What happened to Blair?

Blair dead, Blair alive - it's a cliché in itself, a plot device to keep the audience's interest until the next installment, or at least until the commercial break is over. To "kill" one of the good guys is as common as Obi-Wan, Dumbledore or Gandalf (all mentor figures), just as common as bringing them back in some form or another (we will have to see about that in one or two cases).
The trick is to evoke emotional stress in the audience, and to relieve it later on to create a pleasureable experience.

Let us be clear, though: at no time in Wing Commander Prophecy or Secret Ops, taken on their own, is there any suggestion that Blair might still be alive.

We see his ship explode and then are told that there has been a memorial service for him... that's the extent of the Blair story. If it weren't for our specific group wanting to make an issue over what could or should have happened, there would be absolutely no question. We don't have "is Dallas really dead?" threads, even though he suffers the exact same fate as Blair (ship explodes, body not recovered, memorial service referenced).

There's ample opportunity to suggest that Blair might have survived, and Wing Commander has not *ever* been subtle... but at the end of the game, Casey sits around mourning Blair, not winking and pointing out that he might still be out there.

There wasn't anything like that in the original Wing Commander -- it was retconned in Super Wing Commander.

(That said, it is like Blair's death in that it was something fans demanded in 1990... and thus it appeared in WC2, SWC, the movie and so forth.)

The figures show that 1.4 missiles are required to destroy a Dralthi, while over seven direct laser hits are required to destroy the same vessel.

You can just feel the love.

Blair's alive??
Yet somehow I doubt it mate....
I would be amused to see what kind of plot they would use for Blair's return.
Hypothetically if they "bring him back from the dead" to save the Confederation. He would not be in the pilot seat...he probably would be in the Captain's Chair of some carrier/battleship.
Hmmm Admiral Blair.....nah.....I think Marshal Blair heehee
Anyways Blair is MIA and we should leave it at that...no possible what ifs and what nots. That was how the game ended and the memorial of Blair was mention in the Secret Ops Manaul (It was mention in WC:p Gold Edition Manual) so we should leave it at that.

hmmmm fan fiction idea popping up now......hmmm Blair.....hmmm...cloning......

If Blair is alive, then they can't "bring him back from the dead". Either he's alive somehow and could return, or he isn't, all this other ideas don't make sense.

I never really considered the possibility of him not being dead. I mean, even if he did survive drifting through the gate in that banged up shield tower, he would be left pretty much defenceless in whatever creepy place the bugs came from.

I never really got the imperession that the bugs were more than mildly facinated with him, so I certainly don't agree with the theory about the bugs falling in love with him and making him their super-badass champion. I think the best thing he could hope for was to spend the rest of his life in some lab, or at least as long as the bugs were still interested.

Of course I could be wrong... That's just what I thought back when I last played through Prophecy. :)

A pity everything we know about the bug psychology is that of a hive mentality--no apparent individualism for a possible defection plot or anything (then again muliple queens or "overlords" could exist with each having some individual thought)....

Oh, sorry, just musing. Hmm...wonder what facts I can glean from the Encyclopedia...

Bandit LOAF said:
We see his ship explode and then are told that there has been a memorial service for him... that's the extent of the Blair story. If it weren't for our specific group wanting to make an issue over what could or should have happened, there would be absolutely no question. We don't have "is Dallas really dead?" threads, even though he suffers the exact same fate as Blair (ship explodes, body not recovered, memorial service referenced).

(Note: I just real quick want to tack on this disclaimer that these are only my opinions, and I realize this.) Fans don't talk about Dallas, I think, mostly because his character wasn't around long enough to really get all emotional about. Fans are a bit more drawn to Blair because he was the main man for every other game up until now. If the events of Prophecy were real events, then yeah - Blair could be MIA, there could be a memorial service, and that would be the end of the subject matter. He was just another guy to fall against an unknown enemy, and would join the long list of great heroes people wouldn't remember the next day (hey, that bartender at the beginning of WC4 can't quite place his face, right?). Also, we see the static death footage of Dallas over the vid-com in some cases in-game. In the case of Blair, all we know is that his marine LC never made it off the gateway, there was a spectacular flash, and all we see is one destroyed tower tumbling at the end that's suggestive and not too promising, but (from my point of view) altogether deliberately inconclusive.

Seeing as how this is sci-fi, though, my own personal feelings are that a character that has been so central to the Wing Commander theme for so many years and dear to the hearts of so many deserves something more from a writer's standpoint before they drop the closing curtains. If that means he makes it and he falls to a supporting character in the future, then that goes over well with fans. If it's going to be the character's swan song, fans need to watch him go to the bitter end and shatter a universe in his fury in that fateful final moment.

Bandit LOAF said:
There's ample opportunity to suggest that Blair might have survived, and Wing Commander has not *ever* been subtle... but at the end of the game, Casey sits around mourning Blair, not winking and pointing out that he might still be out there.

As always, good points there, LOAF. My own feelings on the matter differ a tad, though. I don't get the feeling that Casey's either mourning Blair or suggesting he might have made it. If there was one word to address that entire final scene when he's talking to Talvert/Stiletto, I'd use "uncertainty." They don't know about Blair, and they don't know what they're going to do. When Blair was around, everyone was confident about things. Now without him, they're on very shaky ground. I got the feeling that Casey needed Blair's reassurance that he did the right thing, and that everything was going to be okay. The only reassurance he gets is from Talvert/Stiletto who is just as unsure of things as he is at that point. I don't see sadness when I look at that last scene; I see fear. But then again, I could just reading too much into things with my own bias too. :)

Regardless, I have my own thoughts on Blair's fate which will be included in the aforementioned story/trilogy. But to reiterate my point, with as important a historical and adored a character as Blair to WC fans, I personally feel something more is required; something more needs to be told. In my mind, it's a necessity from a fiction standpoint which is why I think it's sparked such lengthy and incessant debates over the years since Prophecy left things where they're at currently. Fans of these kinds of characters need triumphant & definitive death and glory or physical immortality. Prophecy gave us neither, in my opinion, and it's far too sensitive a thing to just leave dangling out there.

(all below this point is an intentional side-note to address the concerns of writing characters important to WC lore, with the intentions of hyping the intended story concept a bit and alleviating any worries that it will turn into a generic and completely impossible fake within the realm of the "known" WC universe; my intent is not to hijack this thread; if it comes across that way, I fully honor any moderator's determination on its existence in this thread)

So for better or worse, the community will get my little fan project on this matter. Whether it grows wings and flies or is recycled into toilet paper is a choice I'll leave to the fan readers out there. :) As reassurance, just know that I'm not intending to go overboard with insane and random thoughts for this story idea; it's being written with a careful & profound level of personal humbleness and excessive planning, building on what we already have rather than wiping the slate clean and changing everything. This is being written solely for the love of the characters that I feel deserve another few chapters (especially after all this time), not to fulfill one of those ridiculous "hey wouldn't it be cool" scenarios inspired by Lord of the Rings or a Star Trek movie scene with huge armies appearing from nowhere or super-duper fighters being cranked out to tie circles around an advanced alien threat.

Seven years have passed. The UBW is still relatively poor and trying to contend with trying to make the most out of old rust buckets on the edge of human space, the Landreich economy is (likely going to be treated as) a secluded grouping of entrepreneurs and corporations weighing the business implications of siding with Confed against a rising Nephilim threat, Confed and the Assembly of Clans are both being pushed to the breaking point against an enemy that has been attacking both relentlessly for the years following the events of Prophecy. Somewhere in the midst of all the craziness is a ship of nobodys led by a notorious, dying UBW criminal sociopath seeking a kind of personal redemption for a mistake he once made. His ship, while of an unknown design, is probably roughly the size of the BWS Intrepid (i.e. "small" as far as capital ships go), and hardly invincible, carries a very small number of fighters & bombers (less than 20 total), and has every reason to stay out of the public's eye. According to a Kilrathi seer outcast along for the ride, the final days of the Kn'Thrak have come. Shady Confed Intel data supports the seer's warning - they find preparations for a massive Nephilim offensive the humans and Kilrathi don't have anywhere near the strength to repel. As the last hours tick away, and all Confed & Kilrathi ships rally for a last stand against the coming darkness independently & alone, this one pirate ship finds itself in a unique position. The only question left is whether or not her captain can find the humanity within himself to do anything about it, if there's even anything that can be done.

The story will jump around with a few different characters to a few different ships and locations, but the main character through it all will be Casey...and no worries - he's being fleshed out to be a stronger and deeper character than he was seven years before. Accompanying his concerns for the impending doom ahead are his thoughts of love and loss, of doing the respectable thing or the "right" thing, and finding out about a ghost he never quite buried all those years ago. Despite a few feminine passes over the years, he hasn't been tangled up in a relationship, unable to rationalize the who, how, or why of it as he took stock of his life's value and worth. Now with time running out, he's going to start figuring out what really matters to him, and what needs to be done as he's torn between duty and emotion. And he'll risk it all to find the truth behind the motivations of the Nephilim and the Aligned. All of humanity now relies on his ability to discern the meaning and players behind the Kilrathi Prophecy, and to try to stop it if he still can.

- Falc ~};^

I never really got the imperession that the bugs were more than mildly facinated with him...........

There had to have been more than mild fascination simply because he was the only human that was captured and found worthy to be released by them.

Dundradal said:
"You bore me Monseir. Disintegrate me so I might join my comrades."

Sorry, Dundradal, if that was in regards to my post. Angel, WC3 quote, right? Nice. Oh, to be loved... :rolleyes:

Anyway, used this post as a plug for my own project, and that ain't fair, so back to the topic at hand, answered to the best of my abilities:

bartreligion said:
What happened to Blair after WCP?

(sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm new here and didn't find the answer on the first 10 pages or so)

He was mentioned a few times in WCP the extra mission in the website text files in some memorial. But other than that nothing?

Any fan fiction about that?

We don't know (POW or KIA), Nothing that I'm aware of, Not that I'm aware of yet (which is somewhat surprising from my view).

Sorry to get us off-topic, fellas. Carry on. Don't mind this hopeless flapping head. :D

- Falc ~};^

I know what happened to Blair.

He drifted endlessly through the void.

It's the only fitting end.

Blair gets captured by the aliens and is brainwashed to help 'their' side ala Picard and the Borg.
That would be an interesting twist (although somewhat unoriginal).

I always felt he would still be alive, but that's just me hoping he'll be back in the next game... with such a long break between games I wonder if they'll even continue with the Nephilim story should a new game be made... maybe an offshoot of the Kilrathi war or something new entirely.

Blair gets captured by the aliens and is brainwashed to help 'their' side ala Picard and the Borg.
That would be an interesting twist (although somewhat unoriginal).
Talk about unoriginal... I think there were at least a hundred fanfics narrating precisely this sequence of events :)

haha - i never read any of the fanfics so I guess it was a popular idea then.
All the more reason for it not to be used then :)

wow, this blows my mind.. when I finally beat prophecy that last cutscene had indeed given me the impression that the tower heading into nephil space was added very purposefully to make me think that blair had survived.

And I had always assumed he'd come back as a bad guy. Since it makes rather little sense to bring him back and resume his normally scheduled life with no indication as to why he was granted a stay of execution.

so the fact that it was an animator decision, not the script writer blows all my theories solidly out of the water.

Who knows, that animitor may prove to be the decider of a major plot point for the WC series in the future. ;)

Back