What happend to Flash

Hawk

Spaceman
Can someone tell me what happend to the pilot flash? I never played WC4 so I dont know if something happend to him in that game.

------------------
I dont think we have been intraduced.Im Hawk your dead! -Hawk(ICEMAN)

Flash died. I'm not exactly sure how, but I think it might have been on the last mission of Wing Commander III. (I'm speaking historically, of course.) I think Flint died on that mission, too. We know that Maniac survived it, though.

------------------
Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

Flash died much earlier than that in the Delius system. Hobbes was his wingman, and while fighting the cats when the Vic was getting ready to jump out, Hobbes hesitated, and wasn't able to assist Flash. BTW, that was just after they have received the message from Thrak, the one that removed Hobbes' mind overlay thingy.

The three pilots that went to Kilrah with Blair were Maniac, Flint and Vag. Vag ejected before they reached the first supply depot, after they were spoted by a pair of Darkets. Flint was killed in Kilrahs atmosphere while covering Blairs run, and Maniac managed to eject in the atmosphere and somehow reach the orbit. Some of the missiles Maniac fired before ejecting helped Blair kill Thrak.

[This message has been edited by Earthworm (edited November 10, 2000).]

That is, of course, according to the novel, in case you haven't read it.

In the game, you can't fight Thrakhath if you still have a wingmate. God, it was so irritating back in my newbie days when I would sit for hours, reading a book, and making my wingmate kill all those endless streams of Kilrathi!

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

I just finished the WC3 novel myself, and I must say it`s quite irritaiting the way Forstchen kills off just about everybody in the book. According to the book it seems that Blair is in fact a real screw-up, and that Maniac was quite correct in saying that just because Blair got lucky on Kilrah, doesn`t mean he`s the only war hero.

Dralthi5, you still had a wingman when you got to Thrak?
smile.gif
How in hell did you manage that?

'Hatter: True indeed. It seems odd to read about Blair failing, doesn't it?
BTW, my False Colours finally arrived two days ago (I finished it the next day). Thanks again
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Quarto said:
BTW, my False Colours finally arrived two days ago (I finished it the next day). Thanks again
smile.gif

Boy that sure took a while, didn`t it?
I still have TPOF and False Colors on the shelf waiting to be read.
I don`t know what I`ll do with myself, now that I`m running out of WC books to read...
Maybe I`ll finally start studying...
wink2.gif

Mad Hatter said:
According to the book it seems that Blair is in fact a real screw-up, and that Maniac was quite correct in saying that just because Blair got lucky on Kilrah, doesn`t mean he`s the only war hero.
I actually like that Blair. Much more realistic than the one we see in games. I mean, at the begining of WC4, he just lost his wife, he hasn't flown anything for years, and sudenly he goes againts Seether and doesn't get his ass kicked. At the begining of WC3, he just came back to service after being injured, he didn't fly for a while, he's questioning the whole purpose of this war, and worst of all, he hasn't heard from Angel for a long time, and he fails his first mission. Many people seem to forget that Blair is just one of the pilots, not some super hero.
smile.gif

Earthworm: "Many people seem to forget that Blair is just one of the pilots, not some super hero."
That's right - a regular pilot with the uncanny ability to navigate jump points without a NavCom AI
wink2.gif

He`s no super hero, but there`s a reason why he got his reputation, and not only does he fail the first mission in WC3, he fails after that quite a few times, and manages to lose his entire squadron too. it`s just not the same Blair I played through the series.

Mad Hatter said:
He`s no super hero, but there`s a reason why he got his reputation, and not only does he fail the first mission in WC3, he fails after that quite a few times,
Which is much more realistic than wining everything... Besides, the only major failure is at Locanda, and it wasn't really Blairs fault.

and manages to lose his entire squadron too. it`s just not the same Blair I played through the series.
That isn't Blairs fault either. Flash is killed because Hobbes, who was already his true self, didn't watch out for him, Cobra is dead because of Hobbes, Vaquero is dead because of Hobbes, and Hobbes is dead because of Hobbes.
smile.gif
Then we have Flint who dies during the suicide mission, and two or so Gold squadron pilots that died in Locanda. And all of that is much more realistic than not having any of your pilots dead.

Yes, Blair is one of the best pilots, and he does have some speciall abilities because of his heritage, but those abilities don't make him super strong, or help him too much during dog fighting.

Boy that sure took a while, didn`t it?
I still have TPOF and False Colors on the shelf waiting to be read.
I don`t know what I`ll do with myself, now that I`m running out of WC books to read...
Maybe I`ll finally start studying...
wink2.gif
Aye, it did... but the timing was perfect. It arrived on the very day I submitted a major assignment. Had it arrived a day earlier, I'd have had to hold off on starting it
smile.gif
Hmmm... yes, start studying... probably a good idea
wink2.gif

Yes, Blair is one of the best pilots, and he does have some speciall abilities because of his heritage, but those abilities don't make him super strong, or help him too much during dog fighting.
Actually, it would. Thanks to his special abilities, he can make instantaneous course corrections as required, taking into considerating all sorts of external facts (gravity, relative velocity, et cetera). His course corrections are 100% perfect, otherwise he wouldn't have made that jump.
Well, guess what? You aim by making course corrections. Therefore, Blair's accuracy should be a thousand times better than anybody else's, and without even touching the ITTS.

Quarto said:
Actually, it would. Thanks to his special abilities, he can make instantaneous course corrections as required, taking into considerating all sorts of external facts (gravity, relative velocity, et cetera). His course corrections are 100% perfect, otherwise he wouldn't have made that jump.
Well, guess what? You aim by making course corrections. Therefore, Blair's accuracy should be a thousand times better than anybody else's, and without even touching the ITTS.
Handling of his fighter could be better, like demonstrated by some Pilgrim pilots in PS, but that doesn't mean he would such an excelent pilot, neither would be his aim. The Pilgrims don't use "The Force" to guide their torpedos into the little vents on those huge Confed ships you know.
smile.gif

I don't think you understand, Earthworm. Pilgrims are obviously very, very good at keeping track of their trajectory relative to everything else out there. Therefore, Blair's mind is a better ITTS then Confed could dream of.

Speaking of using the Force, I was actually very surprised when, at the end of X-Wing, they made you use the Force on the trench run. The buggers actually made it impossible to get a lock on that damned shaft
smile.gif

Not having read the books, I say it's very different to hear about Blair being Blair, as opposed to a gamer being Blair knocking off AI. In WC4.123106 you read about severe cases of 'hero worship' and after hearing about Blair not-quite-successes, I guess feel a little hurt that the hero I'm playing is just another pilot.

Speaking of the Force, I still say it'd be interesting to see a dogfight between Luke Skywalker and Chris Blair. How you'd make such a match 'fair' I have no idea.

Wedge009: Err WC4.123106 is a parody. The author deliberately changed stuff to make it funny like Thrakhath changing his name to Zeke & becoming a farmer, 'Panties' & 'Hulk,' 'Puff Squadron', the 'Hollywood Marines,' 'Papillon Station,' the list is endless.
Besides Blair's successes far outweigh his fialures. Let's see now: he destroyed the Kilrathi Imperial HQ, the Sivar dreadnought & helped save the Firekkans in WC1. He destroyed K'Tithrak Mang, shot down Thrak, saved Ghorah Khar, killed Jazz, destroyed the Mandarins more or less single handedly
wink2.gif
in WC2. In WC3 "so a guy get's lucky on 1 bombing run, happens to wipe out an enemy we've been fighting for eons..." In WC4 he foils Tolwyn's dastardly plot. So he stuffs up a patrol & Locanda gets dusted on his watch - big deal.
As for Blair vs Skywalker put them both in X Wings & have them go at it for a few sorties. Then put them both in Excaliburs & have them go at it for a few more sorties. Then total up the average scores & presto.

As for university or otherwise examinations when do you guys finish?

I used the WC4.123106 example to make a point that, although not quite as fanatically as some, I really do admire the Blair that we see in the games (the nice/successful Blair of course, as opposed to bastard/losing Blair).

AS for uni, my end-of-semester exams finish in about three weeks. Hmmm, maybe I should be studying.

[This message has been edited by Wedge009 (edited November 12, 2000).]

When does my semester finish? In four weeks, this assembly votes on war or peace... that is to say, in four weeks, I have the last of my exams.

Heh. I finished on the 11th.

Penguin starts gloating...

Oh well when you guys get your marks you'll probably have the last laugh...

Back