What if...?

Earthworm: Can you not understand a simple post. I said even FS and X-wing were better briefings than in WCP because they at least had a human voice to connect with. A cold sterile voice sucks worse than anything. A good voice actor (the gravelly voiced commander in FS2 for example) can make a big difference. Yes, briefings with people in them are better (Oh wait, I already mentioned that in my previous post). And I never said I didn't like her (very few) briefings she gave. They could have easily used her voice for the briefings though and that would have made it much better because you could connect with a human voice. Even if it wasn't her voice any persons would have been good.

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

http://www.ntr.net/~vondoom

That's what I was referring to, DeltaKiller.

Wedge: Blair was also a lowly lieutenant in WC1 (at the beginning at least), but Colonel Halcyon still found the time to brief him personally on his objectives. Okay, sure back then they didn't have the ICIS, and I will admit the ICIS is more efficient (in the real world and the WC world), but efficient doesn't always mean better.

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

"Let's get started, shall we?"
smile.gif

Dralthi5: Yes, there most certainly are parts which are recycled. But fortunately, there's enough variety so that one doesn't notice it... unlike WCP
smile.gif
. The CAG seems to love to develop new strategies
wink2.gif

The ICIS, however, has one major advantage over the previous briefing sequences. That is, it can be completely customised.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vondoom said:
Can you not understand a simple post.
Can't you not understand my simple opinion?
smile.gif
I said even FS and X-wing were better briefings than in WCP because they at least had a human voice to connect with.
I don't know about you, but I can't really connect with a voice, unless I know the person to whom it belongs. So, like I said, the ICIS voice, or the two CO voices in FS aren't any different to me.

They could have easily used her voice for the briefings though and that would have made it much better because you could connect with a human voice. Even if it wasn't her voice any persons would have been good.
Again, how can you really *connect* with a voice unless you know the person to whom it belongs? Yes, if they used Drakes voice it would have been great, but if they just used some voice actor, it wouldn't make a damn difference to me.

See, to me a human voice that actually has emotion of some sorts would be a helluva lot preferable to a robotic monotone such as we heard in Prophecy.

------------------

It sounds like they just scrounged the vocal chip from "Bitchin' Betty"
smile.gif

Actually, the briefing voice sounds a lot more harsh in SO.

The only computer voice in Prophecy that ever pissed me off was the one in the sim. Other than that, I really didn't care.

Secondary, it's been a while since I played FS, but I certainly don't recall anything that would distinguish the brifing voice in that game. Hell, even the voice acting during the actuall missions was terrible.

Oooh, he wasn't that bad was he? I recall a couple of people here saying they actually liked the simulator VO's

The sim voice of wcp is extremely annoying...at least i find it to be...especially if you know what it is going to say and you just wanna get on with it...for example one of my favourite past times is hopping into a piranah and toasting 2 corvettes (yes it can be done without getting a scratch and without cheating and on nightmare
smile.gif
)) ) and i've got this stupid voice going on and on and on and i'm going c'mon!

You people don't appreciate what you've got
smile.gif
. The WCP sim voice is far, far more bearable than the Confed computer voice in WC4.

I liked the WCP sim voice. It made me think of what God would sound like or something...
smile.gif

------------------

Quarto said:
The WCP sim voice is far, far more bearable than the Confed computer voice in WC4.

I haven't had the time to replay WC4 yet, but I dunno, for some reason I feel more comfortable with a 'female' computer voice. Though I suppose that's why they call it 'Bitching Betty'

It happens.
wink2.gif

For some reason I agree with you, Wedge. I wonder why that is...

------------------

The best voice in the series was the WC3 computer voice, like when you finish a mission it actually sounds like the computer has a shred of humanity. Oh and I thought that the WCP sim voice had more emotion then the ICIS voice, that one was just cold.

Dralthi5 said:
For some reason I agree with you, Wedge. I wonder why that is...

Must be cos all hot-shot pilots are guys who appreciate a soothing voice at the end of a mission. Seriously, though, I'm not being sexist.

Back to the main topic... and with one intrigueing idea:

We all know that Origin is not making good use of the Wing Commander franchise, and even the one attempt to ask Origin to release their source code did not work out very well.

Anyway here's my idea: What if Chris Roberts or Digital Anvil attempts to purchase the franchise. And if he cannot, what if we sign a petition, or donate some money (say... 500 times how many dollars?) might do some good.

-RVN

An interesting idea, but I honestly don't believe it would work. Let us not forget that Origin is owned by EA, which is becoming the M$ of gaming. They seem to own or be affiliated with every important developer now, with the exception of Blizzard. I find it very difficult to believe that they would sell any IP that they might even consider using in the future. Even if 500 fans and the original creator begged for it. And do be fair to EA and OSI, even if you are the most benevolent company in the world, it would be very hard to part with a major franchise like WC, even if you are not using it to its fullest (or at all) at the moment.

Personally, I would really love to see WC back in the hands of Chris Roberts. Heck, even if he didn't do a great job of it because he was abosorbed in the Lancer universe, it would still be better than nothing. And who better to take it over than the originator?

Unfortunately, I think it would take a very big, very coordinated effort, spearheaded by a CR who really, really cared about getting WC back into his hands. And I am not sure if Roberts feels that way anymore. But, if it could be done...it would be very cool...

Back