What is EA thinking?!?

Will

Spaceman
I certainly hope Origin breaks away again and tries to push Wing Commander....cause from the article posted today ("the end"), it certainly looks like we've lost folks....

What a shame
frown.gif

I honestly don't know how someone, president or not, could let down so many fans. Frankly I'm discusted...

(Getting down on both of my knees..and looking into the deep dark sky) "Please don't let this be the end..."

Last edited by a moderator:
It'd be hard for Origin to "break away" since they're totally owned by EA.. and their president, among others, is one of the people who supports what they're currently doing. One way or another, it's not the end.. There are plenty of options.. some of which we're currently considering. It just takes dedicated people to make a difference.

Oh, I have something to say, but it's best not to be said in public.

This expression surmises it:
mad.gif

------------------
"This matter winds itself ever in new riddles.", Faramir - The Lord of The Rings

[This message has been edited by klaus (edited March 30, 2000).]

But...I don't even like Ultima.

It seems like the price per product might be going either way. It might go down if the ultima line is better organized, and more eficient, but if they are sending all those developers up the river and they try to expand the Ultima worlds then it may take longer for a product to be finished-raising expenses, that would put them back were they were.

It doesn't seem to me like the demand for Ultima games will make up for the loss of profits from the WC customers, given the gaming world is practically saturated with RPGs and if Wizardry 8 makes money like it should, then I suspect UOL will suffer. I don't think it is an online game, but it will drain the Ultima pan, as will other companies that are making good money on online games (well not strictly online).

I'm really not sure this is a good a plan as it is hoped to be as it is putting all their eggs in one big basket.

Time to get cracking on those fan made games. Maybe this all might be good for the source code release project. Then again if they are really clamping down on all cash drains...

Well, one thing that seems strange to me is how many UO games they will make. There's already some talk in there about UO3 and an add-on to UO2. U9 is suposed to be the last of the Ultima games, so does OSI expect to make UO games for the next decade?

Anyhow, I'm still confident that WC will make a big comeback, even if it'll take some time. As for now, I'll start hoping that someone will finaly make a game that would compare to WC and Priv games.

And if anyone will come here and start bitching that we should stop being WC fans I will reep them to shreads and feed them to my cat.
smile.gif

Thou shall feel my wrath if thou pisses of I!

Even if OSI will never make any WC games (wich is rather unlikely) WC will still live.

This news sickens me deeply. How could they do this? I'll never believe it as long as I walk the earth. WC is one of the greatest things ever and many people agree with me on this, I assume.

But there is hope...

seeing how WC is a very popular and respected series, its "demise", courtesy of Origin/EA is not going to be taken lightly by anyone. I wouldn't be surprised to see something in the form of an extreme outburst of anger by the fans. I, for one, will not just sit back and wait as WC is liquidated.

It ain't over til its over, folks!!!!!!

------------------
We shall slice of their heads and thrust them upon tiki sticks!

Chris Reid, and everybody else: NOW is the time to actually support the source code project. I know that most people assume that it has no chance of succeeding... and they're probably right. It most definitely is a longshot project... but so was the Temblor bomb. If we could a. Get enough signatures, and b. Get the right e-mail addresses, then this really COULD work.
Of course, fan-made games - even ones based on the original source-code will never be anything like the original games; but it's better than nothing. And if we were to focus on improving the original games instead of making new ones... hell, there's no chance we could ever make POL, but we could at least make Priv with network support.

So basically, what I'm saying is this. Give all the support you can muster to the Source Code Project - simply because we've got nothing to lose now, and plenty to gain.

------------------
The WC Source Code Release Project needs you!

We do have plenty to gain now. I say the situation isn't even close to being dire enough to have the source code project as our only recourse. Of course it's a nice project out there.. but we're currently evaluating a number of options. You might send another package of info to news@ for the main page.. but also expect a bit of explanation on where we're going in general.. it wont be limited stuff.

Well... I can't wait for your update about our options. Because frankly, I'm so stunned by this that about all I could think of right away was the source code project.
I will send you an update on the Project later today. BTW... these contacts that prefered to remain anonymous... is there any chance that they can help with getting the code released? Of course, you'd have to be the one talking to them, since to us, they are anonymous.
smile.gif

Well, seeing as Origin doesn't really have active personnel working on Wing Commander, it goes without saying that the sources themselves don't have the most direct connection to OSI at this point. But we're seeing what we can do.
smile.gif

Good to know that the people here still have some cards to play.
smile.gif

------------------
"This matter winds itself ever in new riddles.", Faramir - The Lord of The Rings

"...we follow the sun, we follow the sun, we follow the sun..."

<Sigh> Mad Hatter, we have around 45 signatures. That is all...

As for your signature... if you sent it, then we have it. I don't know for sure, since all the signatures are sent to Jumper.

------------------
The WC Source Code Release Project needs you!

First, there are always things that can be done. I am personally thinking of a couple myself... Though I bet others are currently thinking the same thing.

Second, yelling at OSI, saying they're stupid won't help. The only way to help is to either begin a project that will keep WC alive or begin one yourself. Complaining to us the WC is currently at a standstill won't help, you have to be productive or send a well worded complaint letter to the company itself (flames never help).

So don't give up hope, just keep being fans like always, but put more effort into it so that we can convince OSI that Wing Commander is a profitable buisness.

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC

Well, of course yelling won't help. Origin certainly won't revive WC just because they get a load of flames.

Yeah, but stating the obvious helps in situations like this because people can sometimes be stupid at times like this.

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC

Back