times to make that strategy work. Multitasking at its best is the only way to win this one.

#1 - and my number one toughest mission? I always thought the last mission of WC2-SO1 was the hardest. Trying to keep your Sabre alive through all those fighters (especially due to friendly fire in this mission with all the friendlies around - the road to hell was paved with good intentions) and make 4 attack runs on the Fralthra without getting hit in the paper thin sheilds of the Sabre? Tough. the worst part is that I can usually survive the initial engagement, but the fighters have either knocked out my target tracking system or a few of my torps have been destroyed, both of which really ruin your day.

In regard to WC3 - WCSO, I think the whole game gets harder as you increase the difficulty and 1 mission doesn't stand out. They are all tough on nightmare :)!

C-ya

Originally posted by Starkey
The problem there ain´t just the Sarthas and the flak cannons, but mainly the Ralatha´s AntiMatterGuns tearing your Broadsword apart. So whenever you get there, just fire all your FF missiles (that´ll take 2 or 3 Sartha), fly away from the Ralatha making evasive maneuvers to avoid the AMGs.
The Sartha always managed to avoid my FoF missles. Which meant that I had to take out the last one with my rear turret, since a Broadsword obviously couldn't out-turn them.

The AMGs were murder on the torp run, especially once I was in close. Out at the farthest range you could get a torp lock, you could keep the Ralatha in the torpedo lock cone while still dodging the AMG shot. Once you started getting in close to shoot the torpedo, it was next to impossible to dodge the AMGs without losing the torpedo lock.

The other mission I forgot to put in earlier was the K'tithrak Mang mission, but only part of it. I'd afterburn past the asteroid field at the beginning by going off to the side-skip the first patrol. Thrakath was pretty easy, but the Drakhai aces that came after him were worse than the Sartha from the Ralatha mission. The station itself was unbelieveably easy. I never understood why they gave you 6 torpedoes (and only 2 im-recs) when the station only needed 2. I would have gladly traded half the torpedo load for a couple more regular missles. Preferably more image recs.

Originally posted by SyyBorg
of all the WC games what was your most difficult mission

I paid hell for the the first mission in SM1,
i replayed it over twenty times, till i finally beat it

why the hell did halcyon send me on this mission in a ferret?, that ill never know

Last mission of WC1, taking out the starbase. I actually got through this the first time I played it by making run after run at the base, expending all my ammo, finally watching it go up in a nice big explosion and afterburning my butt out. The problem is trying to win the medal of honor by taking out all the fighters. Wave after wave after wave. . . tough stuff.

Ahhh so thats how u get that damn medal :) must do it.. i love wasing kitites

Originally posted by SabreAce
I never understood why they gave you 6 torpedoes (and only 2 im-recs) when the station only needed 2. I would have gladly traded half the torpedo load for a couple more regular missles. Preferably more image recs.
I think its an established fact that that mission was also giong to involve you going after the Karharif (horrible spelling, Thrakaths flagship in WC2), which would take multiple hits from torpedoes ( I think it was supposed to be either 3 or 4). Either the design team ran out of time or space to do this but the armament stayed. hence the abundance of torps.

C-ya

Hehe Last time i saw you starkey you were a 1st Lieutenant(back after 6 months). But the hardest mission for me was the first mission of Episode 3 in Secret ops I would just play the mission over and over till i could just save at least 2 transports. The tenth try i happend to save them all.

1st Lt.? Well, I´m just like Blair in WC1! Every 30 days LOAF tells me he needs to see me in his office to tell me I´ve been promoted :D (or that I´ll scrub the deck for a month :eek: - check Off-topic zone from 2 months ago) But I don´t post that much, avg. 1.93/day... Welcome back!

That mission is really tough, and also the mission where you have to save Luyten station. It´s very tough to hold off those Stingrays and the capship missiles at the same time.

Originally posted by Starkey
The flagship would be the H´haifra :) Where did you get that information?
We've had this conversation before. I can't remember who put the info forward, maybe LOAF, Kris, or someone, but whoever it was I thought was credible at the time.

C-ya

Oh yes that was a tough one too. I just hate how i have to do all the work myself because the wingman arent exactly....sentient. I also went through the game by trying to make the least amount of kills Beat Spyder by only 130 kills

Originally posted by Valor NR
I also went through the game by trying to make the least amount of kills Beat Spyder by only 130 kills

Cool! I never tried that... Still, 130 kills is "realistically" a lot. I wish they´d balance the game more. Make you kill less, but tougher enemies.

Originally posted by Viper61
We've had this conversation before. I can't remember who put the info forward, maybe LOAF, Kris, or someone, but whoever it was I thought was credible at the time.
IIRC, LOAF once said that there was going to be a sprite version of the H'haifra, cause they were planning to use it in a mission.

--Eder

Hi,

although many of you will disagree, but I hated the last mission in WC2 - toasting K'tithrak Mang. I was always torn apart by those Strakhas in the asteroidfield. Until then, these stealthfighters weren't much of a problem. But then, they managed to hit me with their missiles all the time - or I ended up kissing an asteroid. A friend of mine, who wasn't actually a WC freak, rather a X-Wing fan, won this mission in the first attempt - he just rammed away those invisible twacks. I usually died as soon as I used the afterburner...
The last mission in WC1 is quite easy - just don't destroy all of the Salthis in the second wave, leave one of them alive and go after the base. And after its destruction take a run ;)
I managed to "Save the Ralari" in my first attempt, but after replaying the game I saw the difficulty of that mission ;) . I found out that there are several constellations. Sometimes you leave the autopilot right behind two Grathas, and then it's an easy one. But you can also come out of auto 10k away from the first Gratha, then you have no chance of defending the Ralari - it's toast until you fire your first shot.
And of course, I could mention many of the SM Drayman missions (it's up to you to decide what the meaning of "SM" is in this case) - but there's a little trick: no one tells you in which order you have to fly through the nav points ;)
In WC3, I hated the "Flash"-Mission - where Blair should defeat Flash in the simulator. In the DOS version it was quite easy - simply fire all your missiles at once ;) . In the Win-KS-Edition that didn't work for me. I simply pursued him then until he was out of fuel, then it took about one and a half hour to finish him off.
Oh, and - that was my fault of course, not watching the briefing cautionly enough - I must have flown that mission with the "Skipper-Missile" ten times, until I finally found our what was actually destroying the Victory.
In WC4 I hated all the planet missions - my computer was too slow to handle the graphics, and so it was hard to hit anything. Luckily those atmosphere fighters weren't a real threat - but those ground-to-air missiles gave me a hard time.
And in Prophecy, I almost ate my joystick: I never found the distress beacon in the asteroid field in time. Later I found out that this mission is quite easy - just leave one Morray alive, und go searching for the probe.

But all those problems are nothing compared to the (classical!!) X-Wing mission Tour of duty 4: Defend the Ram's Head. I guess I had to try this mission at least 157 times before succeeding - but that, of course, is quite off-topic and a completely other story...

Greets,
Puri

Originally posted by Eder
IIRC, LOAF once said that there was going to be a sprite version of the H'haifra, cause they were planning to use it in a mission.

--Eder
Yeah, I just remembered LOAF saying that. Unfortunately, after the H'haifra got scrubbed from the K'tithrak Mang mission, they didn't even put the ship in for the final mission in the Alternate Gwynedd (despite having a cutscene that showed the ship as part of the fleet in that system). They just replaced it with a standard Ralatha.

Back