What are the S.Combat games now

try starlancer and freelancer.

every now and then wcnews.com has mentions a new space combat game, so look there.

The fad kind of died after the flop of Freespace 2. The graphics, engine, and voice acting (actors like Ronny Cox) were great, but there was no character involvement or highly devloped story arc. It was like Wing Commander minus what made Wing Commander great (Blair, Hunter, Iceman, Halcyon, Eisen, Paulsen, Hawk, Wilford, Tolwyn, etc...), the characters.

Also, where the sound FX was good in most games, the overall score in many, Freelancer included, was a bit dry. I think the music really adds to the level of intensity of any entertainment product.

The old series of Star Trek, a crappy produced, low budget 60s TV show, but with action packed music. WC3 and 4 are also good examples of products with exciting sound tracks.

I think the last phase has been Starlancer and Freelancer, since then it has been very quiet and all. It will be for a while until they bring up good game with a good plot to it

The Game Boy Advanced port of Wing Commander Prophecy was pretty nifty.

X2: the Thread was the last ''new'' space sim that played, it was OK but a little boring after a while.
Now i'm replaying for the nth time Tie Fighter, that Space Sim is great.

Agreed, Tie Fighter is an excellent game.

Some others that havent' been mentioned yet but are worth playing:

Tachyon: The Fringe
Independece War 1 & 2
X-com Interceptor
(An oldie) Star Crusader (1995)
Hardwar

Most flightsims of today lack something which made all the wing commander game
so special, you had the real feeling you were in the pilot seat, you knew your wingman personally, you talked to them, fought with them sometimes buried them.
(same goes for strike comander and pacific strike)

also there was something really special about the flight model, dogfighting was
really special, the feeling of being there...

starlancer made a good sequel, and when i get time off, i will start with standoff and unknown enemy

Didn't we just had a thread like this?

You could try Space Interceptor: Project Freedom. It can be fun for a while. But it's a very simple game, more a shooter than a space combat sim.

Actually, I was desperetly seeking for a free and open source space flight combat game(either campaign or space trading style) with a starshatter like gameplay to toy around with.

Vegastrike is the closest type of game I can get to but unfortunitly, the gameplay and sounds are a bit dull but I really can hope that can get improved sometimes.

Since space flight combat games(excluding starwars) will not survive in the commercial market(yes I have seen many many of simple space combat games being sold commercially). So what I have decided in the mean time, mabie create one freeware space combat game for everyone to enjoy.

And yes I am very talanted with creating and skinning static ships.

Back