What is the best setup for P1 and P2?

Wouldn't the lines in the priv.cfg and rf.cfg be the following?:

in priv.cfg:

=c:\privater\priv.cfg

in rf.cfg
=c:\privater\rf.cfg

I think that the lines that you posted are incorrect. Will those lines work? Seems to me that the priv.tre and rf.tre files would be copied directly to the "C" drive and not in a directory.

Here's my current Autoexec.bat file:
rem @echo off
rem set temp=c:\temp
rem set tmp=c:\temp
rem set path=c:\windows;c:\windows\command;c:\progra~1\creative\sblive\dosdrv\;
rem set path=c:\progra~1\creative\sblive\dosdrv\;
SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H7 P330 T6
SET CTSYN=C:\WINDOWS
C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\SBLIVE\DOSDRV\SBEINIT.COM
rem c:\sb\sbemixer.exe
(Please note that only 3 lines are active here)

Current Config.sys file:
rem Device=c:\windows\himem.sys
rem device=c:\windows\emm386.exe 2592 ram
rem dos=high,umb

The game will run, but no sound....
If I start using these lines in the config.sys, the "priv" command locks up tighter than a drum and no game play.....I thought that there would also be a difference in using the himem.sys and emm386 files in my dos directory, but they proved to do the same as the ones in the windows directory!

No, No, No, No!!!!!! Do exactly as I wrote. Use the autoexec.bat and config.sys I created. Your problem is your not following my instructions. You're screwing up the memory settings. I know what I am doing. Stop fighting me. I am right, you are wrong! That why the game won't play correctly. We are on the third page on this forum. This should have been done in one page.

John

I guess you did not read what I said about the config.sys file, when I use any of those files, THE GAME LOCKS UP.....

I did try it your way...and I'll try it again.

On a previous post you typed in the following to be used for the sblive card and the selections for the music and speech:

SB 16 Port=220 Irq=5 DMA=1
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H1 P330 T6 J201

My question is this...The SBLive card is on IRQ5 and If I set the blaster as =A220 I5 D1 H1 P330 T6 J201 it will not work. One thing is that the irq is already in use. I've tried this before and had errors out the rear. Blaster can not be set at I5...therefore, it has to be A220 I7 D1 H7 P330 T6....When I went into the dosdrv and used the sbeset command I tried using the 201 for the joystick...It cam back with an error stating that I can not use that...it gave other possible ports ...so I'm using port 200 for the Joystick.

As for the config.sys file...I have no idea. I have tried one line at a time and no dice...lockup city....no go....How do you want me to run the game with sound if you KEEP using the Config.sys file lines. My problem is with the lines!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The mouse works great in the game. It's just about odd if something is telling you that the config.sys is wrong and YOUR NOT BELIEVING IT.

Ok John this is what I did

I copied your config.sys and autoexec.bat files from one of your previous postings. In your autoexec.bat file the line for setting the ctyn=c:\windows is incorrect. The line should be ctsyn=c:\windows. I copied again your two files to another boot disk. Here are the two files that I used:

[common]
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE 16384 RAM FRAME=E000 /I=B000-B7FF
DOS=HIGH,UMB

REM --- CD-ROM Drive ---
rem DEVICEHIGH=C:\CDROM\AOATAPI.SYS /D:IDECD000

STACKS=18,256
FILESHIGH=50
BUFFERSHIGH=35
SHELL=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM C:\WINDOWS /P
LASTDRIVE=F

SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\SBLIVE\DOSDRV\;
SET TEMP=C:\TEMP
SET TMP=C:\TEMP
PROMPT $p$g
SET CTSYN=C:\WINDOWS
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H1 P330 T6 J201
C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\SBLIVE\DOSDRV\SBEINIT.COM
REM --- CD-ROM Drive ---
rem LH C:\WINDOWS\MSCDEX.EXE /D:IDECD000 /M:20 /E

REM --- Mouse-----
LH C:\MOUSE\MOUSE.EXE

SET COMSPEC=C:\windows\COMMAND.COM

As you can see I got an error with the sound card from the autoexec.bat.... I went to the dosdrv directory and used the sbeset command and changed out the irq to 5 but that caused a pci irq conflict...so, I stuck with the irq of 7 for the blaster. I can play the game, but no sound. What is your current sound.cfg lines? Could you posted them please?

I am thinking that the game does not like IRQ 7 on you systems. Don't use the sbeset command. Also you can go in to your system BIOS and under PNP/PCI Configuration set IRQ 5 to Legacy. This will reserve IRQ5 for SB16 Emulation.

I am going to the beach. Bye.

Originally posted by Johnl12
No, No, No, No!!!!!! Do exactly as I wrote. Use the autoexec.bat and config.sys I created. Your problem is your not following my instructions. You're screwing up the memory settings. I know what I am doing. Stop fighting me. I am right, you are wrong! That why the game won't play correctly. We are on the third page on this forum. This should have been done in one page.

That's very mature of you. Is this how you react when your paying customers are difficult?

Wildweasel

I'm not being difficult. You're slamming two people with one stone. Your not being fair about this. John is trying to help, but it's frustrating when this machine has everything correct on it and the sound doesn't work. If you know of a solution, please post. Otherwise, John is doing his job. I have tried changing out the pci to legacy and it failed...would recognize the card. That I found odd.

Other spec:
KK266+R Iwill w/ Athlon tbird 1ghz
hds on RAID array not ide
what other IRQ can the sblive take that's normal?

I'm being perfectly fair. Whether you recognize that fact or not is irrelevant. I was not criticizing you. I was criticizing John for his inability to keep himself under control while helping someone. If you're going to choose to help someone, you shouldn't be yelling at them on the next page. Yelling at someone does little help.

Yes, I do agree, but

I do believe that John was just a frustrated with this as I am...may you could help too.

Another interesting problem just came up after check those setting and what John as suggested about changing the pci to legacy.

Well, this is what I did. Remember there are many things that have to change in the bios in order for this to work. I did change the pci to legacy and also changing the pci/onboard sound from irq 5 to auto. The new irq for the soundcard in pci slot 3 is 9 and the sound blaster 16 is now at irq 5. However, when I went into windows under setting and then to the irq interrupts, I found an exclamation mark on the irq5 interrupt. No other device is using irq 5 but the sb16 emulation device. Could this be causing a problem with sound in the game?

Here are the drivers for the sb16 emulator
ctsyn.vxd file version 4.06.607
mmdevldr.vxd file version 4.10.1998

Are the versions correct?
Upon bootup the sb16 emulator driver is v3.04

Update....

After rebooting another exclamation mark appeared on DMA1 for the sb16 emulator as well as on DMA5. Also, another exclamation mark appeared on IRQ5 for the sb16 emulator. What gives here? Could this be from the sbeset configurations not being correct. Right now they're at A220 I7 D1 H7 P330 T6 J200. Shouldn't this also change? If not, why then?

2nd Update:

Checked under the sbeset -c command...everything changed out by itself. SB16 is now at A220 I5 D1 H7 P339 T6 J200

The joystick just got used for the 1st time :)....still no sound

I know John is using a sblive card, wildweasel what are you using?
What Music Card and speech card have you selected in the game and what are you current settings for them? or you could post your sound.cfg sothat I could use that instead.

3rd Update:
I now have sound, but the opening game movie stop at the point where the alien ship gets hit by the last missile. Could this be due to the fact that there's no music? Or, is there something else that I am not aware of?

4th Update:
Sound and music working...using music card general midi and or waveblaster and for the speech card sb16....new problem....the game locks up at the beginning during the opening movie and/or crashes when I launch the spacecraft in order to start the 1st mission.

When was the last time you run defrag and scandisk? Delete privateer and run these programs than install P1 again.

John

I just had a fresh install and a complete update of win98 from the update center at microsoft before I even started putting any type of programs or games on this machine. I have read some interesting posts about 25 pages back. I seems to me that the SBLive card was not ment to run these types of dos games. I can get the game to run w/ the joystick and basic sound only. I just can not select a music card for the life of me. Each time I do, the game locks up. It does not matter which card or irq setting. Just like when I tried to load Privateer 2, I can select a sound card just fine, but when I tried either to autoematically select or manually select the settings for any music card, I get an automatic reboot of the system. Not a lock up, a reboot. I can't figure it out. I may have to break out the AWE64 board and see if that card will take these games. I hate to do that. The sound is much better than the AWE board. Plus with the Altec Lansing sound system the walls vibrate. What do you think? I'll try the defrag and scandisk. I did a scandisk yesterday and nothing showed up. I'll do a defrag after I delete the game. I'll post my findings tomorrow. Sorry about the last couple of days. Wildweasel doesn't know what frustration is and I can understand the large print and highlighting of comments from your side. I don't think that he should have slammed you for trying. He should post helpful information in order to get this going. If this is ever solved, I just may type up a posting of "Idiots Guide to solving Privateer 1" on this site." You do have your points of view. I also think it could be the make up of this machine.

First, don't confess what I write about P1 with P2. The way these two games run are completely difference. P2 DOS version can play in Windows if you follow the instruction exactly under this link:
http://www.crius.net/zone/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3331

Talking about two game under one thread is very difficult to keep track of. Let keep this thread about P1. If you need to talk about P2 start a new thread.

Now back to P1 if after defrag and your still having problems try this program.
http://www.voodoofiles.com/2376

There is a problem with SBLive DOS drivers and P1 but it never cause this game to freeze. The worse it ever did was after a long time of playing the you would lose sound. The work around for this was to save the game after each mission so if you lose sound you would exit the game and reboot the PC.

When I played P1 with my SBLive card I set both speech and music to SB16 Port 220, Irq 5, DMA 1.

PS: When you write your issues please don't do it in one large paragraph. Break it down, make it easier to follow like I do. One issue per paragraph like we learn in high school.

Having problems running P2 in win98

Im running a 266 mhz cyrix with no current sound card. I have installed the program but when i try to start it it gives me a memory error. Then it has an illegal operation and closes. I have tried in MS-DOS but it says its a win95 exe so it wont run. Any help would be much appreciated. Zxypher_666@hotmail.com

Re: Having problems running P2 in win98

Originally posted by Zxypher
Im running a 266 mhz cyrix with no current sound card. I have installed the program but when i try to start it it gives me a memory error. Then it has an illegal operation and closes. I have tried in MS-DOS but it says its a win95 exe so it wont run. Any help would be much appreciated. Zxypher_666@hotmail.com
It's bad matter to jump on someone else thread. For it's hard to keep take of each person problems. Start your own thread. You do need a sound card to play this game. If you don't have a sound card there no point to helping you.

Back