What`s new, people?

Mad Hatter

Spaceman
Hey everybody.
I don`t have a lot of time to visit the CZ very frequently on account of my studies and everything any more. In fact I haven`t had a chance to pass by at all in the past couple weeks.
Since the situation hasn`t changed much, and I can`t afford to read through every thread, I was wondering if anyone would be so kind, and bring me up to speed on what`s been going on around?
From what I did manage to read, I`ve noticed talk about Peter Telep`s Pilgrim Truth, a second movie, and all kinds of projects opening and closing and reopening again.
I`ll be back tomorrow, and I`d really like to know what`s new, so see you around, ppl, and keep the WC universe live and kicking.

Mad Hatter: Well here goes.
Peter Telep would like for as many people as possible to send reviews of his novel Red Planet to Amazon.com. In return for this he'd be willing to release the Pilgrim Truth outline.
Recently someone at Euniverse.com (look back through recent news for the link) interviewed Mark Hamill. He mentioned a second movie in the works. As yet this is totally uncorroborated.
As for the projects - there are a lot of them. The CIC has put up section for them. So far they seem to be mostly converting WC ships into other games like ST:Armada & Starlancer.
Also recently the CIC staff upgraded the bulletin board.
Microsoft has or is going to acquire Digital Anvil & Chris Roberts (and probably his brother Erin) are leaving. Freelancer may possibly be released without some of the things it was supposed to have.

Your best bet though is to look back through recent news updates.

Silent Warrior: I thought you *had* a girlfriend.

I don`t have a lot of time to visit the CZ very frequently on account of my studies and everything any more. In fact I haven`t had a chance to pass by at all in the past couple weeks.
I was starting to wonder if you didn't get recalled to active duty or something :).

Originally posted by Quarto
I was starting to wonder if you didn't get recalled to active duty or something :).

Not yet, Quarto, but who knows... If things just get a little worse than they are, they probably won`t have a choise. However, with the way my studies are going, it doesn`t sound like such a bad prospect after all. ;)

Anyhoo, about Peter Telep, does this mean there will be a third book? or does it mean that he`ll just show us what the book was going to be like, if it ever came out?

Not yet, Quarto, but who knows... If things just get a little worse than they are, they probably won`t have a choise.
I'd say something positive, but that would probably be lying. Although I still don't think the situation is likely to escalate any further... at the same time, it doesn't seem to be de-escalating, either.

However, with the way my studies are going, it doesn`t sound like such a bad prospect after all. ;)
Whoa... that bad, eh? :)

Anyhoo, about Peter Telep, does this mean there will be a third book? or does it mean that he`ll just show us what the book was going to be like, if it ever came out?
Just what the book would be like. The book has been written, but presumably he can't show the actual book because Harper Collins (or whoever was supposed to publish it... I can't remember) would ritually dissect him if he did.

I still don't get how it all started because some guy decided to visit a mosque. He must be kicking himself right now.

Well, it was a little more than just some guy at a mosque. And some would argure that he went there to incite a response. The fact that he may end up PM furthers that point of view. Of course there are many folks who believe that the more militant Palestinians were looking for any excuse. Either way, I think the situation has the potential to spiral out of control, and no one on either side who may have encouraged this early on realized, imho, that it would get to the point it has.

[Edited by Shane on 12-08-2000 at 12:53]

Shane: "I think the situation has the potential to spiral out of control."
Uhhh. Its already out of control. :(
"no one on either side who may have encouraged this early on realized, imho, that it would get to the point it has."
Problem is the politicians are milking it for all their worth. :mad:

Cricket, you have to keep in mind that this same guy was "indirectly" (the quotation marks tell you what I think of that) responsible for the slaughter of about two thousand Palestinian refugees in two refugee camps (Sabra and Shatila). He's also responsible for quite a few other things, and to put it simply, the Palestinians hate him. Also, this isn't just any mosque. The Al-Aqsa is not quite as holy as Mecca, but it's close. To put it simply, the Muslims (not just the Palestinians) felt that his presence defiled the mosque (I agree...).

Quarto: You skipped one thing. The real problem with the Al Aqsa Mosque or at least that particular site is that it doubles as a Jewish holy site. I believe they call it the Temple Mount (?). Civil libertarians would argue that he has full rights to visit it. However you're right in your assessment - having the right to do something doesn't mean you should.

change subject... please!!

Cricket: you`d be suprised who some people would choose to blame instead of themselves.

Quarto: Once again, you`ve outdone yourself. You almost know things better than I do... ;)

However, this topic is about you, this site, and everything that`s Wing Commander related. Believe me, I get enough news on what`s going around, without having to come here, no offence. :)
One thing I did not fully understand, is if the book is already written, why doesn`t it get published? What are they waiting for?

BTW, have you heared? My prime minister has just resigned.

BTW, have you heared? My prime minister has just resigned.
Oddly enough, no. Well, my 'net connection's been down the whole day, so I haven't had a chance to check the news.

Anyway, the book hasn't been published yet, because the publisher decided not to publish it, while at the same time sitting on top of it so that nobody else can publish it either. I guess Wing Commander and Pilgrim Stars didn't sell enough, or something.

Originally posted by Quarto
Anyway, the book hasn't been published yet, because the publisher decided not to publish it, while at the same time sitting on top of it so that nobody else can publish it either. I guess Wing Commander and Pilgrim Stars didn't sell enough, or something.

What the hell is it with Wing Commander and "sitting on top" of products?! :mad:
On the one hand, companies know they have a great product, while on the other hand the don`t think people are ready for it.

DAG NAB IT!! :)

[Edited by Mad Hatter on 12-10-2000 at 18:23]

SW says:
You use the INTERNET for checking news? What about the TV? Or has the tabloidism spread?
Tabloidism? What the hell does that have to do with anything? :) If I watch TV, I'm forced to watch whatever the TV people feel is 'newsworthy'. If I use the internet, I can focus on the stuff that I think is important. In other words, I get to check the news, and skip all the 'man bites dog' and 'boy born without brain' crap. And, contrary to popular belief, you can get just as much news info through the internet as you can through TV.

'Hatter: I guess WC products are just so comfy to sit on :).

Back