What is...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bandit

Spaceman
hey guys. i've noticed how occassionally people ask for disks and all to wing commander or privateer or something. do you think that classifies as "warez" (according to this sites definition)? i personally think it is, but have heard from several different admins otherwise. i was banned (even though i am somewhat a someone in WC community, as i run the DMOZ listing of WC and have a fairly popular privateer site to boot) before by these omnipotent people for posting a link to download to a wc game, not realizing all the intricities of these "rules" of posting (if afterall, giving a disk to someone isn't warez according to the admins, then how can linking to it be? they're still gettin it either way). write back. and admins, if you do happen to delete this name, not only would you be admitting that you are wrong, you would be squelching open discussion. remember, i could get another screen name. hear me out and this thread too.

So?
I´m someone in my community, nobody care who are you or what site you manage, if you don´t agree with the rules here don´t post, don´t be a troll

don´t be a troll

That goes for everyone here ;)

True, though: if yyou don't like the site these people PAID FOR WITH THEIR COLD DEAD CASH, DON'T COME HERE. This really isn't the place to discuss admin issues; email them if you really want to.

well, oddly enough, ghost, we happen to all share this overlying community, a wing commander community. people that manage sites like mine keep privateer and stuff actually alive, w/ downloads and pics and all that fun stuff. if we dont go out and get new people, no new wing commander game will ever be released. especially if there are people around here that stifle talk of wing commander. you'll just alienate everyone and that wont help the cause. i DO agree w/ the rules here, genius. i just dont think the admins themselves know what they say. if they allow people to "HINT" at the existence of warez (ie by asking and promising to give disks), they have already violated their own rules, so "enforcing" them is quite hypocritical, as they dont even follow their own.

they are this sites rules. when you signed up you agreed to follow them. dosn't matter if you cant understand them (everyone else seems to be able to)

Originally posted by bandit
well, oddly enough, ghost, we happen to all share this overlying community, a wing commander community. people that manage sites like mine keep privateer and stuff actually alive, w/ downloads and pics and all that fun stuff. if we dont go out and get new people, no new wing commander game will ever be released. especially if there are people around here that stifle talk of wing commander. you'll just alienate everyone and that wont help the cause. i DO agree w/ the rules here, genius. i just dont think the admins themselves know what they say. if they allow people to "HINT" at the existence of warez (ie by asking and promising to give disks), they have already violated their own rules, so "enforcing" them is quite hypocritical, as they dont even follow their own.

Give me one example, don´t said that someone was hypocrital without proofs (obviously don´t post a warez or your homepage)

http://crius.net/zone/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4585

this is the thread in particular i'm referring to. they didnt close the thread until AFTER much talk had been done about disks and all ("hinting").

$tormin...
my whole point here is interpretation. if one thing is allowed (hinting), that pretty much negates the whole rules thing. they are being selectively (and ineffectually) enforced.

Originally posted by bandit
$tormin...
my whole point here is interpretation. if one thing is allowed (hinting), that pretty much negates the whole rules thing. they are being selectively (and ineffectually) enforced.

the enforcement may (as you see it) be lax and selective but the rules should still be followed.

The only link there is yours boy, and the thread was closed 2 minutes after your post, and as you can see there nobody gives the poor fella some info on how about he can have warez games, until you wrote your link, and as you can also see there Eder and Battler Hawke both sugested to buy the Priv-cd.

You really don't get it, do you? I may not care that people go and download Privateer, however, due to legal and ethical considerations the administrators of this site have decided that they do not want anything to do with it. This is quite clear in the rules. You either didn't bother to actually read the things, or you decided to flagrantly ignore them. Either way, you were warned and it's your own damned fault. Not only that, but you then came back and violated at least two more rules for good measure! You decided that you'd come back and both discuss administration policies on the board and create a new user account. I know you're capable of discussing over e-mail, you sent a few messages to chatzone@.

There is a rather large difference between asking for a single disk and posting a place for anyone to download the game. If someone were to mail the contents of one disk to that person, I doubt many could complain. A person that asks for a single disk would, in my eyes, actually have a licence for the game. Because of this, they can quite legally be sent the disk. I would, however, find it suspicious if someone were to ask for each disk, one after another.

I find it quite sad, personally, that you expect special treatment for having a rather half rate website and maintaining a few Wing Commander links. It doesn't matter, we don't care. I, quite personally, had no problem with you until you decided to do this. All I can tell is that you're just some whiny person who needs to get their own way. You know what? You screwed up repeatedly, so you get to face the consequences. In this case, the consequences involve not posting on this board.

I've actually decided that I like you even less now than I did at the begining of this message. You've pissed me off, and I really don't like being pissed off.

Any problems you have with this message can be sent to chatzone@wcnews.com or just myself at TC@blacklance.org .

Thank you, and goodnight.

Damn straight TC!

I really can't help but agree with the idea that if they're asking for only one disk, and don't attempt to gain the rest of them, they must have the game-else it'd be rather pointless to have A disk of the original Privateer.

Also, the thread wasn't closed until you placed your link, which was your own fault entirely. Asking for a disk to be sent to you, in the mail-not downloaded as a warez-is NOT "hinting" at being illegal.

Hinting does not negate the idea of their rule. After all, I know more than a few sites you can obtain illegal games, but in saying that I do doesn't mean that I'm going to be banned for that knowledge. I just hinted I could give you the answers, but I'm NOT PUTTING THEM ON THE BOARD. That's really the key point to the rule, try to see the whole picture, not just focus on one place you think you can outsmart the Admins.

Although I'm sure people appreciate your concern about trying to keep the rules cleared up (although I really don't see a problem with them), should there be something like this in the future, try to keep it to an e-mail, that too is a violation of the rules. (Let me leave it for you, so you can read and try to remember this time.)

9) If you believe that the CIC staff have made a mistake in regard to (8), you are allowed to protest. However, this is NOT to be done _on_ the board. You should use E-Mail, ICQ, or IRC. Any messages posted on the 'Zone for this purpose will be deleted, and the person responsible may, at the CIC's discretion, be banned.

Although I find it somewhat odd how that thread went on for a while, yet <Stilletto> was immedietly banned for mumbling about his...thingy...

Stiletto was temporarily banned.

and admins, if you do happen to delete this name, not only would you be admitting that you are wrong, you would be squelching open discussion. remember, i could get another screen name. hear me out and this thread too.

Rogue Nova/bandit, when I told you that you're not supposed to re-register when you get banned, that also meant you're not supposed to re-re-register. So please don't re-re-re-register, because I could just IP ban you from the whole server. It doesn't make any difference to me.

Wait a minute, I read through every thread around here, and I didn't notice -<Stiletto>- mumbling about anything.... what thread was that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back