What happened to Blair?

If he came back as a bad guy it would seem to me to be rather Jean Luc Picardish...still I wouldn't mind it. Blair was THE guy for Wing Commander...seems like a shame to end his career. We'll have to wait and see what the next installment holds.

bump! sorry...

I was going to say, this is what happened in the WCP GBA version:

Maestro: Hey, Casey!
Casey: Maestro! You made it back!
Maestro: SAR picked me up. It was to close for my comfort.
Casey: Where's Blair?
Maestro: I don't know. He didn't come back. Something must've gone wrong.

That's a good contribution, you're welcome to bring back old threads to post things like that.

The PC version of Prophecy has the same conversation. If you've only ever played the GBA version, you can download high quality versions of all the Prophecy videos and watch them individually if you want (they're at wcnews.com).

I would like to give my impression of the end of Prophecy, even though I don't think it will add anything new.

The whole last scene with Blair and the Bug kinda felt off to me. There was something about how the bug dropped down on Blair and his "attitude" that seemed sadistic, more so then wanting to kill him. Also the way Blair reacted and the sound of his scream indicated more then just fear for his safety. In fact when I first played though I didn't even notice the tower falling though the worm hole, rather I thought the bug captured him stuffed him in a Nephilim Space Fighter (Like a Devil Ray) and punched it though the worm hole right before it collapsed.

This obviously is in the vein of the "Blair survives" side of the argument. If he did survive then I imagine that the Bugs are running more tests on him. I doubt they would try to covert him like the Borg did to Picard (and I realy hope they don't). Rather I think that part of the test of the Aligned Peoples (who or whatever they are) is a psychological profile, and who better then Blair?

Blair had been though the best and worst of humanity. He was a: son, a normal person, a soldier, a pariah, a lover, a hero, a farmer. a betrayed, a traitor, and a redeemed. He saw his friends (Most of the crew on the Tiger's Claw, Vagabond, etc.) and lover (Angel) die, he saw treason (Jazz) and ultimate loyalty (Spirt). He had the full range of human experience, but unlike anyone else he was personally responsible for the destruction of: an entire planet, billions of sentient life forms, and most of a culture. And though it all he has kept his sense of justice, and the willingness to adapt to peace when soldiers were no longer needed. He's an exceptional archetype and the one truly prepared for any test of this new race.

So, basically I believe that the Nephilim were far far far to interested in him to let him die (let alone kill him). And that if the Aligned Peoples did send the Nephilim to test humanity it wasn't a military conflict they were seeking, rather the whole use of force was to draw out their prey. Why else use such a seemingly small scouting force?

As for why they just let him go after they first captured him? I belive they wanted to see what would happen. How would he act and how would his own species treat him. Just another test probably. The possible second capture at the end, would be to make sure he survived, either to run more tests on him or to just make sure he lived because they deem him worthy of life (The Kilrathi have their honor system, the humans have their honor system, the bugs likely have one as well).

Unfortunately without knowing anything about the bugs this is all just idle speculation. Damn, I really want the next game made. [/rant]

Back