What was your first WC experiance?

I first heard of Wing Commander in late 1990, whlie I was waiting for Dynamix's Ace's of the Pacific to come out (I was quite the WW2 buff). My father suggested I try Wing Commander (1) instead, because Jerry Pournelle had wrote of how great it was in his Byte column. Although I came quite close to buying WC right then and there, I did not... I moved to France soon after and forgot about the game.

I next heard of Wing Commander in France -- one of my friends had a pirated copy, but in the ultimate proof that stupid horrible copy protection *did* work, all we could ever do was watch the intro and then randomly guess the question. Again, I gave up on Wing Commander.

When I returned to the US (mid-1991, still pre-WC2), my best friend had a copy of the original game, which I promptly took from him and played on my 286/12. Immediately, I was in love...

Mine was in 1992 when I played wc1 for the first time and loved it.Then i got privateer and that is stell my favorite wc game.

------------------
SEPHIROTH (ICEMAN)

I first heard of Wing Commnader was in 1991 when my uncle bought the WC/Ultima 6 Classic Edition ( I forgot what it was really called) so he would have something for the 386 he bought a few weeks before. I wasn't much of a computer gamer before it, but after my first mission I couldn't put the game down.

------------------
Meson

Wing Commander is more than just a game. It is a lifestyle.

In 1996, I came out to visit my Dad. He had Privateer and WC2. Loved Privateer. It took me a while to fall in love with WC2. But since then, I've never been the same

My first experience....

Well, mine was back in 1993, I think, somewhere around there. I was reading a magazine and I saw that a game called Wing Commander, that was such a big hit on the PC, was coming out on the Super NES. Well, when in a Blockbuster with a friend, I saw the game for rent, and talked him into getting it...he wanted some football game....ugh...

Needless to say, we got WC and fired it up when we got to his house....we both fell in love, and have been hooked ever since...

I got the SNES version for WC too. It was damn annoying when fighting one of the Kilrathi bosses (Cant remember his name, praobably Mr. Starkiller). When he flew away you could never catch him and always did a quick attack run, not even giving u time to give him damage.
frown.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I never cared for Wing Commander at all.
My friends were all interested in Shooters,and Racers.
One day at EB I found a copy of Wing Commander Prophecy in the bargin bin.
I looked at the game for a while and seen it supported 3DFX so I gave it a shot.
Now I am a WC junkie.
I now have
Wing Commander I
Wing Commander II
Wing Commander I and II Deluxe Edition (special CD-Rom Edition that Contains WC 1 and 2 with all Secret/Special Operations
and Speech Packs).
Wing Commander III Premiere Edition
(Contains WC3, Behind the Scenes
CD-ROM, and Making of VHS Video)
Wing Commander Kilrathi Saga
Wing Commander IV
Wing Commander IV Dvd-Rom
Wing Commaner Prophecy
Wing Commander Prophecy Gold
Privateer Gold Edition
Privateer 2 Deluxe Edition

<Eric Idle>You 'ucky 'ucky bastard!</Eric Idle>

------------------
The time is near.
There are still quite a few days remaining.

Hail to the king, baby.
-Ash, housewares

I don't care for fame, power or money...
I just want to FIGHT!
-Sanosuke Sagara

Wing Commander I for the PC w/SM1 installed (SM2 not yet availible...I don't think). I was introduced by a friend, I was not at all a fan of space sim-type games at the time (more RPG/Adventure) but between the quality of action and the immersive feel...well...since then I have come to own every PC-released WC (&Privateer) game as well as the SegaCD WC1, and WC3 and 4 for the PSX.

Mine was meeting Spirit in WCI on SNES. I made a chalk picture of her in Art class. Reliable pilot, great personality, made me feel at home on the Tiger's Claw.

Bluehair, when fighting a Kilrathi boss in WCI, the thing to do is to keep as many missiles as possible in that mission and when the boss gets near, fire them all simultaneously that way you're more than gauranteed that the boss fighter will be obliterated.

Eddie2u said:
...Wing Commander I and II Deluxe Edition (special CD-Rom Edition that Contains WC 1 and 2 with all Secret/Special Operations
and Speech Packs)...

That edition is called the Wing Commander Twin Pack.

And as for my first experiance, my bro brought home WC1, and after watching him play it 24/7, I had to give it a try. By the time I had a chance to do that, my bro took it back (it was his friend's). THen I bought WC2 when it came, following it's add-ons, and the rest of serise (now all I need is armada, which I once had but lost
frown.gif
).

------------------
Evilution!

[This message has been edited by Hero (edited August 30, 2000).]

I know you couldn't in the PC version of those games. Not until WCIII. You could maybe fire them all at one of the Aces like Khajja in a relatively
smile.gif
constant stream, if you were in a Rapier (which didn't have HS missles) or if you were tailing him in another ship to use the Heat Seekers along with the other missles. In the PC version there is no way to fire missles simultaneously. On another thought, I always thought there should have been a Gratha Ace in WC1. Though none of the other Aces were that bad to begin with. Oh well.

[This message has been edited by Shane (edited August 31, 2000).]

Hmm, I actually found the aces to be a nice challenge. Bhurak, for example, was practically unkillable. And Khajja was a pain too - I was glad to meet him on an offensive mission, and I shudder at the thought of having to deal with him while defending a transport.
I'm also very, very glad that there was no Gratha ace. The Gratha is one of the greatest Kilrathi designs ever. I'd rather not have to deal with one flown by an ace... imagine how the "Save the Ralari" mission would look then
smile.gif

My first experience with Wing Commander was in 1995. I got my first Pc and went to the computerstore to get my first game, it was Wc3. Since then i got crazy about wc and played all the games and read all the books (even the animated series was not save from me).

Bhurak was hard to kill because he ran away, so you either had to kill him quick or he was gone. I don't rember Khaja being hard either. The only challenge that Drakkath presented was that he was one of 6 (?) Dralthi, and then you had another 5 show up. Jukaga was no challenge becuase the Jalthi usually was pretty easy to take down, just so long as you stayed away from the front of the thing. Course you're flying with a mouse, so everything would be hard
tongue.gif

[This message has been edited by Shane (edited September 01, 2000).]

Oh, don't be silly
smile.gif
. The mouse is what made WC 1 so easy for me (except when I flew the Rapier - with the mouse, it becomes too manoeuvrable to control)
biggrin.gif

BTW, you've got a few names wrong. The Dralthi ace was Dakhath (who, interestingly enough, seems to have survived to WC3), and the Jalthi ace was Bhaktosh Redclaw (Khasra's brother). Jukaga is a somewhat different individual
wink2.gif

Is there a list of Kilrathi aces from Wing Commander II? I don't remember seeing any profiles like you do for the first and third games, but I do remember running into some cat named Kur.

------------------
Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

Must have been think J is for Jalthi, J is for Jukaga
smile.gif
Don't have my Claw Marks with me today, which is also why I mispelled Deathstroke. I thought the WCIII version was his son, or am I thinking of another one of the aces? Figures, I decided since today is a short work day I wouldn't lug my bag (which as some of my WC stuff in it) to the office.

There were some Ace's in WCII, Kur was one, Khasra also showed up and of course Thrak. I was thinking there was another Ghsomething, but I can't recall. I can't seem to find my WCII docs at home, almost tempted to buy another copy of the thing just to get them.

[This message has been edited by Shane (edited September 01, 2000).]

Back