What to do when Win98 Compatibility fails you...

Farbourne

Rear Admiral
Hi Everyone,

I posted this question in the Standoff forum, but I've since realized that the issue with actually with SecretOps, so I thought reposting it here in the general Tech support thread might get a more helpful answer, since it's not really something the Standoff folk specifically may know...

The short version: Secret Ops, and hence Standoff (and probably Unknown Enemy, though I haven't tried it) won't run on my computer anymore.

I have an oldish Dell Latitude laptop, and I used to run Secret Ops (and Kilrathi saga, and other WC titles) just fine on it, up till about two months ago. At the time it was running WinXP SP1. Then, because I was running SP1, a nasty virus got in and ate my entire OS, and I had to reformat it and install WinXP fresh. Now I have WinXP SP2, with all the updates. The only other difference from my previous system configuration that I'm aware of is that I also now run a better virus scanner--Kaspersky instead of McAfee.

Since Wing Commander is fraught with awesome, one of the very first programs I tried to reload on my system was Secret Ops and Standoff. I downloaded the Secret Ops distro from CIC, and Standoff Eps 1-4 from the Standoff folks website. Installed both, set both to Win98 compatibility mode, and tried running them.

No dice. When I try to run either executable, the screen goes black (sometimes after resizing my desktop to whatever resolution the program wants, but this is normal as far as I can remember), thinks for a minute, and then crashes, with a Windows message that secretops.exe or standoff.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.

I've tried Win95 compatibility mode, Win98 compatibility mode, and no compatibility mode turned on; with full audio acceleration and with audio acceleration turned off; with both Standoff and Secret Ops installed, and with just Secret Ops; and all possible permutations of the above, and nothing works. I've also tried turning off my anti-virus program in case it's messing with anything. Still nothing works. Same symptoms every time. I've also tried changing the program to run with "D3D" video acceleration instead of the default, "software", and that didn't have any effect either.

For the record, my system has an ATI graphics card (not sure which one...whatever is built into a Dell Latitude C640), and I'm running DirectX 9c, which, when I run the dxdiag.exe diagnostics, claims everything is fine with my DirectX install.

The only other thing that may be (but probably is not) relevant is when I first did the install, and tried to change the video setting to either D3D or "software", from the launcher panel, I got an error message that "glide2x.dll" could not be found. At the suggestion of another CIC tech support thread, I found the file online and installed it, and now I don't get that error any more, but the program still doesn't work.

I've seen descriptions of what seem like similar problems in other threads searching through the CIC forums, but the solution always seems to be "enable compatibility mode and/or turn off audio acceleration". I've tried both of these things and neither works.

If anyone has any other suggestions of what to try, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm all out of ideas, and am kind of bummed because I really wanted to play Ep 4 of Standoff (and also, have never finished Secret Ops). I'm a little out of my element--I used to be quite computer savvy, but haven't been involved in troubleshooting Windows systems since about 1998 or so, and things seem to have changed slightly since then... :) Especially with graphics cards and graphics engines. Of course, the problem may be graphics, sound, memory, or something else...I really have no clue...

You're right. I woudn't bother trying to run standoff untill I got secret ops running properly. Have you tried updating your video drivers (or even the opposite: reverting to a previous version)?

Alternately, try installing a glide wrapper (http://www.zeckensack.de/glide/index.html). Download the newest version and run the configurator. Then install the game with the graphics set to glide mode.

You're right. I woudn't bother trying to run standoff untill I got secret ops running properly. Have you tried updating your video drivers (or even the opposite: reverting to a previous version)?

Alternately, try installing a glide wrapper (http://www.zeckensack.de/glide/index.html). Download the newest version and run the configurator. Then install the game with the graphics set to glide mode.

The video drivers I'm running are the same ones that I was running when secret ops used to work, so I'm not sure that would help... In any case, I can't find the drivers for my video card on the manufacturer's website (it's a Mobility Radeon 7500).

I tried the glide wrapper you reccommended. Now "3dfx Glide" is selectable as a video card, but the game still doesn't run. Same symptoms as before. Black screen, and then

"SecretOps.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

Thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate any help you folks can offer...

No. He's right it works. You just have to find the right resolution for the Glide that works with your vid card. Had to screw with the resolutions for a little while myself before it worked; Dund had to walk me through it. Keep screwing with it...can't make a program that doesn't work any worse. Besided that the graphics are awsome with the Glide wrap so it's worth trying. :)

Ha ha, I found the problem, I think. Turns out it had nothing to do with video settings or the glide wrapper...

Previously, when the game used to work, I had been running McAfee Anti Virus. I'm now running Kaspersky Anti-Virus (version 7). It seems that something in Kaspersky was interfering with the Secret Ops engine from loading (possibly some aspect of running in compatibility mode), and hence Standoff wouldn't work, either.

To fix the problem, I had to turn Kaspersky's "Compatibility mode" on. This is distinct from Windows' compatibility mode--it is Kaspersky's compatiblity with programs running their own "self protection", whatever that means. THEN I had to reboot (I had tried disabling Kaspersky and running Secret Ops, but apparently without a reboot the problem persisted). Now Secret Ops starts, so I'm confident Standoff will work as well (although maybe I should test it before getting too excited).

Thanks for all the suggestions from everyone, especially the suggestions to install the Glide Wrapper...it makes Secret Ops look much better...

anyone know if AVG might do something similar?
I had last played standoff back around Jan. 2007 (I think based on the date I saw on a saved game). I got through eps 1-3 with no issues
I tried episode 4 a few months ago and it would crash non stop, usually just about at the end of a mission. I think I was able to get one mission into it as one time I got lucky and it crashed after landing and saving instead of during the mission
I think I was still using mcafee when it last worked

That doesn't sound like the symptoms I had. For me, the game was crashing before it even loaded. Forget even playing missions...

I would ask your question in the Standoff forum. I believe between the Ep3 and the Ep4 release the Standoff folk implemented some new features, including some higher res starfields and maybe some different cockpit features (?), and maybe some of these might be affecting things...

anyone know if AVG might do something similar?
I had last played standoff back around Jan. 2007 (I think based on the date I saw on a saved game). I got through eps 1-3 with no issues
I tried episode 4 a few months ago and it would crash non stop, usually just about at the end of a mission. I think I was able to get one mission into it as one time I got lucky and it crashed after landing and saving instead of during the mission
I think I was still using mcafee when it last worked
I use AVG-free without any problem. I too would suggest you post on the Standoff forums a description of your problem, error message, system specs and game config.

I just had exactly the same symptoms when trying to run SM2. However, I just realised I was using the SM2.exe that was in the unzipped folder, and not the correct one which was in WC1 folder. Changed my shortcut to the one in the WC1 folder and now it works properly ! Hope this helps .

Back