What was your first Wing Commander experience?

What was your first experience with Wing Commander?

• WC1 (PC)

Votes: 26 44.1%
  • WC1 (SNES)

Votes: 10 16.9%
  • WC2

Votes: 9 15.3%
  • Privateer

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • Armada

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Academy

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • WC3

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • Kilrathi Saga

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • WCIV

• WCP and/or WCSO

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My first experience was Wing Commander I for SNES...after that, I jumped straight to Wing Commander II on DOS, WCIII, Privateer, Armada, Righteous Fire, Privateer2, WCIV, WCP, WCSO...

What about you? :)

WC3 for me. This poll is missing a lot of games. Where's Arena and P2? And if you're listing different versions/ports, Prophecy for the GBA, WC1 for PSP, the PlayStation ports and the recent GameTap releases are all big deals.

First contact huh, well that brings back some nostalgic memories. Privateer at my fathers new work PC looked awesome on SVGA and after intro I was hooked. Fast forward year or two WC1 that I unfortunately couldnt finish then WC2 plus extras. After that a soon to become best friend gave me Armada on disks then a long pause until I had a chance to try WC4 suffice to say I wanted to finish it but couldnt do that yet for some couple of years. Had a chance to try out WCP then get my hands on full WC4 that I finally finished (the long wait was soooo worth it) around same time I managed to find RF addon for priv so that was another lucky strike. Then WC3 from Kilrathi Saga and finally WCP:SO.:)

Wing Commander 1, on DOS. Snuck onto my stepfather's computer to play it, and broke the computer... it took another full YEAR before I was able to play it again.

My grandfather owned Wing Commander I, and when he broke his PC (a frequent occurrence), he left it with my father to be fixed. After a few days, my dad had fixed up the machine, and installed Wing Commander to test if the joystick worked.

I played that game every chance I got until my grandfather picked it up. I was five or six at the time, and I'm not sure that I ever got past the first mission, but I was absolutely thrilled by the entire experience. My friend came over and we would swap off playing the first mission over and over again, imagining ourselves as pilots on the Tiger's Claw, fighting for humanity. I even hid away Claw Marks, and I still have it to this day, a little worn, but the same copy from all those years ago.

Interestingly, I would occasionally see Wing Commanders in stores, WC2, 3, 4, so on... but I never got back into it until a friend in the fifth grade told me how Wing Commander III and IV had full motion video. This blew my ten year old mind to the point that I had to have it. Kilrathi Saga was released that year, and I wound up getting both it and WCIV for Christmas. Ever since then... I've been a dedicated fan for as long as I can remember. To me, playing that game wasn't just the first Wing Commander game to me, it was the first time I saw a computer game as something *more* than just a mindless diversion.

Privateer is the first game I played (I had to sneak onto my brothers computer when he wasn't home and figure out his password!).
The first game I saw being played was WC 1 but I didn't get to play it at the time. The second game I played was WC 2 at my friend's house. He didn't like the game (I don't know why) so he gave it to me. I loved the Rapier back then (now I don't like it as much).

WC1 on SNES for me. I was sort of skeptical at first, as my best friend told me about it and said "You've got to try this"...I was home on leave and had a few things on my mind that I wanted to do. I ended up playing through at least half the game in one setting!

I first had the OEM version of Prophecy on a Real 3D Starfighter demo CD. I loved it and I wanted to get the full version. I ended up getting Age of Empires instead. I then discovered that my real goal was Wing Commander: Prophecy after playing Age of Empires. Too bad it wasn't available at the time. My dad then purchased it from Ebay for me earlier this summer and now I have it. It's too bad the person didn't send it with any manuals.

I first had the OEM version of Prophecy on a Real 3D Starfighter demo CD. I loved it and I wanted to get the full version. I ended up getting Age of Empires instead. I then discovered that my real goal was Wing Commander: Prophecy after playing Age of Empires. Too bad it wasn't available at the time. My dad then purchased it from Ebay for me earlier this summer and now I have it. It's too bad the person didn't send it with any manuals.

Neat, But do you mean the Prophecy Demo? An OEM is a disk-only version of a full game, so if you had an OEM version you wouldn't need the game.

One thing that has always been really cool about the prophecy demo was that it's actually an extra mission branch that fits within the prophecy structure... so you haven't played the whole game without also playing the demo.

It probably wouldn't be to hard for the standoff guys or HCl to hack the missions into the full game at the appropriate place.

Back in 1990, we used to play WC1 on my best friend's PC... One of us flew and shot, the other one changed through guns and missiles as needed, as well as handling the nav map. After each mission (or death) we switched. We sure spent many afternoons this way, and we had a great time!
Wing Commander was the main reason why I wanted to have my own computer, and it was in fact the first game I ever played on PC. (And "Ironduke" was the callsign I used for my first pilot, naming him after a battleship appearing - eventually twice - in the German SF series "Perry Rhodan." There, now you know all my dark secrets! :p )

Continued with the Secret Missions, then with WC2 and Secret Operations (later buying the Deluxe Edition with Speech Pack). Privateer and Righteous Fire were next. For some obscure reason, I left out WC3, playing it through only some years after its release, when I already had played WC4 (first on CDs, then on DVD). Never played P2, mainly because I only had a German version, and I never wanted to play a translated Wing Commander title. Never played Prophecy, either (same reason: I couldn't get a hold of the US version), just Secret Ops. And now there's Arena... :)

In was back in the school so long ago.
6-Mzh EGA 286 PC...
It was so cool, it even did have HDD.
And it had "real cool" games with size of ywo or even three diskettes! :-D
So we were thinking...

And someone played WC1 there. We were not allowed to near the HDD-capable PC, so just stared at it. And oh joy! The school was given a whole batch of 386 ATs. And the show DID begin then...

Neat, But do you mean the Prophecy Demo? An OEM is a disk-only version of a full game, so if you had an OEM version you wouldn't need the game.

No. The OEM version of prophecy wasn't the full game and it only contained the content that was on CD 1 of Wing Commander Prophecy. You would play the same missions that you would in the full game, but instead of inserting CD 2 going to the H'rekkah system, the game would pop up with the advertisement you would see at the end of the Prophecy demo.

It wasn't the demo either.

No. The OEM version of prophecy wasn't the full game and it only contained the content that was on CD 1 of Wing Commander Prophecy. You would play the same missions that you would in the full game, but instead of inserting CD 2 going to the H'rekkah system, the game would pop up with the advertisement you would see at the end of the Prophecy demo.

It wasn't the demo either.

Interesting... Technically that's not an OEM version. But it is still quite interesting. semantics aside, that's the first I've heard of this version of what is essentially an extended demo. I've run into that kind of thing before with other games though. At one point Eidos was selling Deus Ex CDs for a few dollars that was the first five missions from the game.

You say it was on a CD with other demos? Did they make any other changes for size considerations? Were all the movies still there too? Probably some of the others here have run into it before though.

Although wc1 on the snes was my first experiance i will always hold my memory of my first proper go on the wc universe.

Christmas ten years ago (god do i feel old) i had asked for wc3, thinking "Well Im not sure my pc will hold for wc4" (a long time ago, didn't know much about computers then) But lo did i recieve wc4....I was hooked, the story telling, the acting...the everything! I was wing commander everything from that point on.

You say it was on a CD with other demos? Did they make any other changes for size considerations? Were all the movies still there too? Probably some of the others here have run into it before though.

Well, actually that Prophecy extended demo was on one of three CDs of demos for the Real 3D Starfighter card. This is what they did for size considerations. All the demos were spread out on three CDs.

And yes, all the movies were included as well.

Back