What if...?

I read this article about the Wing Commander movie somewhere in Gamespot, and I saw somewhere, that Chris Roberts did approach Origin with an idea of a Wing Commander movie, set around the first Nephilem encounter, which can be released the same time as Wing Commander Prophecy.

I wonder... what would've happen if the movie was set in 2681 instead of 2654? Using the same actors, of course...

-RVN

Really, I hadn't heard that. Interesting...

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

Johann Cooper said:
yeah, they seemed to lose the storytelling ability after wc4, don't you think?
No, they just seemed to loose more than half the budget for making Prophecy...

Personally, I think it would have been great if they made a movie and Prophecy at the same time, with basicly the same story. Since Prophecy opens up a new chapter of WC, CR would have much more open space to develop the story, and there wouldn't be any people bitching about the movie not fitting in with the games!
smile.gif
And Prophecy would use most of the scenes from the movie, so it's costs would be smaller, and it could have more story.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, we were arguing a while back about how the Kilrathi from the movie looked. Someone mentioned that there didn't seem to be anything wrong with Kilrathi shaving if humans did, but I just thought fur on a Kilrathi was a big thing not to be taken lightly. Else, why would they make such a point saying "Fight, furless freak!"

Hey, they do have fur! Some of the movie Kilrathi have beards.
smile.gif

There were several threads were people argued about the possible advantages of CIG over FMV. Certainly, a CGI that's not of movie quality would be less expensive, and you wouldn't have to hire any name actors, but I just wouldn't want to see a WC game without FMV. The thing that bothers me the most about CGI, is how hard it tries to look realistic, but fails at it. Most of the older CGI is too polished, everything is so smooth, CGI characters don't have any wrinkels, facial hair. Now, CGI is much improved, but still not realistic enough. IMO, the perfect solution for the next WC game would be to use FMV for all conversations, briefings, etc and CGI for any scenes in space, or battles between marines and the bugs.

Also, about the movie storyline. I think it was great. I mean, it's no epic, but it's an above average sci-fi movie. Humanity wasn't portrayed as being perfect; there were factions, and racism, and everything else that we experience today. Capships were cramped from inside, portraying the fact that every faction would try and save as much money as possible when building something so large, and therefore try to put as much stuff inside a small cap ship as possible.

[This message has been edited by Earthworm (edited October 29, 2000).]

Last edited by a moderator:
"I realise that the accommodations may not be quite what you're used to..."

Am I right in thinking that the Concordia was the flagship, in much the same way as the Midway is? Certainly the Victory felt a bit smaller, and the Intrepid really had that 'badly damaged' feel. Although the Lexington did seem a bit more comfortable.

About the CGIs and briefing, the CGI weren't so many in the movie, except of the quasar/pulsar and jump sequence... and probably during the combat... oh yeah, and during Towlyn's (I'm writing this deliberately) assessment of the Vega sector... but I wish they had more.

Prophecy... almost anything which could be done CGI I think was already CGI, and the briefing sequences... ICIS instead of the ol' fashion map table... that was really cool. Compare with StarLancer's briefing by Donna Enriquez (did I got her name right?)

Also, in the movie, the only briefing sequence was when Angel conducting prior the attack on the Kilrathi command ship... and it looked a bit... improptu?

Anyway... they should give us more ship interior looks in the movie. We only got to see the cabin, the bridge, torpedo rooms, flight deck... bar room...

And the Concordia... I think it should've appeared more during the film. Something like... more action.

-RVN

Actually my favorite briefings were in WC2. They told alot of the story and it felt like a real briefing. WC3 and 4's were also good because of that same personal feeling that helped to convey the story. WCP briefing room was cool but the ICIS blew. It was the most sterile briefing I had ever heard and I could not connect to it. Even the X-wing series as FS's briefings were better because real people were giving them. The cold computer voice in WCP just disconnected me from the game. I understand why they did that but they should have had the CAG's voice giving the briefing insted of the ICIS computer. The less amount of action in the WCM was due solely to the budget. If CR would have had twice that I think we would have seen a very different movie.

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

http://www.ntr.net/~vondoom

Vondoom said:
Even the X-wing series as FS's briefings were better because real people were giving them.
Yeah, I especially liked the briefings given by your CO in the FS series. The one you never see, and have absolutely no contact with, which makes him about as important as a computer voice.
The cold computer voice in WCP just disconnected me from the game. I understand why they did that but they should have had the CAG's voice giving the briefing insted of the ICIS computer.
The Midway does carry three wings, each with different assignments. If the CAG was to give briefings individually, it would have taken too much time, so each wing has their own briefing in the ICIS. And CAG Drake does make a few briefings by herself, like the one about the wormhole.

I agree that they should have at least had the CAG's voice to do the briefings.

Hey, is it just me, or are a lot of the briefings in WC3 just repeated scenes with Jason Bernard's voice heard during the holographic simulation of the mission?

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

I didn't quite understand what you meant by that, Dralthi.

The ICIS briefing does seem impersonal, now that you mention it, I didn't notice that at first. But if you think of how the player is now just a lowly lieutenant, and Blair was a Colonel before, it might be easier to understand the difference.

A good deal of them are, I think.

It's much easier to just show a computer animation with a voice-over than to show the whole room (which itself is a computer generated creation) with Blair and Eisen standing there and Eisen pointing to a non-existant holo-table which is also depiucting the whole mission.

Is that what you were refering too Dralthi5?

DeltaKiller

The only briefing I've recall seeing repeated is the first mission Eisen gives Blair, which is then always repeated on the flatscreen when Blair gives his briefing.

"Oh, and one more thing..."

Back