What does the acronym CSS stand for?

I was added some things to the pedia and I came across the entry for the CSS Suffolk.

Now I know what TCS and KIS mean in ship names but what does CSS stand for?

Last edited by a moderator:
This was the alternative to 'TCS' used early on (and in some of the movie material.) It doesn't have any defined meaning, so Confederation Space Ship seems reasonable. It presumably comes from the 'Confederate States Ship' prefix used by the Southern Confederacy's Navy.

This was the alternative to 'TCS' used early on (and in some of the movie material.) It doesn't have any defined meaning, so Confederation Space Ship seems reasonable. It presumably comes from the 'Confederate States Ship' prefix used by the Southern Confederacy's Navy.

The American navy used the Prefix SS on some of its support/uncommissioned vessels, perhaps its the same here.

Maybe, Cascading Style Sheets ? So the kats know that the future-past shall bring their destruction.

Or just confuse them so much they have too much of a collective headache to fight the war. (Confed Psy-Ops-your future tax dollars (credits?) at work; efficient as ever).

Maybe CSS was the designation for Home Defence/In System Security craft. I've always thought that some of the more wealthy planets would be able to afford a Frigate or two as well as fighters for their home defence teams.

Well I think that Militia do need the ability to send their fighters to neighboring systems to pursue a criminal who flees through a jump point, etc., but that would probably be taken care of by having jump-capable fighters bringing a supply tanker along.

Criminals can have fully automatic weapons while the police (in the US at least) can initially only use semi-automatic weapons. Just because the technology is out there means the local law enforcement is going to use it.

Well I think that Militia do need the ability to send their fighters to neighboring systems to pursue a criminal who flees through a jump point, etc., but that would probably be taken care of by having jump-capable fighters bringing a supply tanker along.

This doesn't necessarily seem right, given the militia-as-beat-cops usage in Privateer... a neighboring system would be under the jurisdiction of a different militia unit.

This begs a question, though: would there be some higher form of militia analogous to highway patrolmen or state troopers?

Armored trucks aren't tanks. They also aren't guided missile cruisers. The only thing comparable to an armored truck in Wing Commander are the transports.

Back