what do you think of another WC toon?

Kain

Spaceman
the first couple of episodes could be based on "fleet action" and countiue on...it could do well,yeah the public only knows the WC name from the movie but the Godzilla(tristar) toon was a success i think WC would have a chance too
smile.gif
larry diltilo and the edens brothers would make good story editors/writers.

plus they will surely think of a toyline
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Kain (edited August 01, 2000).]

Last edited by a moderator:
I highly doubt there will be a new WC toon or Movie. Neither did very well and cartoon are actually fairly expensive (that's why even extremely popular one's like Batman/Superman have such short runs). There just doesn't seem to be enough push to drive a WC business past the games (and the space sim genre is in a slump right now, hopefully freelancer will fix that). I'd personally love a non-kiddie, non-acadamy one that was fairly serious but then it would probably do even less well. It seems until Origin decides to do another one it is up solely to the fans to keep it alive.

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

I think maybe a live action TV program like Battle Star Galactica or Star Trek, with a good cast and excellent special effects would go long in reviving the WC saga...Start with the begining....introduce us to the Kilrathi, war breaks out, with an on going series with both Pilots, Marines would go a long way.
Hey B5 survived with a war as its main story...why couldn't we sell the same idea or even go after the Kilrathi war and do the BUGS...everybody hates bugs...I think that it would work.

------------------
BLACKLION
Special Operations
"Kind of a bummer have your butt kicked by a dead guy!"

Another WC toon would be cool but like Vondoom said they're pretty exspensive and it didn't go very far. Most people I know didn't even see the Wing Commander Movie. I thought it was awesome but kind of confusing. I like Blacklions idea, the thought of a live action is better than toon. That'd be cool. Weren't Sansky and Admiral Wilson traitors working with the Kilrathi?

------------------
Here's to you guy's for doing your job, and for not getting dead (Mac from Speed)

[This message has been edited by Craze (edited August 01, 2000).]

I don't know, Vondoom -- if cartoons are so very expensive, why do we get 50-60 seasons worth of shows in syndication?

(Wilson and Sansky were both traitors...)

What cartoons are you talking about having 50-60 seasons? They sure aren't 50 seasons of new shows. A good run for a cartoon is 3 to 4 years if its really good (like Batman) and a few manage to go even further (like the old WB cartoons, though how many seasons that show actually lasted is hard to tell). Any show regardless of cost to make can be reshown again and again, that has nothing to do with the lenght of the show (like that crappy Single Guy on USA). As for a TV show, a constant war theme would be hard to do, you would need the very best writers to keep it interesting. B5 BUILT up the shadow war for 3 years and it was done expertly well (much better than DS9's really bad attempts to copy it). The only show I know that would be like WC would have been Space above and Beyond. Thanks to wonderful FOX planning that show died an untimly death (lets put in on at 7 on Sunday during football season so every freaking game cuts off the first 30 minutes of the damn show.... grrrr).

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

Do you mean 50-60 episodes? There is no such thing as episode seasons (episode is a singe show, season a year's run of episodes, for cartoons generally about 13, though sometimes more).

------------------

Oh, for the love of pugs...

Let me phrase this differently... and I'll use capital letters to help you understand.

SEASONS WITH 50-60 EPISODES IN THEM.

OH ok, I understand what you mean but give me one example of a cartoon that had 50-60 original episodes in one season. Hell that would be a new episode every week year round. Just because it's on every week does not mean it is new every week.

------------------

I also think a live tv show would be cool.and if they couldn't keep the war theme they could do a privateer live tv show sence its not all about the war on privateer and its stell WC.

-ICEMAN

------------------
You're like a virgin on prome night!!

Ah, now you're talking. You would need the war still going on for good effect, but it would be a background thing, coming to the forefront only occasionally. You could then introduce Confed and the Kilrathi whenever you wished, and focus on smaller things on each episode. But again I doubt after the WC movie fiasco that anyone will touch it. Not enough demand for it or actually any show of that type right now unfort. I just wish Origin would make another WC game but that ain't gonna happen either anytime soon.

------------------

When you think about it just the thought of a live action Wing Commander would kick ass

------------------
Here's to you guy's for doing your job, and for not getting dead (Mac from Speed)

As I said before you would need awesome writers to keep the war from getting tiresome. But it definatly could be done, just probably won't.

------------------

Awesome writers yes...but remember Battle Star Galactica went on for 4 years and that was all about them running from the cylons. They could do the same thing...introduce ConFed to space, the academy, war breaks out....we go searching for allies and resources, discover new races, add new characters to the story, love interest for the women, viloence and special effects for all of us....it could work. Just need some really good plot driven characters people can relate to.

------------------
BLACKLION
Special Operations
"Kind of a bummer have your butt kicked by a dead guy!"

Ok, I guess I will say it. Battlestar Galatica sucked big time. Cheesy and uninspired are far too kind of words for it. It was as bad as Buck Rogers. No, if they do a straight WC it would need to be like Space: Above and Beyond. Characters are only as good as the writers which is something Hollywood has never been able to figure out.

------------------

1) Sailormoon = 5 seasons totaling 200 episodes, and 3 movies
2) Dragon Ball = 3 different series totaling over 10 seasons with over 700 episodes, and 13 movies.
3) Gundam = 7 different series and still going ( Gundam Wing has 49 Episodes in it and is considered only one season.), and 7 movies.
4) Tenchi Muyo = 2 series 26 episodes each, 13 video only episodes, and at least 5 movies.
etc.
etc.

These are just 4 exanples of animated television shows that did very well.

If the cartoon was good, it WOULD do well enought for at least 3 seasons.

------------------
Meson

Wing Commander is more than just a game. It is a lifestyle.

Not necessarily Meson, because there's a very wide gap between "good" and "popular". For example, I don't see WC: Academy doing well enough for even two seasons - and it was good.

Also every single sample you provided was Japanese. American cartoons simply do not do as well. There is simply not enough following to keep it up. Something might hit it big and 2 years later it is gone. American cartoons do not get near as many episodes per season (as I said earlier standard is 13) and due to costs simply aren't worth it for a long haul.

------------------

Back